Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Dream Fan Games
I wasn't quite sure where to put this. The Gaming section? Game Development?

Anyway this is a thread about what got me into spriting in the first place, Fan Games. More specifically your Dream Fan Games. Fan Games you always wanted to see get made or get involved in. I've been reminiscing on some of my old ideas and dreams but I know many of you would love to share as well. So here's a fun topic for it.

Post a Fan Game idea that was always super special to you. Not just any game but the big ones. I'll share mine later but why don't you share first?

Thanked by:
Proper Paper Mario sequel

I was gonna make one

but then I remembered im not talented
Thanked by: Baegal
That's sort of my dream fan game. Actually it was a completely original Mario RPG with original sprite style. But it's battle mechanics are a hybrid of Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi.

It would be a huge tribute to the series and greater universe. It would be dedicated to Mario fans everywhere. Featuring characters, locations, items, and more from all over the Mario series that fans would recognize and love. This game would be so jam packed full of content that it would boast having "atleast one reference to every Mario game" be it a cameo or quick jingle.

Mario will partner up with characters like in the Paper Mario series, however his partners this time are the famous Mario characters we all know. Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, and more join him as save the world from all the greatest villians from past Mario games like Bowser, Wart, Tatanga, King Boo, etc.

It's pretty much my ultimate fan game. But it's too huge to ever be done.

Thanked by:
A Puggsy sequel. Honestly, it would be the greatest thing in the world. Maybe I'll make one sometime, if I know that I won't be harassed by Traveller's Tales. Whoever makes it, I'll love it as long as it stays true to the original and isn't ruined like Tomba 2.

Which leads me to my next dream fan game, a better Tomba 2. The actual one wasn't too bad, but from what I played of it, it lacked half the things that made the original so awesome. Why did it have to go full 3D? Not only did this remove the 2.5D charm of the original, but models in those days looked awful, especially when compared to the sprites of the first game.
A simple graphics update plus an extra feature or two, with a different world and story, is all I want.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Wait a minute. Puggsy? Puggsoy? Why haven't I made that connection yet!?

Thanked by: puggsoy
A few years ago, I was working on a Super Paper Mario treatment of Luigi's adventures in PM2 (it had my very first textbox engine, so it has some nice memories attached to it lol); I'd love to see something like that come to fruition.

Related, but I just found out last night that Paper Bowser World fangames actually had a conclusion made in late 2011. As usual, the gameplay was pretty lacking, but the simple jokes and writing style were decent enough to hold me for an hour. That used to be one of my most hoped-for fangames, lol.

Also, I'd like to see a Touhou racing game that's a highspeed flying racing game and not another a kart-racer (no offense to Hoeloe, but I personally don't like kart-racers as much as flying racers).
Thanked by:
I never played those SUper Paper Bowser games but I heard good things.

So beside my Ultimate Mario RPG I have another RPG. Animal Crossing RPG!'

Yeah I was fascinated by some of the implied world and character interactions we never get to see in the actual Animal Crossing games. I thought it would be cool to see a grand world for these characters to inhabit.

It would be a quirky RPG much like Earthbound with it's unconventional themes. You'd be doing battle with wild Gyroids, Garden Gnomes, Bird Cages and other nutty things from the game.Team up with Rover, Kapp'n, Mr. Resetti, and others as you try to save the Holiday Spirits from a grouchy evil.

Thanked by:
Smash Bros Project

R.I.P.
[Image: Bear2.png]
[Image: tumblr_ljk17tWfME1qd7kbno1_250.gif]
- Sonic/Jazz Jackrabbit crossover -
Had this one in my mind since 2000. Sonic, Knuckles, Jazz, and Devan Shell having their own set of levels, showing each character's POV.
Sonic would end up being teleported to the first three planets from the original JJ1, in the style of Sonic zones. (they're inspired by Sonic zones already)
Might turn it into a comic story instead, since i haven't made many custom sprites and didn't want to clash styles.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by:
For years now I've had ideas for a Metroid fangame floating around in my head. Well, more than ideas, I should say. I have about half of an entire game planned out.

The hypothetical game would focus as much as possible on interesting gameplay mechanics (More items that aren't weapons and don't act as keys, different planets/locations having different levels of gravity, etc.) while building on Super Metroid's gameplay. Ideally the game would have been as free and open-ended as possible, allowing players to beat the game in pretty much any way they want, so much so that it would be possible for skilled players to skip "essential" items, or beat the game without ever collecting a single item if they wanted. Additionally, Samus would be able to salvage weapon/item components from most of the enemies, which would allow the player to create lots of different beams, missles and bombs and such.

Making this would be too much goddamn work, though.
Thanked by: puggsoy, Shade, redblueyellow
all my game ideas are fangames, if you think for a while

the difference is that I slap an original thing on top instead of using something else Wink
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: recme
Even though I could create just about any fan game I want to, I still can't make my dream fan-game because of this:
"What if there was a Mario Fan-Game with Pokemon characters?" makes it,
"What if a Mario Fan-game with Pokemon characters was about closing doors like Hotel Mario?" adds it,
"What if a Mario Fan-game with Pokemon characters that was about closing doors had some original characters too?" adds it,
"Forget what you're doing, Zelda Crossover w/ Castlevania now!" infinite loop...
Respect and Care
Love for People
Faith in Christ
Thanked by:
(08-28-2013, 08:27 AM)Gors Wrote: all my game ideas are fangames, if you think for a while

the difference is that I slap an original thing on top instead of using something else Wink

I don't think anyone here doesn't have original idea that they want to apply to an original concept to.

But then you have some ideas that you know were meant for a fan game. Or perhaps you always wished there was a Mario RPG that did this or that, and you Know Nintendo would never make it so that leaves the fan game makers.

Thanked by:
yeah, I understand

i just take two steps forward when coming to this kind of stuff; most game ideas i have start as a changed version of a game i really like, and then i continue shaping it to be 100% original

i still understand the importance of fangames though Big Grin
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
I'm waiting for that Earthbound 4 official fan game. It's going around on youtube lately. Cute
Sometimes I dream about cheese - HL2 Civilian
Thanked by: Pik