Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SMW2: Yoshi's Island Palette
Does anyone have or know where I can find a palette of said game?, thank you Cute

~ CatezeeY ~

NOTE: If this topic is on the wrong section, feel free to move it Smile
[Image: Vb8vjwW.png][Image: uIrDfRP.png][Image: Jd3PZ8y.png][Image: BvmA5Pf.png][Image: 6L4ceD0.png][Image: LAKfOPp.png][Image: 10CGjip.png][Image: gEIdmj2.png]
Thanked by:
What do mean by palette of Yoshi Island? A single game can use hundreds of different color palette depending on the used sprite.
[Image: w5xqva2wqod7ni6zg.jpg]
Thanked by: Ton
(07-22-2013, 08:12 PM)daemoth Wrote: What do mean by palette of Yoshi Island? A single game can use hundreds of different color palette depending on the used sprite.

I don't know much about spriting, but I think he means the "standard" palette for the vast bulk of the characters. Since the background and the characters are two separate things, the characters get a smaller palette to help them take up less memory.

If the game runs into a situation where a certain sprite needs a color that is not on the "normal" palette, the game would replace one of the colors on the palette with the one needed until further notice. As a result, sprites that share the former color that was replaced will end up "adopting" that color, which could lead to some strange results at times.

For example, let's look at the first Legend of Zelda game. Every time Link changes his tunic due to the effects of a ring, all the NPCs sharing Link's tunic color would have their clothes changed to that color. This is most likely done to save memory since the NES cartridge had a very poor memory capacity compared to similar means of storing games in this day and age. Also, since the NES was not the best console out there, having Link and the NPCs have separate colors would cause the game to lag or glitch out. It would just be too much for the poor NES to handle.

Since Yoshi's Island was released on the more superior Super Nintendo, I would suspect that less "color sharing" would occur. Still, since the game has different colored Yoshis and the game takes place in a variety of areas, I would not be surprised if some of the enemy palettes change a little depending on those factors.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Iirc, each sprite/tile in snes use 16 colors and at a single time, only 16 different palette can be loaded in the ram. Each time a character, a background or animation is displayed, a different palette is loaded and each use its own one.. For example in final fantasy 6 in battle, something like 4 palette are reserved for the background, 1 for the menu, 2 for the animation, 4 for the characters and the rest for the monsters.
But i dont see what would someone do with only the palette. You would be better to have the whole sprite if you want to draw or sprite something in the same style.
Thanked by: E-Man
(07-23-2013, 06:01 PM)daemoth Wrote: Iirc, each sprite/tile in snes use 16 colors and at a single time, only 16 different palette can be loaded in the ram. Each time a character, a background or animation is displayed, a different palette is loaded and each use its own one.. For example in final fantasy 6 in battle, something like 4 palette are reserved for the background, 1 for the menu, 2 for the animation, 4 for the characters and the rest for the monsters.
But i dont see what would someone do with only the palette. You would be better to have the whole sprite if you want to draw or sprite something in the same style.

I think he needs the colors to create the most accurate Yoshi Island styled sprites.

Since a computer is more powerful than a Super Nintendo, certain palettes usually make no difference to the machine; however, if what he has in mind is a true Yoshi's Island style or a ROM hack, I think seeing the palette would aid him.

EDIT: I understand that looking at the sprites would help him, much like you said, but don't you think it would be a little easier to just get the palette, so he doesn't have to pick through each sprite to get the colors he needed? Just saying...
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Well, i guess the easiest way to get a palette of a sprite is with vsnes. You open the rom and then open the scene viewer and palette screen. You then mouse over the sprite you want the pallette from in the scene viewer and a white square will appear on the first color of the palette in the palette screen.
Thanked by: E-Man