Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My return to Spriters resource (now VG resource)
Hi guys, after having been gone so long, I think I'm ready to start spriting again. I might be rusty, but, with your guy's help, I'll be even better than I was before! I will eventually try again at making a human figure (like Mario) but I'll warn up with something easier first like items and collectables.
But, first I need you guys to give your thoughts on how I should do my spriting.

[Image: spritetest_zps597494f7.png~original]

Will it be the first, second, or third?
Thanked by:
I'd say the Second... However the colors need more contrast because it's hard to define them.

But anyways... Welcome back, these are pretty good
[Image: 1lYIpk9.gif] GET THESE MEMES OFF THE TABLE! -Hiyna
http://www.twitch.tv/hiynastrike live when I feel like it... You just gotta get lucky
[Image: xG4BaYw.gif]

Also Love Stuff

Hey Look! I support stuff!
Thanked by:
(07-26-2013, 01:48 PM)Hiyna S. Blackfeather Wrote: I'd say the Second... However the colors need more contrast because it's hard to define them.

But anyways... Welcome back, these are pretty good

I added a little more contrast to this one.
[Image: spritetest_zps72bbc5ad.png~original]
Thanked by:
It's good! Though a little bit more contrast would make the sprite even better! One other thing is that the lightsource is a bit off, if you're not certain on how things shade, google up some references Smile Here is quick edit to show you what I mean
[Image: vi0r9.jpg]
(07-26-2013, 02:40 PM)Sinkin Wrote: It's good! Though a little bit more contrast would make the sprite even better! One other thing is that the lightsource is a bit off, if you're not certain on how things shade, google up some references Smile Here is quick edit to show you what I mean
[Image: vi0r9.jpg]

I heightened the contrast even more. (The white parts got a bit challenging) and adjusted the light source.

[Image: spritetest_zpsc9b42232.png~original]
Thanked by: Sinkin
Since it appears that there are no more problems with my mushroom. I will be moving on to sprites that can be animated. such as these:

[Image: MarioCoinsprites_zpsbffcd5a6.png~original]
Thanked by:
it could use some better rounding rather than having octagonical coins
[Image: curved_jag.gif]
http://www.twitch.tv/hiynastrike live when I feel like it... You just gotta get lucky

Also Love Stuff

Thanked by: Virt, TheMario360, Jamuk
(07-27-2013, 07:10 PM)Hiyna S. Blackfeather Wrote: it could use some better rounding rather than having octagonical coins
[Image: curved_jag.gif]

Well, the example you gave wasn't the case with these but, I did see they are indeed octagonal. So I rounded them out.

[Image: MarioCoinsprites_zps91b01d5e.png~original]
Thanked by: Baegal, Hiynastrike, Sinkin
You may want to add a shine on the coin so that it looks more appealing (for lack of a better word).

[Image: Retro-Coin-icon.png]

See the shine on the upper left of the coin? That's what I'm talking about, if that makes it easier to understand.
But anyhow, it's a stylistic choice, so you can leave it the way you have if you wish.
Quote:Everyone's crazy. Most people are just crazy in the same way and call it normal.
-Me

I'm DeathByJaguar, but you can call me Ricky, I guess. I dunno. I draw, program a little, and am writing a novel that has no title at the moment.
Thanked by:
(07-27-2013, 09:44 PM)deathbyjaguar Wrote: You may want to add a shine on the coin so that it looks more appealing (for lack of a better word).

See the shine on the upper left of the coin? That's what I'm talking about, if that makes it easier to understand.
But anyhow, it's a stylistic choice, so you can leave it the way you have if you wish.

I added the lighting effects and I have to say, it made them look even better. Big Grin

[Image: MarioCoinsprites_zps51ef911c.png~original]
Thanked by:
The coins lack contrast in the colors. The outline placement is ok, you just need to change the colors

[Image: char-coin-216x216.png]

as you can see, the coin is really bright and high in contrast, as it's made of gold. Gold is a metal and therefore reflects a lot of light and has high contrast. Try putting this into your sprite.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
(07-28-2013, 07:53 AM)Gorsalami Wrote: The coins lack contrast in the colors. The outline placement is ok, you just need to change the colors

[Image: char-coin-216x216.png]

as you can see, the coin is really bright and high in contrast, as it's made of gold. Gold is a metal and therefore reflects a lot of light and has high contrast. Try putting this into your sprite.

I heightened the contrast a little more but, just tell me if I need to heighten it even more. (plus I tried to replicate the picture in the sprite)

[Image: MarioCoinsprites_zps2270f945.png~original]
Thanked by:
Looks cool. I personally think it would look better with the shine on the opposite corner of the coin since that's where you put the lighting, but that's just my opinion. It looks nice either way.
Quote:Everyone's crazy. Most people are just crazy in the same way and call it normal.
-Me

I'm DeathByJaguar, but you can call me Ricky, I guess. I dunno. I draw, program a little, and am writing a novel that has no title at the moment.
Thanked by:
you might need higher saturated colors because the pale ivory with a touch of yellow doesn't really say it's made out of gold

Also Love Stuff

Thanked by: TheMario360
(07-28-2013, 01:15 PM)Hiyna S. Blackfeather Wrote: you might need higher saturated colors because the pale ivory with a touch of yellow doesn't really say it's made out of gold

I added a little more saturation, but, I'm not really sure if it's an improvement...
[Image: MarioCoinsprites_zpsa00f3f2a.png~original]
Thanked by: