Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A new generation of pokémon
Big Grin 
hi i am making a Pokemon game and i am making my own generation of Pokemon so i am going to post them here.
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ONLY!

Region pic coming up when i have all the areas sorted.

places

PokéMon put on hold for now.
Thanked by:
(01-06-2013, 08:58 AM)Bombshell93 Wrote: then surely you could have waited a few moments to upload and post them rather than reserving a topic, just a note for the future Wink
i also need to animate them
Thanked by:
I've removed my posts now that there is something in the first post (to avoid irrelevant padding)
to comment on the sprite, the blink line is bigger than the eye, the colours need a bit more contrast and the eye itself doesn't read very well.
the selout is unnecessary and its hard to tell if the pokemon is meant to be a caterpillar or a tiny onyx.
The design from what can be seen is also fairly boring and the overlapping of lines per segment makes it look like an early sketch (in which case its unwise to animate so early on)
Thanked by:
(01-06-2013, 09:13 AM)Bombshell93 Wrote: I've removed my posts now that there is something in the first post (to avoid irrelevant padding)
to comment on the sprite, the blink line is bigger than the eye, the colours need a bit more contrast and the eye itself doesn't read very well.
the selout is unnecessary and its hard to tell if the pokemon is meant to be a caterpillar or a tiny onyx.
The design from what can be seen is also fairly boring and the overlapping of lines per segment makes it look like an early sketch (in which case its unwise to animate so early on)

it will be eaasier to make another one bcos i dont like it at all
Thanked by:
1 and 2 are very boring and unreadable, it looks like a leaf and flaming marble,
number 2 is an edit, I advise you use customs, we can't properly judge edits, it becomes difficult differentiating your work fromt he existing work.

I think your problem is barrelling in head first without any attempt to design,
luckily pokemon designs tend towards cute simple characteristics,
That said pick an animal, draw it fairly chubby and rounded, add a feature of its type and pick its colours accordingly.
Charmander - lizard, fire. (so naturally he looks like a small orange / red dinosaur)
Squirtle - turtle, water (easily enough, a smooth round shell and circle face)
bulbasaur - toad, GRASS (and again simple, a green pudgey frog with a flower on its back to make it stand out)

simple Smile
Thanked by:
I agree with bombshell (other than what he said about bulbasaur being a fire toad.)

You also used shellder's shell for the water type. Maybe try drawing the design out on paper first then sprite the ideal design you came up with.
[Image: mugen.gif][Image: 41583772.gif]

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by: DioShiba
whoops how derpy of me
EDIT: a fire breathing frog would be epic though
Thanked by:
Also if you wanted to consider the kind of themes that the actual games use, these are observations people have made about the starters over the generations of pokemon:

The Grass type has always seemed to be some kind of reptile.
The Fire type has been animals from the Chinese Zodiac
The Water type has been aquatic animals (easy).

However I feel like making a theme is the least of your worries. Practice your sprites for a while.

... for some reason I like the fact that they blink, though. xD
Thanked by: DioShiba
(01-06-2013, 10:20 AM)Bombshell93 Wrote: 1 and 2 are very boring and unreadable, it looks like a leaf and flaming marble,
number 2 is an edit, I advise you use customs, we can't properly judge edits, it becomes difficult differentiating your work fromt he existing work.

I think your problem is barrelling in head first without any attempt to design,
luckily pokemon designs tend towards cute simple characteristics,
That said pick an animal, draw it fairly chubby and rounded, add a feature of its type and pick its colours accordingly.
Charmander - lizard, fire. (so naturally he looks like a small orange / red dinosaur)
Squirtle - turtle, water (easily enough, a smooth round shell and circle face)
bulbasaur - toad, GRASS (and again simple, a green pudgey frog with a flower on its back to make it stand out)

simple Smile
what should i do to the sprites now then
Thanked by:
I would go with ToyGuycott's advice with this one if I were you OP.

Although on the other hand, maybe try improving your creativity a bit before you tackle trying to make a pokemon. My suggestion would be to do anything that falls under art (Be it spriting, drawing, or painting, etc.) and sketch out things that you see in you're everyday life, and if you feel like you are stuck on something look up things on the internet and find a tutorial on what you are doing.

Once you feel that you are a level of creativity that you like, then perhaps you might want to try making a pokemon again. But to be roughly honest with you I think that you need to work on it for awhile.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: missingno.
(01-06-2013, 11:09 AM)missingno. Wrote: what should i do to the sprites now then
you should start over with an idea of what you want the sprite to be, I'd say just pick an animal and a type and sprite how you think the animal should look if it were that type.
pick something like a rabbit, a dog, a cat, a tiger cub, etc.
stick with 1 sprite at a time, that way you only have to correct mistakes once rather than on all 3 starters.
Thanked by: missingno.
(01-06-2013, 11:14 AM)Mr. Popo Wrote: I would go with ToyGuycott's advice with this one if I were you OP.

Although on the other hand, maybe try improving your creativity a bit before you tackle trying to make a pokemon. My suggestion would be to do anything that falls under art (Be it spriting, drawing, or painting, etc.) and sketch out things that you see in you're everyday life, and if you feel like you are stuck on something look up things on the internet and find a tutorial on what you are doing.

Once you feel that you are a level of creativity that you like, then perhaps you might want to try making a pokemon again. But to be roughly honest with you I think that you need to work on it for awhile.

you have just gave me the best idea ever, im going to draw them. use a scanner and remove backgrounds using paint.net

(01-06-2013, 10:46 AM)Bombshell93 Wrote: whoops how derpy of me
EDIT: a fire breathing frog would be epic though

oooh, idea ironic stuff like,
a flaming fish, a grass type bird and other stuff like that.
Thanked by:
(01-06-2013, 10:33 AM)Virtuaboy123 Wrote: I agree with bombshell (other than what he said about bulbasaur being a fire toad.)

You also used shellder's shell for the water type. Maybe try drawing the design out on paper first then sprite the ideal design you came up with.

um, uno problemo
i cant sprite Defeated
Thanked by:
(01-18-2013, 03:14 PM)missingno. Wrote:
(01-06-2013, 10:33 AM)Virtuaboy123 Wrote: I agree with bombshell (other than what he said about bulbasaur being a fire toad.)

um, uno problemo
i cant sprite Defeated
So what are these then?
[Image: QLjcG.gif][Image: xJjI6.png][Image: mwDWO.gif]
As you can see, you can sprite. The question is, do you want to improve? If so, keep trying at it, take the critique to heart, and learn about what you as an artist can do to improve your spriting abilities. If you don't want to improve, I don't know what to tell you friend.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: Phaze, Kami
(01-18-2013, 03:29 PM)ShadeDBZ Wrote:
(01-18-2013, 03:14 PM)missingno. Wrote:

um, uno problemo
i cant sprite Defeated
So what are these then?
[Image: QLjcG.gif][Image: xJjI6.png][Image: mwDWO.gif]
As you can see, you can sprite. The question is, do you want to improve? If so, keep trying at it, take the critique to heart, and learn about what you as an artist can do to improve your spriting abilities. If you don't want to improve, I don't know what to tell you friend.
they are not sprites they are splices
and i have been told that i shouldnt splice Sad
Thanked by: