Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Vex tries Pixels (2013)
Well I realized I REALLY like pixel art, just looks so nice and refined. So I wanted to try it myself.

[Image: K6lpfPj.png]

First pixel, Criticism and tips would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
Thanked by:
I'm not sure if that image is at 2x size, but it is less pixel art and more drawing.

You have more than 200 unique colors in the palette of that image, that is way too many.
Sprite art is about palette control and pixel placement.

Reduced to 1x, the colors are all smeared together, and pixels are jagged and seemingly randomly
placed.

I's suggest you start over on a much smaller canvas, and pick your colors by hand, so your work doesn't
get filled with needless colors.

Also, tools that anti-alias should be avoided when pixeling IE brush, dodge, smear tools etc., because they
defeat the purpose of pixel placement and proper palettes.

Give it another go, we are here to help.
Thanked by: InsaneVex, Garamonde, Phaze
(02-16-2013, 08:53 AM)Sevenstitch Wrote: I'm not sure if that image is at 2x size, but it is less pixel art and more drawing.

You have more than 200 unique colors in the palette of that image, that is way too many.
Sprite art is about palette control and pixel placement.

Reduced to 1x, the colors are all smeared together, and pixels are jagged and seemingly randomly
placed.

I's suggest you start over on a much smaller canvas, and pick your colors by hand, so your work doesn't
get filled with needless colors.

Also, tools that anti-alias should be avoided when pixeling IE brush, dodge, smear tools etc., because they
defeat the purpose of pixel placement and proper palettes.

Give it another go, we are here to help.

Yes it is 2x, and I did use brush tools and such so, I'll stay away from that next time. Much appreciated. Edited so it shows the original size c:
Thanked by: Sevenstitch
It's kind of pillow shaded
Please watch me on Deviant Art!

~Novs
Thanked by: Thanatos-Zero
yea he doesn't have a defined light source. you can read about that in our Spriting Dictionary here.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Thanatos-Zero