Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Nintendo 2DS

Yes, this is a thing. I actually think I may be getting one of these, when I'm able to get enough money for the system, since I have wanted to get a 3DS and never cared for 3D.

The 3D was a throwaway feature anyway. Most people I saw using a 3DS said it gave them headaches and whatnot, so they always played with it off. If that's just what's going to happen, then why should it even be there? I consider this as an option for people to just say "Fuck the 3D, just give me the games," pay less and be totally satisfied. The design is a tad awkward, but I'm sure the would be gamers of the system would adjust to it just like they adjusted to everything else. Especially from holding a Playstation One controller, and then holding a large, fat and bulky XBox Controller when that era shift came.

What do you guys think? Anyone plan on getting this, who doesn't already own the console?
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
I actually kind of think it's a good idea, but I wish they had kept the clam-shell design. I never opened my DS fully, I found it to be awkward to control with. A slider to act like a lid is just stupid.
All things considered, I'd still save for a full 3DS though. Not for 3D, but for the closeable lid.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Kriven
Seeing as it's more for younger kids and the design is so that there is no hinges to break, I'm not seeing a problem with it.
I won't be getting one, seeing as I already own a 3ds, but I think it's a neat thing, and for once am okay with what Koh had to say Tongue
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by: Baegal, SchAlternate, Pik
(08-28-2013, 01:08 PM)Radular Raptor Wrote: for once am okay with what Koh had to say Tongue
You make this old man of 20 years' heart cry manly tears~

I actually hadn't thought about younger kids breaking the system, but that is a very good point. It was mostly a problem when the original DS models were out; I've heard people complaining about their one broken hinge and having to find a "sweetspot" to get the top screen to display pretty often. It even happened to the DS that was a gift for me, before I had to retire it and purchase my own DS Lite. I'm in agreement with Dazz as well; it would have been nice for this to be a foldable device, because now I'm seeing it's even less portable than the last version updates. It probably won't be a problem for me, though.

EDIT: Speaking of which, why isn't the 2nd analog stick peripheral being built into the system? I was hoping the next "version" of the 3DS they developed would come with the thing built in.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
Quote:EDIT: Speaking of which, why isn't the 2nd analog stick peripheral being built into the system? I was hoping the next "version" of the 3DS they developed would come with the thing built in.

sigh;

when will people understand that if they made this version of the 3DS have a built-in second analog stick, that would mean scamming off all the early buyers and forcing them to buy a peripherial to cope with it. Also so far I didn't find any games that REALLY needed a second stick.

also I wrote this in response to the whining demographics;

Quote:I find it hilarious that people are throwing a shit fit for this. First, because this game console isn't even for you. It's for 7 year old kids and younger. You are not supposed to buy it, your tastes and priorities are not the same as a 7 year old's. Second, this design is to avoid those kids from breaking the hinges in the original 3DS. Stop complaining about it being less portable than the original because iPads are also about that size and no one has complained about them yet. Third, they aren't moneyhoggers if you are not going to buy it. You aren't forced to! What's the problem in marketing a console especially for kids/people that can't see 3D? Don't forget that it's going to be released in the same date as Pokemon X and Y, and kids love Pokémon. tl;dr, this console is not for you, nothing needs to cater only for you, thank you very much.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
I was going to make a thread for this, but I figured Koh would make one before long

I was right Genki ^_^

I actually like the design a lot, I hope it fits in my hands well. I miss the old style gameboy,
I really don't care for hinges, so this seems like a no-brainer for me.

Also, the 3d is jarring at best for me, and just plain hurts to look at, so getting rid of it is a
plus as well.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: Baegal
I approve mostly for the kid-friendly design, in terms of having no hinges to break and no 3D, considering some kids who play might not be old enough to be allowed to use the 3D feature.

In terms of my personal preference, I already have a 3DS and I thoroughly enjoy it as is. I like this idea though, although I laughed when I heard the guy say "Brand New" in the trailer. Ultimately it ISN'T really playing anything new, just without 3D and no hinge, so that line I didn't approve of. Still okay though.
Thanked by: Gors, Gwen
just fire iwata already nintendo jeez
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Kriven
Why do they keep trying these really awkward button placements?
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
I like the 2ds. It's less expensive, and the features it's missing are things I wouldn't use anyways.
Like, I wouldn't really use the 3d much (there's only one thing I want 3d for and that's Touhou (and something like oculus rift but that's beside the point lol)). And I don't need it to fold because I never take my games with me; I only ever play at home.

Sure, these things may not appeal to you. However, the world has people who have different needs, and these things may appeal to their specific needs more than they do to yours.
This is... Kind of weird, and slightly bizarre.

As luck would have it, however, I was thinking eariler today about getting a backup 3DS just in case something were to happen to the one I have at the moment (I'm paranoid about things happening to my handhelds).
Maybe I'll get this, maybe I won't.
Thanked by:
Considering the whole 3D warnings written all over the place, it probably scared a lot of mothers from buying the 3DS for their kid. With X & Y around the corner, those kids are gonna need something like this.

Thanked by: puggsoy, Gwen, Baegal
I think this is a pretty cool idea. The 3D has never been much more than a bonus for me. I mean it rarely hurts my eyes and is really clever in some cases, but in my experience there isn't a huge difference if I turn the slider off. I'd be content playing 3DS games in 2D.
About the lack of hinges; I can see how it's to make it more sturdy for kids, and I like the general design. However, some games actually do utilize the fact that you can close the console, I remember a puzzle in LoZ: PH that was solved by closing the system as if the two screens were touching. This could still be completed by making the system sleep (there'll probably be a button for it), but you wouldn't be able to solve the puzzle using logic. That said, PH is probably one of the very few games (if not the only one) that actually did this, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Like Dazz though, I'd shell out for a proper 3DS for the hinges. Having the two screens parallel is weird, and I do sometimes play on the move (probably more so next year), so portability is a factor for me. And I do enjoy the 3D feature, it isn't necessary but as I said it is a nice bonus.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(08-28-2013, 05:47 PM)puggsoy Wrote: However, some games actually do utilize the fact that you can close the console, I remember a puzzle in LoZ: PH that was solved by closing the system as if the two screens were touching.

from what I've heard on it so far, there is some sort of switch/slider on the side that puts the console into sleep mode.
Thanked by:
I actually really like this idea
I don't have too much to add but might consider getting this

It looks like a less fragile option for the younger demographic they're catering to anyway (even though I'd rather they didn't focus so much on the casual gamers at least they're creating a casual, affordable system for them)

Good choice!
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
Thanked by: Gwen, alexmach1