Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Games that changed your life
We all know that when a book or film alters your perspective on life, it is a special occasion. When it is done by a video game, it is equally as miraculous.

The purpose of this topic is to talk about the games that had a big impact on your life. It could either be a single game or an entire series.

For me, I would say that the first Kingdom Hearts game filled that role. Not only are the story and gameplay nice, but it also changed my life for the better. Prior to playing the game, I held onto some strong negative bias against Disney. After playing the game, not only did I warm up to the Mouse Ear Crew, but I also became inspired to become an animator to help the company I now adore.

...... Too bad some people would point out negative flaws for that company, such as buying the rights to Star Wars and the state Disney Channel has been in for a long time.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
I dunno if I'd say any games have changed my life, but Shadow of the Colossus and Majora's Mask both changed my perspective on what a game can be, in terms of narrative, atmosphere and general experience.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by: Shade
Super Smash Bros Melee. Never before have I shown so much dedication or so much love to a game before. It opened me the doors to wonderful series like Metroid, Star Fox, Earthbound, F-Zero and Fire Emblem.
(01-24-2014, 07:52 AM)Gors Wrote: those are really fucking classy surnames you've got there

[Image: tumblr_npvw95As6k1tzzv2wo1_540.gif]
Thanked by:
If it counts, Pokemon and Puyo have helped inspire me to really dig into learning Japanese. (The former being a text-heavy game that I have loved since early childhood, and the latter being almost exclusively a Japan-only series.) Otherwise, I'm not sure if any games in particular have had much of an impact on my worldview as a whole. I'll have to think on that.
Thanked by:
Every video game I've ever played changed my life

because otherwise I would be a doctor right now instead of an unemployed game developer
(09-28-2013, 02:06 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: I dunno if I'd say any games have changed my life, but Shadow of the Colossus and Majora's Mask both changed my perspective on what a game can be, in terms of narrative, atmosphere and general experience.

I gotta tell, StarSock, when it comes to the Zelda games, no game would ever compare to Majora's Mask. While it lacks in the dungeon department, it makes up for it ten-fold with the ability to replay almost any quest and sidequest in the game and the story is far more unique than Ocarina of Time. That game shown me what else makes Zelda so good and it has been a very important game in my life ever since!
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

Thanked by:
I'd really like to post something profound and inspirational here but I honestly cannot think of any game that really had any impact on where my life was going ... except for perhaps way back in 1988, when the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt NES cart introduced me to the world of videogames in general. Sure, if it hadn't happened then another game surely would have done the same thing for me at a later date; but one can only imagine what things would be like if I had never developed a fondness for videogames in the first place.

... I'd probably actually have a life.
Thanked by:
Considering your soft spot for a certain pink puffball and a clumsy penguin king, I'm surprised you didn't brought up anything about Kirby.

Thanked by:
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite was a strong contender for 'game that could have easily made me fail University' if that counts?

The game I can think of that 'changed my life' is probably Animal Crossing, in regards to time management skills. Seriously. 1 TV and having 2 brothers meant we actually had hour slots for this with special time allocated to getting the new song from that blasted dog.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by: E-Man
(09-28-2013, 07:26 PM)Goemar Wrote: The game I can think of that 'changed my life' is probably Animal Crossing, in regards to time management skills. Seriously. 1 TV and having 2 brothers meant we actually had hour slots for this with special time allocated to getting the new song from that blasted dog.

If I learned time management skills from that game, I would be set for nearly anything in my life. Sometimes, being too distracted makes me seriously hate myself.

Thanked by:
Earthbound.

It really helped building my personality and thanks to it I found many great friends..
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: E-Man, Mutsukki
In that case, I should keep looking into your post for now on to see if I could find any that are inspired by the dialog of that game!

It's too bad I never got much of a chance to play the game for myself, though. I heard good things about it from almost anyone, yet I never got into a good position to give it a whirl. That might change one day, though. The game is hilarious from what I've seen!

Thanked by:
The Professor Layton series. It's what inspired me to try and become a gentleman, albeit not to such an extent as Layton himself.

Also Puggsy, since I discovered this site when searching for Puggsy sprites. This in turn caused me to join the community, which has had a significant impact on my life.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Be careful when you try to act like a gentleman, Puggsoy. You don't want to end up like Gamechap!

Thanked by:
The game of Life.

Such deep, much mysterious.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by: puggsoy, Sengir