Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Novally's Sprite Thread (C+C needed!)*
Newly added! Feb 13th, 2013

[Image: LPfY6Mn.png]

The right leg is bothering me like crazy!

[Image: mario_scratch_sprite_by_novally-d5usb68.png]

SLIGHT update.

[Image: 2ff8a4c027b7228218e5f22482af721f-d5usb68.png]

Going to work off Virtuaboy123's edit. I've edited his edit. Fixing some minor things I thought would bring out more of the sprite.
I'll be working on a small sheet of this now. Will try to make a 4 frame running animation.

Update:

[Image: hdnvhJs.png]

Mario, I made this from that edit of Mario360's sprite. I worked on it so much that there is barely a resemblance.

[Image: mario_scratch_sprite_by_novally-d5usb68.png]

I don't intend on making a sheet of this. If I do it will be pretty small.

Boo Scratch Sprites!

Random Sprites of Me.

Mage Sprite Commission

Pets from various anime:

Super Mario World Items:
2013 is going to be the year I improve my sprite work and I will start here.

I made these sprites from scratch.
Please watch me on Deviant Art!

~Novs
Thanked by:
It's hard to see the letter P on the balloon sprite because the colors are both bright and seem to blend. Try adding more contrast between the colors. Same with the yellow mushroom.

The balloon also has some jaggies on the bottom edges.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by: Novally, Phaze
I love criticism because what I don't see, another does see. I never noticed the jagged edges on the balloon until now. The yellow mushroom was a hard one to pick colors for. I was trying to go for gold, but failed.

~Novs
Thanked by: ~Axis~
You use a bunch of colours that could easily be merged into a single shade. The dark yellow dots inside the P stick out, since both of the two colours you tried to smooth with them are brighter.
Using darker spots in at the borders of your sprites will most likely stick out on most backgrounds - such styles only work when you know what backgrounds will be used (and thus, using transparent PNGs isn't the best idea, you should use a fixed colour instead).
Thanked by:
Examples of the colors you're talking about?

~Novs
Thanked by:
For example
[Image: RVKYOcQ.gif]
32 -> 23
Thanked by: Novally, ~Axis~, Garamonde
(01-29-2013, 04:37 AM)Previous Wrote: For example
[Image: RVKYOcQ.gif]
32 -> 23

I see exactly what you did there. To be honest, the mushrooms look fine to me in both versions. The bottom sprites look better with the reduced pallet. Even the pipe is looking better. I need to limit my color options next time. You removed 9 colors from the original. I took note of this. Thank you.

~Novs
Thanked by:
The pipe just needs some more shine:
[Image: GY6NGey.png]
Thanked by: Phaze
Wow. I thought that pipe couldn't be repaired. Back to the background thing, I usually use White, Magenta, or Bright Green.

Any comment's on Puu (the blue fuzzball)

~Novs
Thanked by:
I'm not really sure since I'm using my phone (it has a some what reduced display), but it looks like Puu is pillow shaded on it's right ear and stomach. Having a diagonal light source would help some.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by:
Oh alright, doesn't seem pillow shaded. It's barely shaded, so I guess it does classify as pillow shaded.

~Novs
Thanked by:
It's not exactly pillow-shaded, but the colors you shaded with seem to band around the entire
inside the sprite, causing the sprite to look flat. Try only adding shade in areas that need it, instead
of everywhere there is a free space along the outlines.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: ~Axis~
They're pretty good, but the eyes of the mushrooms look a little off to me. The white pixel in the center of the eyes blend with the lower half of the mushrooms making it seem like the eyes were separated.
Thanked by:
(01-29-2013, 08:56 AM)Sevenstitch Wrote: It's not exactly pillow-shaded, but the colors you shaded with seem to band around the entire
inside the sprite, causing the sprite to look flat. Try only adding shade in areas that need it, instead
of everywhere there is a free space along the outlines.

Thank you. I'm working on a sprite right now to test out what I learned from this thread.

(01-29-2013, 10:22 AM)EpicEbilninja Wrote: They're pretty good, but the eyes of the mushrooms look a little off to me. The white pixel in the center of the eyes blend with the lower half of the mushrooms making it seem like the eyes were separated.

Uhh, I'm assuming you're talking about the crease in between the eyes. There is no white pixel i n the center. Unless you're mentioning the shine of the mushroom's forehead. The shine isn't near the eyes. I need you to provide a specific example if you can.

~Novs
Thanked by:
NOVALLY, YOU OLD GOAT!
Remember the 3 rules of life:
1:Never give up!
2:Face challenges with a smile!
3:Chocolate does not make a good sex partner.

Also, be a dear and visit your uncle Ronnie sometime eh?
http://rocknrumble.deviantart.com/

I'm so lonely ;~;
Thanked by: