Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Wario and Waluigi RPG sprites
I have been wanting to make a mario and luigi rpg fangame, "wario and waluigi rpg", but I have been having a little trouble getting started making the sprites for it. I'm currently still a bit of a beginner in spriting, but this is what I have done so far Smile

current sprites:
Thanked by:
Wario-"Waluigi I thinks the Shrooms just kicked in."
Waluigi-"Waaa"
The eyes seem kinda dialated. But it looks good.
I'd say make Wario appear more cross eyed and his face a little wider.
[Image: mugen.gif][Image: 41583772.gif]

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by: Bombshell93, Mr. Jam, Baegal
thanks, I'll try that tomorrow Smile
Thanked by:
The stomach on Waluigi looks a bit pillow shaded, I'd try moving the light spot about two pixel higher.
Please watch me on Deviant Art!

~Novs
Thanked by: Mr. Jam
You also seem to have some jaggies on both of Wario's lower arms and Waluigi's left arm.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Another note is the outline is supposed to be like M&L: SS (right?) I am not a huge fan of the style because the outline provides a false sense of anti-aliasing to the eye. I suggest using the inner outline to make the sprites look smoother. Also their hat's brim should be worked on. Walugi's legs looks a little too straight (which is what made M&L: SS's sprites look funny from the frontal view)

I love the sprites though. Wario looks nearly perfect, but his eyes are too big/circular.

~Novs
You need more contrast - the darker shades should be darker. You should be able to get rid of one shade per colour for most of them, too.
Wario needs to be fatter - mostly wider. Waluigi on the other hand isn't skinny enough - he's usually really thin with spider-like arms and legs with sharp angled joints, right?
thanks guys ,I'll try to improve them a bit today Big Grin
currently trying to work on making wario fatter...

@Novally: It's supposed to be M&L partners in time style, there is a bit of a difference between the sprites(plus somebody already did a wario and waluigi in superstar saga XD)
Thanked by:
Whenenever I look at these...I don't see Wario and Waluigi. You need to work on structuring them more.

[Image: Wario-wario-and-waluigi-23803078-300-294.jpg]
Wario:
-Needs to be wider and needs to be more rounded out on the sides to emphasize on his fat belly
-The eyes! The biggest things for Wario sprites is the eyes! You gotta make them a certain way; Wario has a unique shape to them that is hard to explain
-thicker eyebrows
-Hat needs to "poof" out from the sides as shown in this ref(you can use the Wario LandUnsurehake it artwork for refs as well)
-Arms need more muscularity
-Moustache needs to be redefined and consist of AA
-Face should have more structure to it. Wario is quite a handsome man.
-Yellow should be more golden yellow, the color right now is too dull
-Overalls should be a different hue of purple

I would crit Waluigi, but I just realized I need to head off to campus dgdmdff
[Image: 9fryz.gif] [Image: QUmE6.gif]
[Image: XwNYE.gif]
[Image: qjGOacY.png]

Click the link below to view the New Super Mario Kart Project! [Seizure Warning]

Thanked by: Mr. Jam, Garamonde, ~Axis~, Virt
I guess with the way I did it, I could have just stuck anybody into purple/yellow plumbers outfit and call them Wario and Waluigi, and thanks to you guys I'm already starting to see where I went so wrong!

I really am thankfull for all the criticism I received, I never did receive anything like this on any other forum or website I tried in the past. By the time I'm through with working on the sprites, this will no longer be two people in multi-colored overalls, it's going to actually be Wario and Waluigi Big Grin
Thanked by: ~Axis~, BullockDS, Star
Starpower (and Ridge Troopa) are the M&L masters so listen to their advice especially carefully. Wink
not that everyone else is not giving good critique but just saying he knows better than anyone what he is talking about concerning the style and is great with designs. Big Grin
also Novally, the outlines have to use the grey AA on the outsides or it will not be in style.
imo it was a pretty clever way to smoothen the sprites especially considering that the GBA couldn't use very many colors to smoothen them and couldn't fit as much detail.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Novally, Mr. Jam, Star
Yes, those two really are talented with the M&L RPG sprites Big Grin

okay, I didn't have a whole lot of time to work on it today, but I did get a little bit done with the head XD

I'm still working with the palletes and there are still some things I really have to fix, but I don't think it's too bad at the moment Big Grin [Image: warioface.png]
Thanked by:
The new head looks better, but that chin...

~Novs
Thanked by:
yes, it will be fixed soon...
EDIT:made his chin a pixel wider and his hair a bit lighter(still trying to fix a few things though...)
[Image: warioface_ex2.png]

It's getting there...
[Image: warioex.png]
I think I'm starting to lose the artstyle a bit, background color isn't the best choice, trying to work out proportion, the feet need work, not 100% happy with the pallette, shading and many other things also need a little more work...

EDIT: [Image: wariosemifinal.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, Phaze, Virt
That looks MUCH better! Not to be a nag but shrink Wario about one pixel and remove the muscle detail, it's not needed. His hat looks more like a wrecking crew helmet. It's not shaded like a hat. Look at Mario's. Also people don't realize Wario has short sleeves. Not long sleeves. In some Nintendo games (old ones) and fan art his art, he is seen with long sleeves but it's actually short:

New:
[Image: 116024-super-mario-wario.jpg]

Old:
[Image: Wariosdf.PNG]

The exception is games like Mario golf, kart, and his Super Smash Bros. Melee trophy. This is just a suggestion though. It honestly doesn't matter haha.

~Novs