Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
distinguished gentleman [poetry]
I have a secret that Id like to share,
It's a badge of due punishment i wear,
I have a secret that none know lest
they be friends of the best.
I have a secret, that I can no longer bear.

I'm a distinguished gentleman.

It's not pretty, it's not rosy, it's not a rhyme.
I'm not that guy, who talks with a lisp.
I'm not that guy who goes out to the mall,
with all his girlfriends to check for guys.

I'm that guy sought after by girls because he
doesn't just want a fuck.
I'm that guy that wishes he could.
I'm that guy that who wants to just flail his dick
around in hopes of getting lucky because she's too drunk
to remember the next day.

I'm that guy who wishes and hopes and dreams
that one day, saying the word 'boyfriend' won't feel strange.
I'm that guy who has whispers that trail from day to night.

"Is he....? Could he be....?"
Yes, IM GAY.

Nothing more or less useless than imagining that there is more to be done. Recall: no matter what is new there will always be these hands and these sandwiches. The enlightenment came and went and sliced bread was our creation— the best to be had. There can be no avenues of intellectual discord. We will always fold our food and put it into our mouths, long after our bodies forget what to do with it.
Thanked by:
bit abrasive. I suppose that's the angle you were rocking. Still, seemed as though it was more trying to be abrasive, rather than letting the nature of the poem carry that well, naturally
Thanked by:
I wrote this the other night when I couldn't sleep.
This subject has caused me to lose a lot of sleep, and it's mood is about the feelings I have on the subject.

Nothing more or less useless than imagining that there is more to be done. Recall: no matter what is new there will always be these hands and these sandwiches. The enlightenment came and went and sliced bread was our creation— the best to be had. There can be no avenues of intellectual discord. We will always fold our food and put it into our mouths, long after our bodies forget what to do with it.
Thanked by:
Then it's just right. I only really accept the pieces I have written in extreme situations, like the level of angst so great that you're nauseous, that's propa teenage poetry, yo.
Thanked by:
Do you ever right about anything EVER other than about your sexuality?
Sweetness, I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head.
Sweetness, I was only joking when I said by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
Thanked by:
Do you ever write right when you mean to right write
Thanked by:
(09-18-2008, 06:14 AM)mors ontologica Wrote: Do you ever right about anything EVER other than about your sexuality?

I'm pretty sure that this is the first time I've ever.
But that's cool.

Thanked by:
Loosing sleep about your sexuality is never good and I doubt writing poems about how odd it is will be of any help.
I don't understand how being gay is anything to loose sleep around in today's world...
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
(09-18-2008, 11:05 PM)Goemar Wrote: Loosing sleep about your sexuality is never good and I doubt writing poems about how odd it is will be of any help.
I don't understand how being gay is anything to loose sleep around in today's world...

Half of my nation doesn't think I should be allowed to marry.
A similar percent of my nation thinks gays are unnatural.
A similar percent of my nation thinks gays are evil.
A similar percent of my nation thinks gays are mentally handicapped.

I've dealt with people who've said that, and I do on a daily basis.
Members of my family think gays are wrong.
My brother told me to never tell him if I was gay.
My mom's boyfriend jokes about how I must be gay because I don't date.

My family doesn't know because not all of them accept gays.
Do you know what it's like to have a secret from almost everyone you know like this?
Listen to your family members or friends bash gays when all you can do is tell them not to do that.

Add onto that the incredibly hard time you have adjusting to something like that. It wasn't as if I always knew, I grew up knowing men and women got together. I grew up using 'gay' to describe shit situations, or lame people.

I grew up knowing gay people were weird, that they were different.

I kept lying to myself, saying that if I ever turned out to be gay, I'd be forthcoming about it. But I obviously wasn't, because I had a girlfriend. I made out with girls. I just wasn't as attracted to women as other guys.

When you lie to yourself that much, you start to believe it.

Then you realize the truth, and it's hard to swallow.

It's nearly impossible for me to find someone I'm compatible with, that's openly gay and not a complete flaming distinguished gentleman.

The only people I could date are in the same situation as me, not interested in telling people about it for fear of pointless persecution.

Goemar, surely there's something about you that isn't accepted by society.
Then imagine it on this scale. :/

Thanked by:
Why is it that Goemar always rages on about today's standards?

[Image: 2014-11-19_1823.png]
Thanked by:
Say, Oddy. Did you ever consider the fact that you might be Bi, or that you're only tricking yourself into believing you're gay? I've really never heard of a gay who didn't want to be gay without... actually becoming not gay. Doesn't that defy the point? I don't know much about this subject or homosexuals, but it just seems... kinda stupid.
Thanked by:
If this is meant to make the reader feel like he has to repent for burning gay people, then congratulations.
I always read a poem more than once, the first time not thinking about anything, just letting the words wash over me and see if it stirs anything in me.

This was hard to read not only because of the subject, but because... IT'S HARD TO READ. The line cutting makes little sense in some places, like
"I'm that guy sought after by girls because he
doesn't just want a fuck."

Line cutting either goes with the ideas(whole ideas in one line) or the words(for breathing), so I feel the cut should have been before "because" either way.

It feels like you've betrayed us by promising us rhymes in the first stanza, and then abandoning rhymes in the following stanzas. Rhyme or don't rhyme, but when you decide to do one, stick to it the whole poem.

It's hard to define what poems are good and not, and it's usually up to the reader, but for me this poem does nothing. It just says "I'm a distinguished gentleman, feel bad for me"

Sorry, bro, but I guess shit like this can't be avoided with such a subject.
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
Thanked by:
(09-19-2008, 12:15 AM)Oddball Wrote: Half of my nation doesn't think I should be allowed to marry.

That's a lot of halfs.

Anyway, being gay in today's society simply is not that hard. Seriously. I only had a slight problem with it at highschool, when some people saw me kiss another girl. They started going "ewwww she's a lesbian!" and I retorted with "Yes. And?" They stopped straight after.
I know some people you can't change their minds about it, I know that, I've been told I'm going to hell on several occasions. I laugh it off. Why should I give a shit about these people who are so frighteningly deluded?
I know EXACTLY how it feels to have to keep such a large secret. I had to live with my Grandmother for over 7 months quite recently. She always claims she's not homophobic, because one of her best friends is gay. Yet she says two women together makes her feel sick and angry inside. There was me sat there, knowing that if she found out about me, our closeness would be gone. But, you just have to deal with it, rather than sitting about and feeling sorry for yourself. That's just really not going to get you anywhere.
You say you've never written a poem about this subject before, but I know I've read several by you. And even your posts tend to revolve around you whining about your sexuality. Grow the fuck up and stop complaining. Please.
Sweetness, I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head.
Sweetness, I was only joking when I said by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
Thanked by:
(09-20-2008, 06:13 AM)mors ontologica Wrote:
(09-19-2008, 12:15 AM)Oddball Wrote: Half of my nation doesn't think I should be allowed to marry.

That's a lot of halfs.

Anyway, being gay in today's society simply is not that hard. Seriously. I only had a slight problem with it at highschool, when some people saw me kiss another girl. They started going "ewwww she's a lesbian!" and I retorted with "Yes. And?" They stopped straight after.
I know some people you can't change their minds about it, I know that, I've been told I'm going to hell on several occasions. I laugh it off. Why should I give a shit about these people who are so frighteningly deluded?
I know EXACTLY how it feels to have to keep such a large secret. I had to live with my Grandmother for over 7 months quite recently. She always claims she's not homophobic, because one of her best friends is gay. Yet she says two women together makes her feel sick and angry inside. There was me sat there, knowing that if she found out about me, our closeness would be gone. But, you just have to deal with it, rather than sitting about and feeling sorry for yourself. That's just really not going to get you anywhere.
You say you've never written a poem about this subject before, but I know I've read several by you. And even your posts tend to revolve around you whining about your sexuality. Grow the fuck up and stop complaining. Please.

Well there's obviously a difference in who we are as people, then.

I laugh it off when people tell me I'm going to hell, I tell them I know.
I love that kind of shit.

What I don't love is the kind of power that they have over my life, even though I don't share their beliefs.

It's not what they say, it's what they do.

I don't say anything about my sexuality unless it's in the love life topic.
I find that that's a good place for me to whine and be a bitch.

And I assure you that nothing I have written has even contained the word gay. This was a first, otherwise I wouldn't have had such a problem with it.
This actually has meaning.

Mors, considering I've hardly ever seen your posts, and know little about you as a person, I can't say I've really seen you in the same topics as I've been.

Also, you claim that in highschool, kids saw you and said 'ewww shes a lesbian.' And you told them to fuck off or whatever, and they stopped.

Maybe that's how it works where you live, but here it's not the same.

The people here don't say anything to your face about it.
They go off and talk about the extremely distinguished gentlemen.
They tear down posters you put up, they deface your shit.

I don't just sit around and mope for my woesome gayness, I do something about it. I was in my Gay Straight Alliance throughout highschool.

When I hear someone say that something is 'gay', I tell them it isn't. It sucks, it's not fun, but it's not gay.

I defend gays that are struck down by the society I live in.

Mors, this poem is my moment of 'Oh god my life sucks.'

Me losing sleep over it has nothing to do with me being "Very Sad".
It's me being angry, mulling it over, debating for hours with imaginary people on how being gay is natural, on how it's normal, how it's existed forever, how the bible can't stop it, how the bible can't validate itself, how marriage is a legal contract, how I shouldn't have to hide it.

It's societies fault that I even feel that I need to hide it.

In the same way it's societies fault that girls are getting more and more eating disorders, because they need to feel beautiful.

Things become social norms, ideas get televised, religions force shit into politics.

Y'know what, Mors?
You're right.

God forbid I write one poem about the woes of being gay.

I should write more about how I hate humanity.
Or how I want to murder everyone. That gets so much more done.

I appreciate that you deal with the same shit as I do, but it's obvious we live in different places with different problems.

Thanked by:
So skip over the only post with actual criticism.

EDIT:
And for the record, yeah, I think a lot of the posts I've seen from you recently are about joking about your sexual orientation.
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
Thanked by: