Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
NOSTALGIA WEEK [February Event]
Hey yo tSRians. How about participating in this small event of sorts? No competition involved; I just want to see creativity flowing in here!

I think everyone here were little brats some time ago, right? And you used to eat things, do things, watch things... It does bring back fond memories, doesn't it? Then, how about pixelling them?

This Event's purpose is to sprite a character, a thing, an object or scene, that reminds you of your childhood. Come on, some of you guys must've watched Bobby's World or Care Bears or something! Be sure to explain what you're pixelling, too.

There is no limitation to the sprite, nor it needs to be 100% accurate to the original. Give it your flavor to the characters. The objective is to have fun!

This event starts TODAY and ends February 28th. If this proves to be successful, I'll pin it and maybe extend it for another week.

I know it's kinda embarassing starting with a rough sketch, but here's my take on Anpanman:

[Image: 9tHP9KX.png]

I used to watch this since I was like, 4 years old. It's an kids' anime about superheroes whose heads are made up of different kind of breads. This is the protagonist. I'll polish it later today!

Expect really warped childhood memories from me. Mine's a blend of Japanese and Brazilian nostalgia.

TL;DR

1-Make something that reminds you of your childhood;
2-Post it here;
3-????
4-Profit.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
do we post said creations here or in their own topics?
Thanked by:
Here. I should make it more obvious Shy

We used to have a spriting event regularly, but things have stopped. Now that we have active spriters again, I thought we could attempt this again.
Thanked by: Bombshell93, Baegal
oh man I have a great idea for thisssss
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Sunlight
well I'll start up with Scaler,
I'd pick something older but the only things that hit me are transformers, a cartoon I cant remember fully and sonic the hedgehog, but I'd rather go with something not so obvious.
Scaler was a platformer on Xbox / PS2. for the longest time I remembered enjoying the game thoroughly but could not remember the name of the game, a good searching had me find it and so I'd like to blast its nostalgia into a pixel piece.
reference
[Image: _-Scaler-PS2-_.jpg]
also having my graphics tablet arrive yesterday I decided to take the chance to start from their and work it into pixel art.
[Image: gf7E8Bu.png][Image: P406vUS.png]

I'll be looking at playthroughs to get some references on the environments, they were one of my favourite things about the game, very lively and fun, then I'll work up a background.
but first things first and thats the pallet and character.
I'm guessing you are talking about the new sonic tv show and a spin off/remake of transformers.

when it comes media related childhood stuff i'd probably say...

TV shows
Child
-Barney/ Land Before time/Sesame Street
Early elementary
-Spongebob/Ed,edd,eddy/Dexter
-Outlaw Star/Ronin Warriors/G-Force/DragonBall (I preferred that over Z)

Video games-
-Sonic/Gunstar heroes
-Super Mario Bros Deluxe/Pokemon Yellow/Links Awakening/Dragon Warrior Monsters
-Mario 64/ LOZ OT & MM/Banjo Kazooie/Smash Bros/Oddworld
-Recieved a disk with nes emulator and tons of nes roms from a janitor(4th grade I think)

Edit:
[Image: outlawl.png] hopefully I get to finishing this

Progress
[Image: progs.png]
[Image: mugen.gif][Image: 41583772.gif]

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by: Gors, Guy, Sunlight
canvas resized ready for some background, and lighting and pallet updated, I've been watching some gameplay to get a better grip on the environments, very forest / jungley and very very fantasy, I'll be working on them next.
[Image: 7aoNpZJ.png]
[Image: YKVSkTT.png]

pokemon blue was my only game as a child. trying to draw my own interpretation of him.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by: Marth, Sunlight, Maxpphire
[Image: oldschoolr.png]
If any franchise defines my childhood, it's definetly Rayman.
These were the games that made me a gamer, and while I did draw before I played the first Rayman, I'd say it actually sparked my interest in drawing as well, as I'd spend hours drawing the different characters on the screen.
Rayman 2, while having pretty terrible voice acting for the PS1, was the game that basically made me want to learn english and make my own games.

I haven't played the new Rayman games though. Origins is apparently pretty good but I miss the old artstyle from Rayman 2 and 3...

The sprite itself was just something I put together in maybe half an hour or so. I might tweak it later but I wanted to submit something while still in the mood to actually sprite something.. Otherwise I'd just delay it :I
Did this a while ago, but that's exactly what I would've done for this event.

[Image: crash_bandicoot_by_zenaki-d5baulq.png]

Crash Bandicoot 3 was the first game I absolutely loved. I'd played it for two years straight back in elementary school, and consistently several years later. That universe was the only thing I'd draw that time.
And even now, I still can't complete it with all platinum time records.
Here's this I guess

[Image: brain.png]

I tried making it from memory, but it's been upwards of 15 years since I've watched Animaniacs

And I'll be honest, I kinda gave up after the head

Still fun though
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: Mr. Jam, Gors, Tellis, ~DrakoRero~
(02-24-2013, 05:36 PM)Sevenstitch Wrote: [Image: brain.png]

I tried making it from memory, but it's been upwards of 15 years since I've watched Animaniacs

Uh, don't ya mean Pinky and the Brain?
Thanked by:
pinky and the brain originated on animaniacs
Oh. I didn't know that! Hehe. My bad~
Thanked by:
Some of your choices really hit me in the nostalgia's balls so hard I'm crying memories

I'll extend this event til March 07, due to people being busy with school. I really like the progress on the sprites, and I hope to see more creations soon!