Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Models] Little Wolf: and the 3 Evil Piggies
I've started on a project, I'd like to eventually turn it into a game, but before any of that I'd just like to make a scene and some characters.
The scene is intended to be a playful adaptation of the story of the wolf and the 3 pigs, where the wolf blows down the pigs houses.
In this version of the story the wolf is out in the Shepards fields looking to snack on a sheep, but all the sheep have disappeared, searching desperately he catches a glimpse of a pig running into a castle he'd never seen before, thus begins Little Wolfs quest to free the sheep from the 3 evil piggies castles (and subsequently snack on a few of them)

So far I have 3 themes in mind and a handful of characters,
I intend to at the very least get a scene with little wolf, a sheep, the Shepard, and the shepards fields (and the first pigs castle part of the same area) if all goes to plan I'll likely continue this as a casual passion project.

ANYWAY! what would this thread be without the models themselves?
The style I'm aiming for is meant to play on some nostalgia from PSX platforming games, my favourite of which being crash bandicoot.
So first up, Little Wolf, 420 tri's, 128x texture, designed and modelled over the course of 3 days.
[Image: nQ1zYHM.gif][Image: UakOi66.png]

Thats all I have model wise for the moment, but I will reserve the bottom of the post for designs and concepts leading up to the next model, I prefer modelling characters so against my better judgement I'll likely be tackling more characters first, regardless here is a first draft design of the shepards field area,
[Image: C967B58.png]

Any and all comments and or criticisms would be greatly appriceated (no matter how harsh, every tiny detail I can fix is a tiny detail I should fix)
Thanks for reading,
Bombshell
Not bad! Not bad at all! This would really make a good indie game!

How did you do the textures on Mr. Wolf, though? The placement is impeccable.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Very charming model, the concept sounds like a lot of fun!

Now, what are you modeling in?, i'd like to see the model with unfiltered textures, i think a more pixelated look would do more for appeal with the lower texture sizes you've chosen.
Thanked by: Bombshell93
Wow, that model is really good!
thumbs up to the 420 tris Smile

as for your uvs, i think you could optimize a little more
[Image: 36g2V.png] this is the sort of stuff that can be fused together
like that you'll have more space to enlarge the head space so the pixelation of the eyes won't be as noticeable
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
thanks for the kind words guys,
I use blender to Model / UV / Rig / Animate in. The UV's placement I was fairly happy with, I started by typical unwrap, realigned mirrored body parts to eachother (I wanted the tail and body to be asymetrical which admittedly I didn't take full advantage of) I then played around with rearranging the islands and scaled all UV's at once so they maintained appropriate coverage. A tip some of the kind people of polycount gave me was to align the UV's to 90 degree angles where possible so lines don't staircase, it helped a tone at keeping the lines looking clean~ish.
I drew the textures using a mixture of blenders model paint feature (to clean up seams) and Paint tool sai, which I mostly used the airbrush tool for, but finer details I swapped to the binary tool to keep things looking crisp.

Lexou I assume your talking about multiple samey colored areas, at time of unwrapping I had a much harsher texturing style in mind (a lot more contrasting tones and fine details) so I unwrapped it as if I were going to do so, ofc I changed the style (quite glad I did) I think I'll plan other characters better so I can benefit as you suggest in the face.

E-Man its intended to become an indie game but I'd not want to get ahead of myself, I have a bad track record with game projects, so I'd rather see how far I go with the models first.
Guy, for the sake of seeing what it'd look like, it actually looks quite nice, with a few UV fixes I may use it.
[Image: dqXJMWq.gif]