Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Space shooting game
So I'm making this game, it's about a space ship that shoots at things. I don't think I will be adding any more stuff, if I could get my hands on some decent sound effects the game would be complete.

The first thing I thought was getting the sounds of one of my favorite shooting games, Axelay. The basic idea being that if I take all the sound effects from the same game, they will be consistant.

So I think, "piece of cake, it's 2013, probably all the sound effects of every SNES game ever made have already been ripped long ago". Of course, I was wrong.

A quick google search yields only the music of the game which is not what I am looking for.

Then I figure I could ripp the sound out of the game ROM, but turns out I can only get the samples, which are not very usefull to me because I have 0 skill in sound manipulation.

Lastly I thought about getting the sound by going into the game's sound test menu, recording everything with Audacity, and finally tiding up the files by removing un-needed parts. Everything was perfect, except for the fact Axelay has no sound test mode (my memory of the game was very jaded) Sad

So the question is, is there another way of getting the game's sound effects other than playing it with the BGM channel off? Because that, does not sound like a cup of tea, at all.
Thanked by:
moving to QIT because this is mainly a question.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Can you elaborate on "get the samples"? Depending on exactly what you mean, it could be quite straightforward to convert these into WAV files (which is the format to be submitted here, and I assume it's sufficient for your purposes).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
I didn't want to go into detail, because the initial post is pretty long, here it goes.

There is this program called SNESSOR, it's an old DOS program that let's you browse an .smc file for it's sound data. If anyone is interested in checking it out, you will need to run it in DOSBOX.

Naively I thought that it would let me rip the sound that you can hear in the game, but what it really let's you rip are the instruments that the game uses to produce it's tunes and sound effects.

As I said, those are not very useful to me because I have no idea on how to work with sound to make a combination of instruments sound like something nice.

Maybe I should just find another space shooting game wich has a sound test available. It's funny, as a kid I never understood why games had that feature Tongue
Thanked by:
Oh OK, that's a bit difficult then yeah. I thought you meant proper audio samples, but in this case you really would need to know how the instruments would be put together.

Unfortunately then I can't really help you, as I've never ripped anything from a SNES game. Looking at another game is probably a good bet, maybe it already has its sounds ripped.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: