Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ANtY's gam sprites
edit: oh dam, I think I posted it in a wrong section o.O

Hey guys, I'm new on the forums so be polite Big Grin

Here's an animated mock-up from the game I'm currently working on

[Image: animated-mockup1.gif]

(note that I'm fairly new to pixel-art, it's my first project where I use it and try to learn it)

Here's an animation of the main hero attacking
[Image: 2FfIFVC.gif]

And a short gif from the game:
[Image: WzlhYzn.gif]
Thanked by: Phaze
Yeah, you unfortunately posted it in the wrong section, it should've been posted in "Games Development". A moderator can probably move it for you at some point so don't worry about it now, just for future reference.

Other than that welcome to the forums and good luck with the game! Smile
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: Novally, ~Axis~
This is quite an interesting style... I like it.
Thanked by:
In the attacking animation, the character's head doesn't move at all. It doesn't seem natural. Did you do this on purpose?
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by:
Thanks for the reponse guys Smile

@ShadeDBZ: thanks

@Crimson Wolf: thanks

@BlueBlur97: Hmm, I did it on purpose of laziness lol Big Grin

I'm working on a second world atm:

[Image: 5Qm2EYN.jpg]

any feedback would be awesome, I'm certainly not done with it yet. And I need ideas for more background elements (18th century village)
Thanked by:
the clouds look like spattered blobs and the mist and light... ugh *shudders* transparency.
the character also has a lot of jaggies, proportion issues and animation issues.

I think you should start fixing up the character before continuing with the environment hes in,
I like the style your going for but the mistakes in colour, line art, shading are quite severe in a general sense
the colours have little harmony and varying contrasts, the hair is too dark, the skinis too grey, the jacket has contrast issues.
the lines are hitting double thicks in areas and not in others and the form is clunky and messy.
Thanked by: alexmach1, ~Axis~
Hey, you hit a lot of valid points there, could you give me a more solid advice about colors? I'd love to fix them, but I dunno how.

in the meantime I'm working on a second enemy's idle animation, very wip:

[Image: 4iiY2t4.gif]
Thanked by:
first establish your ambient colours / lightest and darkest colours (dark usually leaning towards blue / purple, light usually leaning towards yellow) depending on your chosen style shift those colours hues and saturations (I once had the problem of using too similar colours in terms of lighting, it ended up all my sprites being sunny even when it didn't suit them)
once you've done that pick some midtones and shades transitioning into your lightest and darkest colours,
in a well lit environment your transitional colours should never fully reach the darkest colour, and visa versa with poorly lit environment (this is a key thing to keep in mind, in your case you dont want your transitional colours to reach the lightest colour)
something I've noticed recently in picking colours is you want them to transition via a strong curve, (steep coming out of the dark tone and evening on the mid-tone and steep going into the light tone, NOTE: I'm using the wording "tone" here because it should be like this for your transitional tones, independent of how close they are to your ambient colours.)

So long as you don't go overboard with colours your main concern can be the form of the sprites, and you can alter the colours as needed while you go along (providing your using a program that allows you to change a palette)
Thanked by:
Sounds pretty solid, but then it also sounds like a nice amount of work. I think I'll stick to what I have atm and try your approach in the next project. (this ain't that big)

Will you forgive me? Sad

(I really appreciate your advice and will keep it in mind for the next try)

edit: progress on the animation:

[Image: vsr4GAE.gif]
Thanked by:
I like how you don't flip sprites. (If you do, you still re-shade them). These look nice, but the light source is facing the back, while the sun is obviously pointed to the front.
Please watch me on Deviant Art!

~Novs
Thanked by:
The ears keep changing size, as well as the head.
[Image: QUmE6.gif][Image: 9fryz.gif]
[Image: qjGOacY.png] [Image: 3CczX.gif]
[Image: l3q8a.png]
Thanked by: Novally
@Novally: yeah, but the sun is moving while you play so I can't really shade them according to it.

@Xeroph: yea... that's why I need more practice with animation

new character:

[Image: p9p8Fma.jpg]

[Image: aq5vVnE.png]

now I have to animate him, also found a few mistakes and now I'm going to fix them

edit: fixed

[Image: VpG8JQW.png]
Thanked by:
there are quite a fex anatomy problems here, for instance just look at the shape of the head, how the mouth is etc

[Image: Blacksad3.jpg]
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by: recme, Bombshell93
Do you think these anatomy errors are a big problems? Because I'm not really sure, the cat you posted isn't anatomically correct with real cats too I think

[Image: tumblr_inline_mi4mi3Di401qz4rgp.gif]
Thanked by:
lexous shows a good mix though, but the one you have is neither human nor cat in anatomy.
Thanked by: