Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripping Audio from PSP/PS2/Gamecube games question
I've not really found many useful tutorials on pulling sound files from PS2 or PSP games. I'm hoping to get all the voice clips from some of the 3D Mega Man games, and I'm wondering what might be the best way to tackle it.
[Image: modelbarsig.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde
For Gamecube games, you can browse their contents using Dolphin (Select ISO directory, right-click on an ISO and choose Properties, then go to Filesystem tab), and extract files that look like they contain sounds. I haven't done this often myself and I'm not sure which files you should look for, but I do know that stm files can be converted with VGSC. Be sure to try any other files that look suspicious though.

As for PSP and PS2 games, no idea how to get sounds from those, but I might look around later on and if I find something I'll say.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
there is a member here called Nero1024 who is pretty experienced in ripping PlayStation sounds, so I would ask him for how to do it. however, seeing as he's ripped Mega Man X4 and X5's sounds, and I think is working on X6's, he may be willing to rip X7 and X8's as well if you asked him.

as for GameCube, I assume you are wanting Mega Man X: Command Mission's sounds, so the first thing I would do, following puggsoy's instructions (the directory you want to look in is "Partition 1" I believe), is to look for .DSP files as they seem to be kind of a standard format and can be converted fairly easily. otherwise, I would look in folders that seem to hint to having sound files in them. if you just can't find them anywhere, then... I'll see about dumping the ISO from the game I have here and looking through the files myself.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Well I've opened up the games I have with Dolphin that are .gcm files and all the audio contained within is .dsp. Is there a good universal audio file converter you know of that can handle .dsp to .wav or a useable equivalent?
Thanked by:
that's lucky for you then! puggsoy's sound converter that he linked to above should be able to batch convert them.
Thanked by:
Huh, it's weird. I extracted it from the GCM with Dolphin, and then I couldn't add the file normally to Puggsoy's audio converter. I had to drag and drop and received the message' File isn't supported/doesn't exist', but like you said it was on the compatibility list.

I pulled the file 'boss_attle_1.dsp' from the folder 'BGM_STREAM' under 'movie' and since it was in the BGM file I assumed it was the cycled game music.

But I can seem to grab the .dsp files that are numbered (Such as the one under Movie -> BGM -> demo01 -> 010010000.dsp) which so far contain death cries.

*Update* Yeah, pulling voice clips is working great, haven't found any of the music yet but that's not what I was looking for at the moment. Thanks guys!

*Update 2* So I just batch converted the folder with the battle music in it. Some converted, mostly the audio files that play behind certain songs during cut scenes, and a couple actual songs, but not all of them. Got all the voices ripped, though! Organized by chapter it seems.
Thanked by: Garamonde, puggsoy
yea I can't guarentee how well it'd work for music but it works for sound effects. it's great that you got them!
Thanked by:
(02-16-2013, 02:13 PM)DameonLG Wrote: Huh, it's weird. I extracted it from the GCM with Dolphin, and then I couldn't add the file normally to Puggsoy's audio converter. I had to drag and drop and received the message' File isn't supported/doesn't exist', but like you said it was on the compatibility list.

Why couldn't you add it normally? That is, what happened when you tried to? Also yeah, the compatibility list is dodgy, I didn't make it myself and I didn't test them all so there's no guarantee that it'll always work.

Glad you got them converted though. A bit strange that not all of the files converted, but I guess they had slightly different formats or something.

(02-16-2013, 03:13 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: yea I can't guarentee how well it'd work for music but it works for sound effects. it's great that you got them!

Whether it's music or sound effects doesn't really matter, it's all audio. I mean the music files are sometimes differently encoded than the sound effects, but whether they convert or not depends on the format rather than the actual contents.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
yea I figured it should all convert, but music may be slightly different yes.
Thanked by:
(02-16-2013, 04:50 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: yea I figured it should all convert, but music may be slightly different yes.

Well, I got all the audios from the Gamecube, but unfortunately the PS2/PSP ones still elude me.

Are there any PSP or PS2 emulators that have audio channels I can isolate and just record the audio with a capture software when I get to the appropriate scene?

*Update* I've managed to use PSound to pull some of the battle voices from X8, I'm digging through a few hundred files to see if the voices came too. Doesn't seem like it so far since all the voices I've tried to directly open are unrecognized .pss files.

*double update* Using PSS Player I've discovered the .pss files are just the cut scene movies. Going to try to access this AFS file called 'voices' that I found. (Duh)

*Update for when I really should be in bed* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Found 'em.

Ok, g'night.
Thanked by: Garamonde
that's awesome! I look forward to having them on the site~
Thanked by:
Same procedure works for PSP Maverick Hunter X, although all the audio files are 25% too fast, but that's easily changed with audacity.
Thanked by: hyago
wait what?! PSound works for PSP games (or at least one)?!
I do not believe it. and I was trying to get the sounds from that game some time ago too. well that's amazing, and I hope to see those too!
Thanked by:
I can upload a sample of Vile voice clips from the Sigma Palace battle right now. I haven't found the audio from the little in game talking head cut scenes though.
Thanked by:
that's fine, I can wait until you can pull together a submission for them.
Thanked by: