Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
VGResource Pokédex Project: IDEA PITCH
Back by popular demand it's the TSR PokeDex Project VGResource Pokedex Project! It's been three years since the last time we tried this, but with X & Y out, I think it's time to try again. There's a new Fairy type which should open brand new idea possibilities! I think I learned something from last time and I'm willing to be more organized. We aren't picking up from last time. Instead starting over, having a fresh start with new members and new ideas rattling in our heads. But just in case you want to review, here is the previous topic.

A lot of the rules are the same:

-151 Pokemon limit
-No evolutions/ pre-evolutions of former Pokemon
-8 Legendary limit
-Make sure ideas are mostly original
-Make sure types make sense

Like last time we will be using the same Step-By-Step process of making a Pokemon.
1. IDEA
2. CONCEPT ART
3. FINAL ART/ SPRITE

However this time in order to keep things more organized I will have two separate topics. One will be for IDEA PITCH and the other will be for DESIGN.

Here in the IDEA PITCH topic we decide a basic idea for a Pokemon. What is it? An animal, object, myth, occupation? And what type(s)? If everyone likes the idea of this Pokemon we can bring it over to the other topic.

Right now before anything else we need to come up with our starter Pokemon. X & Y proved that the starters no longer have to follow too strict of rules. However all starters must be a creature that can walk on land.

Also to inspire some of you, here is a list of type combinations that haven't been used as of yet.

[Image: BugIC_Big.png] DARK, DRAGON, FAIRY, ICE, NORMAL, PSYCHIC
[Image: DarkIC_Big.png] BUG, ELECTRIC, FAIRY, NORMAL
[Image: DragonIC_Big.png] BUG, FAIRY, FIGHTING, GRASS, NORMAL
[Image: ElectricIC_Big.png] DARK, FIGHTING, FIRE, GRASS, ICE, POISON, PSYCHIC, ROCK
[Image: FairyIC_Big.png] BUG, DARK, DRAGON, FIGHTING, FIRE, GHOST, GROUND, ICE, POISON
[Image: FightingIC_Big.png] DRAGON, ELECTRIC, FAIRY, GHOST, GROUND, ICE, NORMAL
[Image: FireIC_Big.png] ELECTRIC, FAIRY, GRASS, ICE, POISON, WATER
[Image: GhostIC_Big.png] FAIRY, FIGHTING, NORMAL, PSYCHIC, ROCK
[Image: GrassIC_Big.png] DRAGON, ELECTRIC, FIRE
[Image: GroundIC_Big.png] FAIRY, FIGHTING
[Image: IceIC_Big.png] BUG, ELECTRIC, FAIRY, FIGHTING, FIRE, NORMAL, POISON, STEEL
[Image: NormalIC_Big.png] BUG, DARK, DRAGON, FIGHTING, GHOST, ICE, POISON, ROCK, STEEL
[Image: PoisonIC_Big.png] ELECTRIC, FAIRY, FIRE, ICE, NORMAL, PSYCHIC, ROCK, STEEL
[Image: PsychicIC_Big.png] BUG, ELECTRIC, GHOST
[Image: RockIC_Big.png] ELECTRIC, GHOST, NORMAL, POISON
[Image: SteelIC_Big.png] ICE, NORMAL, POISON
[Image: WaterIC_Big.png] FIRE

So start pitching those ideas! Let's have some fun! Pokemon

SUGGESTIONS
-Starters-
Kiwi: Grass CONFIRMED

Tiger: Fire CONFIRMED

Marine Iguana: Water CONFIRMED

-Fossils-
Velociraptor: Rock/ Electric
Dimetrodon: Rock/ Ground
Mosasaurus: Rock/ Water

-Legendaries-
Sound VS Sight
Logic VS Creativity
Zeus, Poseidon, Hades
Constilation
Dream
Rock Paper Scissors Trio

-Animals-
Capybara: Type?
Porcupine: Type?
Wombat: Ground
Mantis Shrimp: Water/ Fighting
Peafowl: Grass
Badger: Dark/ Ground
Polyp to Man of War: Poison/ Water to Poison/ Flying
Coot: Psychic/ Dark
Solifugae: Bug/ Ground
Swordfish: Water
Hummingbird: Fairy/ Flying
Koala: Type?
Scarab Beetle: Bug/Ground - Ghost
Opossum: Normal - Normal/Dark
Jerboa: Electric
Aye-Aye: Dark
Flamingo: Water/ Flying
Tiger: Normal
Fire Hound Dalmatian: Normal/ Water
Frog: Poison/ Electric
Fruit Bat: ???/ Flying
Donkey: Fire, Ground, Ice?
Water Bird the creates mist: Water/ Flying

-Plants/ Other Life-
Pea Pod: Grass

-Objects-
Coin Purse to Treasure Chest: Steel
Tiki: Grass/ Fire
Flip Doll: Ghost/ Fairy and Ghost/ Dark
Staff: Psychic
Glitch Bug: Bug/ Electric
Uranium/ Radioactive: Steel/ Poison

-Mythological Creatures-
Manticore: Type?
Cockatrice: Fire/ Dark
Siren: Flying/ Water
Gremlin: Fairy/ Electric
Mothman: Dark/ Flying
Tarasque: Dragon
Wraith: Ghost
Mermaid: Water/ Fairy
Selkie: Ice/ Fairy
Lich: Ghost/ Ground
Chimera: Poison
Ouroboros: Dragon

-People-
Hockey Player: Fighting/ Ice
Rock n Roll Guitarist: Electric/ Dark
Miner: Ground/ Steel
Scribe:
Harlequin: Psychic/ Normal

Thanked by: Baegal
Well, we could keep the Ram, since the chinese zodiac rule still somewhat follows, because even though Fenniken is a fox, it would still be classified as a part of the dog family.
I believe in Jesus Christ, if you do also, post this as your sig.
Matthew 10: 32-33

"32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."
Thanked by:
Going back to the old topic seems these pokemon have been done in X/Y now

-Squid
-Pumpkin
-Pistol shrimp
-and Panda

seems I had some ideas in the thread too, maybe I'll re-visit some of em.

edit: haha oh wow my old fakemon dex correctly guessed the fossils would be a t-rex and Apatosaurus, I even got the t-rex type correct!
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
Thanked by: Koopaul
That is quite a coincidence.

Anyway so far we have someone suggest the Fire Ram again. I'll see what more people have to suggest.

My suggestions: The capybara rodent, a porcupine/hedgehog pokemon and a 3 stage manticore.
Thanked by: Vipershark
(10-26-2013, 08:51 PM)Omega Wrote: a porcupine/hedgehog pokemon

Isn't that what Chespin is...?
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
I think chespin is supposed to be a chipmunk with a knight motif
Thanked by:
Now for some ideas

Animals
- Wombat ground type. has a fur pattern resembling kinds of soil.
- Mantis shrimp water/fighting type. Uses a boxing motif.
- Peafowl grass type. The male's tail feathers being a mix of different flowers and leaves.

Mythological Creatures
- Cockatrice fire/dark type. It's design mixing both chicken and dragon features together.
- Siren flying/water type. Humanoid with wings on the back and talons for feet. Always female*
- Gremlin fairy/electric type. Uses a mechanic motif. And has a big grin on its face.

*Sirens are indeed half bird, half woman. Idiots these days confuse them with mermaids.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by:
Updated the first post with a list of all the suggestions.

Thanked by:
An idea that probably will never get into a Pokemon game: Succubus flying/dark type. Demon-like humanoid, skimpily clothed. Always female.
Why won't it? Succubi gather spirit energy via sexual means.
[Image: HcSQAM1.gif]
Thanked by:
I wouldn't have both a Sucubus and Siren as two different Pokemon since they are so similar on a thematic level. Beautiful women tempting men are really monsters out to get them sort of thing.

Thanked by:
The manticore could evolve into a chimera?

We should add a griffon.

I also had an idea for the legendary trio. Ill post it later though.

Edit: This is a copy of my Fakemon topic here:

"I came up with the Legendary Trio Pokemon (two in design faze, one still trying to come up with how to make it work). They will be based on Movie monsters and will be the trio of nightmares.

The trio are a Xenomorph (based on the movie "Alien" (Fear of the Unknown), a Werewolf (Fear of Beasts?) and a Vampire (Fear of ____)

Each causes nightmares in the minds of people and pokemon alike.

I also found a common thing among these three movie monsters, they can "infect" people to become one of them. So, my idea is that they can effect pokemon (and people), and they can become these creatures themeselves (the people would only be mentioned in the pokedex, the player cannot actually become said pokemon). So a Bulbasaur could become a vampire, Charmander could become a xenomorph, or a Squirtle can become a werewolf on nights of a full moon. And the types can change a little accordingly.

Like I said, I have two concepts down (one mostly final [the Xenomorph], the other still needs to look more pokemon like [Werewolf]) I was thinking that the Vampire can have two forms, a more humanoid form and a bat form. Those two still need to be constructed.

So, how are these ideas?"
I believe in Jesus Christ, if you do also, post this as your sig.
Matthew 10: 32-33

"32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."
Thanked by:
I really don't think those three concepts work well together as a trio beyond the "They infect people" concept or that they are scary. From a design perspective there's not really a lot to go on to make them feel like they BELONG together. As for the manticore idea, I always thought that Gligar and Gliscor were already manticore-like. Unless the project is meant to be considered completely outside the current Pokemon universe, it seems redundant.

On the topic of a legendary trio, though, consider perhaps the most legendary trio of the ancient world: the Greek Gods and brothers Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. The trick is to not consider them as three humanoid pokemon meant to LITERALLY be these gods, but three creatures based around their mythology, abilities and symbolism.

Zeus is the king of the gods, rules from high in the sky on Mt Olympus (making him found in a mountain area), hurls lightning bolts and can be symbolized by an eagle. In terms of design, perhaps either an eagle or maybe that combined with some other of transformation associated with Zeus, and in terms of typing Electric definitely comes to mind, perhaps combined with Flying or Fire.

Poseidon is the God of the Sea, earthquakes and horses. Its easy to associate his typing with Water, perhaps Ground as a secondary typing. In terms of design, perhaps something inspired by the Hippocampus, a mythological sea-horse, literally a horse with a fish-like lower body.

Hades is the God of the Underworld and Riches. The riches refer to how precious stones and metal are from underground, and all that falls under Hades domain. Since Ground fits better with Poseidon as a secondary type, Rock fits well, especially since there are some Gem based moves that fall in the Rock type. For his primary type, I was considering Ghost or Dark. Ghost fits his mythology better, and if combined with Rock gives it Rock-based advantages with less weakness to Fighting. In terms of design, the three-headed dog Cerberus in his domain can be used to symbolize him, so perhaps that would be a good starting point.

And if there is need to throw in the arbitrary fourth wheel to the trio, perhaps Heracles, son of Zeus, in the form of some kind of Fighting type as a bipedal lion-like creature (associating his design with the skin of the Nemean Lion, which he wore after defeating it as his First Labor).

Just some thoughts from a mythology buff.
Thanked by: Koopaul
I'd like to re-pitch the Rock Paper Scissors trio, since I think I've found a solution.
Types aren't definitive, but I'm thinking Normal/Ghost for the three (they are immune for eachothers' STAB moves)
They are all three classified as Sign Pokemon. They are known as the Chaos Trio.
Their abilities:
Janken Rock: Halves damage taken from and deals double damage to Pokemon with Janken Scissors.
Janken Paper: Halves damage taken from and deals double damage to Pokemon with Janken Rock.
Janken Scissors: Halves damage taken from and deals double damage to Pokemon with Janken Paper.
They come with the moves:
Sign of Rock - ROCK - Physical - Single Target - Pow: 100 - PP: 5 - Acc: 85 - May cause the target to flinch.
Sign of Paper - GRASS - Physical - Single Target - Pow: 100 - PP: 5 - Acc: 85 - May cause the target to flinch.
Sign of Scissors - STEEL - Physical - Single Target - Pow: 100 - PP: 5 - Acc: 85 - May cause the target to flinch.
Story:
During the war of the then 3-ways divided region centuries ago, these three Pokemon were used, one each per territory, to expose the weakness of their enemies. Surely enough, each army discovered that they had both an advantage on one neighbour and a disadvantage over another. This motivated an attack from all three parties. They all conquered the land of their target, only to find their own taken by their superior neighbour. The senseless rotation of conquest continued until the three armies were exhausted from their troops. At that moment they realized they were unable to bring prosperity to the people they are fighting for and declared a truce. This unified the region of today, but the three Pokemon were not satisfied. Their fued raged on without the armies they were guiding until they could no more. While they are believed to have perished, legend has it these three Pokemon shall rise again when another violent conflict occurs.

This could tie in with the main legendaries. Unlike Zekrom and Reshiram, whom have split to fight for a better world according to their vision (truth and ideals), these were seperate from the get-go and fight simply for superiority. While two of them can easily take out the other, their foolhardy pride is what keeps them seperated and fighting in a seemingly endless loop.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

I like that Greek god trio idea. The movie monster idea doesn't seem to work too well. It might work better if it was Dracula, Wolfman, and Frankenstein's Monster because those are the classic three movie monsters.

Thanked by: