Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Uran from Tetsuwan Atom series
Wink 
I'm willing to make Uran for the mugen engine, so I've did these sprites with my digital pen:

Uran from Tetsuwan Atom 1980 series:
[Image: i9ByQgm.png]

[Image: vd9dh1F.gif]

I'm aware of the poor shadding, but it's still better than sprites from doujin games like Requiem.

And I've noticed the issue with her shoulder as well, I'll fix it with time.

Turning sprites:
[Image: 259Sk7I.png]

Walking sprites:

[Image: 6r9ONef.png]

[Image: eQugR1Z.gif]

Uran from Tetsuwan Atom 2003 series:

Stand (I'm aware about the issue of her legs):
[Image: h0PME7A.png]

[Image: tJ0qYxp.gif]

Walk:

[Image: o3foerm.png]

Walk back:

[Image: lJVGKXK.png]
Thanked by:
There are a lot of jaggies in the sprite, a side effect of making them with a digital pen, maybe. Rework them to make the lines neater. Also, the shading seems to be really subpar/non existent, so you may want to take some more time on it.

Can you provide us the animated gifs of those animations? It's hard to give CC to still frames instead of animations.

Finally, she seems to be totally out of proportion compared to most fighting characters. Like, a lot. She is supposed to be a robot child, so her size must reflect that of one. I suggest using Marvel vs Capcom's Roll as size reference.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Novally

I'm not that used to work with shadding and my understanding of the tips is pretty limited, but anyway, she is a hi-res character.

So, check out the size comparison:

[Image: HMYVhFJ.png]

Note that she is the smallest of them^^
Thanked by:
Makes sense, she still sticks out like a so thumb because of quality.

For animating big sprites, I suggest making simple animated sketches with blots of color representing the shapes, and making ALL the animations this way. After you're done, you can work on the outlining/shading. I believe that's how fighting game spriters work with their graphics.
Thanked by:
(02-04-2013, 04:25 AM)Gorsalad Wrote: Makes sense, she still sticks out like a so thumb because of quality.

For animating big sprites, I suggest making simple animated sketches with blots of color representing the shapes, and making ALL the animations this way. After you're done, you can work on the outlining/shading. I believe that's how fighting game spriters work with their graphics.

I'm capturing anime footage, so she is just like she appears in the show.
It's my first try at making sprites and I'll try something simple, before trying something so advanced.

But, if somebody wish to have a team work, then it would help a lot.

Though, is difficult to find somebody who is willing to fix issues and re-work in the shadding.

A little demonstration:
Thanked by:
It's because you're possibly biting more than you can chew

Your first sprite work being a HD fighting character is quite a task and if I were you, I'd do something simpler, to learn animating by myself and not needing to rely much on anime. After all, as accurate the anime might be, it still won't capture the fighting feeling (because different places mean differ context, and unless she is fighting in the anime, it will seem dubious in the sprites). my two cents, though.
Thanked by:
(02-04-2013, 04:36 AM)Gorsalad Wrote: It's because you're possibly biting more than you can chew

Your first sprite work being a HD fighting character is quite a task and if I were you, I'd do something simpler, to learn animating by myself and not needing to rely much on anime. After all, as accurate the anime might be, it still won't capture the fighting feeling (because different places mean differ context, and unless she is fighting in the anime, it will seem dubious in the sprites). my two cents, though.

In fact there is footage of her punching and kicking in the anime and I can do several edits to make the poses more convincing.

[Image: CUtsBxh.png]

I can turn this one into a punch.

And I can make a line art from these:

Thanked by:
Ok, your call

Also oh shit, is that Kasumin in the sprite chart
Thanked by:
(02-04-2013, 05:11 AM)Gorsalad Wrote: Ok, your call

Also oh shit, is that Kasumin in the sprite chart

Actually, Dakken used that method for making his sprites of Magical Chaser.
I noticed it when I was watching Fushigi Mahou Fan Fan Pharmacy which Potpourri came from.

I'll work more on these with time:
[Image: TS0md4w.png]

I need to study the anime footages carefully before making new lineart.
Thanked by:
Isn't this girl from Astro Boy? Meh. Yeah I guess that's the Japanese name for it you used.

The lines are really messy. And the art looks odd. Look at those eyes. I know animation back then (I'm 18 so 1980 seems like forever ago) was really bad compared to now so either you traced the cheap low quality anime from the 1980s or just drew the eyes pretty poorly (I know you traced these but even if it's traced corrections can still be made).

Look at your sprite in comparison to those others. Their lines are neat and clean. I can understand if you want a thick outline, but it's still unclean and funny to look at.

Last, shes out of proportion. Anatomy is crucial with sprites like these. Her legs are way too long for her body. Fix those.

Once all of these mistakes are fixed you should be fine for now.

(02-04-2013, 04:12 AM)Gorsalad Wrote: There are a lot of jaggies in the sprite, a side effect of making them with a digital pen, maybe. Rework them to make the lines neater. Also, the shading seems to be really subpar/non existent, so you may want to take some more time on it.
Finally, she seems to be totally out of proportion compared to most fighting characters. Like, a lot. She is supposed to be a robot child, so her size must reflect that of one. I suggest using Marvel vs Capcom's Roll as size reference.

I suggest using her as an art reference too. Even though Roll's sprite is not even completed it's still a pretty decent sprite and still a great example!
Please watch me on Deviant Art!

~Novs
Thanked by:
As I said before, I'm not willing to make an low res character, so Roll is useless as reference.
Specially considering her weird stand and weird walking frames.

I'm using the original style from the anime and I don't want to waste my time making unnecessary corrections.

And I'll fix the issues with outline with time, I just need to get more experience.
Thanked by:
I think your problem here is your using your pen wrong, for spriting at least,
what you typically want to do for the best quality sprites with the simplest workflow (for most people anyway)
Sketch your character, scale the sketch down to the sprite size you want,
pixel art over it (on another layer of course)
simply drawing will come out bad without the utmost of care and it usually ends up being more trouble than its worth,
by only doing sketches your not wasting time on line art that wont make it into the final image, by pixel arting over the sketch your getting the advantage of the drawing (a faster made and cleaner looking character) and the advantages of pixel art (accurate and crisp art pixel for pixel)
I'd do a quick example but my graphics tablets been broke for a short while now Sad
Thanked by:

With more experience I'll fix the issues with the outlines, I've got a major improviment from previous tries.

I just need to keep practicing, but I'll keep using the original style.
Again, do not suggest a character like Roll as refference.
Thanked by:
She's not that low res, she's just incomplete...
[Image: roll%20gif.gif]

I didn't even ask to make a low res character. Just to fix the one you have already using a decent sprite as an example for anatomy purpose and pixel art purpose.

This shows art/animation isn't something that should really not be traced, and if it is traced much improvement should be added to it.
Resolution has little to do with a big sprite by the way.

Which picture has higher resolution?

But here is some high res for you, do you think you can pull this off?

Also Bouncing off of what Bombshell93 said, you do the pixel art over your sketch, or turn your sketch into the pixel art:
(the lines are messy, but easy to clean)
Please watch me on Deviant Art!

~Novs
Thanked by: Bombshell93, Vipershark
roll is actually a fairly good reference, similar style, similar clothing, only thing that really stands out as different is hair and to a degree head size.
just did some digging, marvel vs capcom roll sprites,
http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Class...csheet.gif (not img tagging it, its a fairly giant sheet)
its of a nice size and a simple style you could easily pull off via spriting over your drawing.

EDIT: poo! Novally beat me to it!
Thanked by: Novally