Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ashura's Alchemy Lab
New to the site blah blah blah, here is some jello sprites[Image: WLKqlCZ.png][Image: ZUiTpwt.png] I do edits most of the time few times will I try a custom sprite, those jello sprites are custom while this[Image: iKVgw.png]armor I made of X is a blatant edit. Hopefully I can actually help this site in anyway even if that means to sprite rip. Any C&C would help, the other sites I know sugercoat what they mean, I want a strait answer on what the hell I have done wrong, that is why I joined.
Thanked by:
for now I'll comment on the customs because their much easier to pin point and explain the issues,
there is no contrast and too high saturation, the shape is also just a blatant blob,
I also recommend you post the sprite regular size with no zoom (we'll be able to see how it reads better and should we need to see it pixel for pixel we can simply copy and paste it into our preferred editing program)

I'd advise you try something a little tougher so we can see how good you are and how you can properly improve, something like an RPG overworld sprite or a cartoony platformer character.
Thanked by: Sevenstitch
(02-08-2013, 11:22 PM)Bombshell93 Wrote: for now I'll comment on the customs because their much easier to pin point and explain the issues,
there is no contrast and too high saturation, the shape is also just a blatant blob,
I also recommend you post the sprite regular size with no zoom (we'll be able to see how it reads better and should we need to see it pixel for pixel we can simply copy and paste it into our preferred editing program)

I'd advise you try something a little tougher so we can see how good you are and how you can properly improve, something like an RPG overworld sprite or a cartoony platformer character.
Well I already know I am not that great at spriting, and the low contrast was a poor attempt at making the Jello seem like it is see through, people like shapes are defiantly are not my cup of tea. I have a 8 bit sprite I can use though I never finished the hands though.[Image: bktrhuV.png] what do you think of this?
Thanked by:
(02-08-2013, 11:22 PM)Bombshell93 Wrote: for now I'll comment on the customs because their much easier to pin point and explain the issues,
there is no contrast and too high saturation, the shape is also just a blatant blob...

It's jello...What other shape should it be lol?

Also he is right about the contrast. It's very dull. Should have more shine. It looks like a beanie hat to me.

Also the term custom doesn't actually mean the sprite was made from scratch. It's just an accepted term. Even I use to believe that as well. An edit can be considered custom.

Also the X edit I wont comment on it's need serious work.

That little boss guy (I'm not too big on classic Megaman, sorry.) his right hand (the fist) doesn't look finished and this thumb on the left hand looks bent (broken). Each pixel matters in a sprite. One pixel can change a whole lot on a sprite. His mohawk looks shaped funny and his right leg could use some work.

He looks really flat by the way but I guess that's the taboo of 8-bit.
Please watch me on Deviant Art!

~Novs
Thanked by: Mr. Jam
(02-08-2013, 11:46 PM)Novally Wrote:
there is no contrast and too high saturation, the shape is also just a blatant blob...

It's jello...What other shape should it be lol?

Also he is right about the contrast. It's very dull. Should have more shine. It looks like a beanie hat to me.

Also the term custom doesn't actually mean the sprite was made from scratch. It's just an accepted term. Even I use to believe that as well. An edit can be considered custom.

Also the X edit I wont comment on it's need serious work.

That little boss guy (I'm not too big on classic Megaman, sorry.) his right hand (the fist) doesn't look finished and this thumb on the left hand looks bent (broken). Each pixel matters in a sprite. One pixel can change a whole lot on a sprite. His mohawk looks shaped funny and his right leg could use some work.

He looks really flat by the way but I guess that's the taboo of 8-bit.

I remember you, you helped on Sonic Factor's Mugen game, also I kinda have a hard time with spriting hands, any help to fix?
Thanked by:
Hah. That's me ^^" I just made the health bars to it. I'm not a wizard on spriting hands myself. But references are awesome. Look at the hands on Sonic Battle sprites. Those look great and should help a lot in posing fingers!
Please watch me on Deviant Art!

~Novs
Thanked by:
(02-08-2013, 11:26 PM)AshuraAlchemist Wrote: [Image: bktrhuV.png] what do you think of this?

I think its quite lot better than the Jello,
try something similar without the 8-bit limitations and we could get through some of the pellet issues you had with the jello.
But for the sake of critting this, the fist is a little bit stubby which is what makes it look unfinished, the tube to our left from the tear drop when entering the tear drop looks like it deforms a bit at the curve. The tear drop should be a bit smaller so you can fit it onto the chest (as is it'd make twisting your upper body impossible) I'd like to see more like this from you Smile

@ Novally - the Jello wouldn't be such a bloated shape, it'd either be a dome, castle shaped, etc. really depends on the mould but the shape here is quite peculiar
Thanked by: Mr. Jam
Ashura, your sprite won't work on a NES as intended. It has way too many sprites for to work properly on a NES. He will flicker as hell, with or without Megaman on the screen.
[Image: 3WBym5k.png]
Except, he is used as a background object with a black background. However background tiles will always minimally be 16x16 tiles big, so if you ever going to use your work in a Romhack, make sure you got enough space for both the stage tiles and the background object. Not to forget you have to keep the palettes you have chosen in mind, as you still need enough colours to make the rest of stage tiles appealing for the observing eyes.
Thanked by: Novally, Mr. Jam, Phaze, -Ash-
Been getting into Dark Souls a bit and decided to edit zero himself into Dragon SLayer Ornstein [Image: 9CvP1Jh.png] damn does he need some fixing up ha ha, but might as well post him to see if I can get anyone to point out the 1 million flaws :p

(edit) Slight info I forgot to give, I am actually making a megaman X game, I have no name as of now but I do have a pretty decent engine that I have fixed up and really, thats it. The turtle armor from my first post has been updated as well [Image: 7mnNUKv.png] thanks to TZ(thanatos_zero)
Thanked by:
i think you could use more contrasting colors for metal characters (but that would go against MMX style)... That green fin thing on his head is really pale, it could use a little more contrast.

the golden guy looks in style, i think, but idk what I'm looking at. An eagle-headed humanoid robot? Or is that a randomly spiked helmet? There's too much banding and outlines that makes readability difficult.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: -Ash-, Thanatos-Zero
(06-07-2013, 08:14 AM)Gorsalami Wrote: i think you could use more contrasting colors for metal characters (but that would go against MMX style)... That green fin thing on his head is really pale, it could use a little more contrast.

the golden guy looks in style, i think, but idk what I'm looking at. An eagle-headed humanoid robot? Or is that a randomly spiked helmet? There's too much banding and outlines that makes readability difficult.

Yes, I see what you mean, the design is inspired by Dragon Slayer Ornstein from Dark Souls a very overly detailed character, and I tried cramming all that detail into the small area.
Thanked by:
(06-07-2013, 08:14 AM)Gorsalami Wrote: That green fin thing on his head is really pale, it could use a little more contrast.
Well, I was only fixing the shading, but I didn't bother to change the palette, since Ashura can do this by himself.
Atleast he has taken your guideline at heart and learned from his mistakes.
We can certainly expect more from his abilities now. Cute
Thanked by:
[Image: 10RzYzi.png]I have made Double in Xtreme style. I am helping in a fighter that uses Xtreme style sprites they asked me to make Nightmare zero and Double, I will also be making Dynamo. To me my only real problem is the right(his left) foot ;-; I not that good at perspective. But other than that I think I did a pretty damn good job for a style I never tried before.
Thanked by:
[Image: lX2TJGg.png]Small update on Double along with him I made Dynamo, Yeah, not too happy with this one. But double still looks fantastic to me.
Thanked by:
[Image: Lhz1q41.png]Silver Hawk Darrel, a character I made up meant for an RPG I was going to make but decided to stick to my X fan game. I am still working on the "leather" armor look with a wood sword. I am used to metal shading so not part of my comfort zone.
Thanked by: