Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
25 billion colors ! GO !
Hi guys, it's been a while !

I've recently come back spriting seriously and I'd like to get some c+c.
[Image: OFaPC9i.png]

[Image: 2MKdz70.png]
I know the light source is all over the place on this one and I'm not really satisfied with how his hair came out but I couldn't fix it. And I'm not sur if his abs really fit in properly or if they're too exagerated.

What really bothers me though is the stupid amount of colors I always end up using on my works. It's insane. May be they lack contrast, but it always seems fine to me. Plus, using so many makes anti-aliasing a real pain and sometimes makes it pillowy.
At one point I did something more cartoony just to try to use as few as possible, but it still seemed quite a lot to me.
[Image: crash_bandicoot_by_zenaki-d5baulq.png]
How do you guys do it ?

Also, I have a huge problem doing faces. They either look to generic of downright ugly. Maybe it's because I try to fit too much details in it... I always end up using some kind of reference to feel satisfied with it.
(08-02-2013, 04:53 PM)Zenaki Jenkins Wrote: [Image: OFaPC9i.png]

Rule 63 Tellis...

...Seriously though, these are really good.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
One of the reasons your color count gets inflated is because you seem to make a new set of colors for each hue you use, rather than reusing existing ones. Reusing other colors may require a sacrifice of color detail, though.
For example, on that Crash sprite, you could lose the yellows on his belly, opting instead to reuse the peach colors from his mouth.

If you don't want to sacrifice color-accuracy, then you'll probably have to reduce the number of shades you use per color; hues that aren't taking up a whole lot of space can probably be compressed to far fewer shades.

Alternatively, you can use some clever color-picking to create shades that can be used for more than one hue, such as using one brown to shade yellows, reds, and other similar colors.

That said, I like all these pieces lol. I'd have to see more faces to be able to tell what how they normally look for you, but I think these ones look alright.

ugh my posts are always longer than they need to be