Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Marine The Raccoon sprites Sonic robo blast 2 style.
Wink 
Hello spriters! I'm marine the raccoon Aka (Theqmayn,Marine Rings)

Remember me? I'll hope you do. Because I'm that user that was busy ripping AODD(Army of darkness defense) sprites.

About an half year ago. I dicided to make my custom marine the raccoon sprites. I made these:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214...sever.png/

You said you didn't like them. I realized they are very ugly too.

So I decided to take more time and effort into it! And more animations. (Although these are not finished yet.) And it's not exactly aligned yet. Becuase the sprites have different sizes.

Here's my new one! (Sonic robo blast 2 style) : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515...nspri.png/

I'll hope ya like it Smile
''ERROR!!! NO SIGNATURE AVAILABLE!!!''
Thanked by:
use img tags
[Image: firstspritesever.png]
[Image: newmarinetheraccoonspri.png]

crit,
pillow shading, poor contrast, too many colours, broken perspective,
I advise you read the stickied spriters dictionary thread, I'd say your biggest issue at the moment is colour selection.
fix that up and get off the pillow shading and the sprite will start to take shape.
Thanked by:
you also seem to use ms paint tools, don't do that as they are uneven and ugly (unless you're using them to sketch, which isnt the case here).

Also colors should be custom, instead of the default xp paint palette with slight changes.

It's not a rip if you made it entirely from the ground up; unless you extracted them from some weird game with bad graphics. if it's the latter, then say where did you get these from, as to avoid sprite theft.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
(12-27-2012, 06:42 AM)Tae Kwon Doug Wrote: you also seem to use ms paint tools, don't do that as they are uneven and ugly (unless you're using them to sketch, which isnt the case here).

Also colors should be custom, instead of the default xp paint palette with slight changes.

It's not a rip if you made it entirely from the ground up; unless you extracted them from some weird game with bad graphics. if it's the latter, then say where did you get these from, as to avoid sprite theft.

I'm using paint.dot net thank you. (MSpaint is depricated. In my opinion.)

But this is my second sprite practise.... What would you expect?
Thanked by:
ms paint or not, it still reeks of premade tools and default colors with no further thought whatsoever.

I don't expect the greatest job ever from you; you're a beginner and you know it. But I also don't like the way you use it to justify your job, it's like saying 'yeah I'm bad,so what?'. that not only is rude with the people who gave you criticism, it als oshows you really don't care about improving at all (I hope I'm wrong here, because of obvious reasons).

MS Paint is not 'depricated' or whatever how you spell it if people knows how yo use it, a big part of tSR uses it and churns out quality pixelart. An artist shall never blame the tools he uses.

Whichever program you use, my criticism, as well as Bombshell's, are valid and you should read them carefully in order to improve.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Exactly what Doug said. Don't use being new as an excuse for being bad; use being new as a method of forcing yourself to improve.

Some important things to know about making things look visually pleasing and correct. First, shade in the direction the light is coming from. For these sprites a light coming from directly overhead would suffice nicely; right now I can't tell where it's coming from because what little shading there is wraps itself around the outline in an entirely unconvincing and unappealing manner. The shades are also both incredibly bright and don't change anything but luminosity, which is a big no-no. As a rule, highlight colours tend towards yellow and shadow colours tend towards blue/grey.

Your outlines also look like wooden dolls with their posture. Things don't stand with their arms spread slightly apart and their feet touching facing away from each other. Try standing like that in real life and feel how comfortable it is. Try drawing something that fits your character's mood; maybe relaxed, maybe bouncy, I don't know.
Thanked by:
I'm not sure if that's even using the SRB2 Pallete.
Thanked by:
also, please make the background a less blinding color
it makes the sprites themselves hard to see

a nice, dull gray-blue should work well
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde
(12-27-2012, 11:12 AM)Gorsalad Wrote: ms paint or not, it still reeks of premade tools and default colors with no further thought whatsoever.

I don't expect the greatest job ever from you; you're a beginner and you know it. But I also don't like the way you use it to justify your job, it's like saying 'yeah I'm bad,so what?'. that not only is rude with the people who gave you criticism, it als oshows you really don't care about improving at all (I hope I'm wrong here, because of obvious reasons).

MS Paint is not 'depricated' or whatever how you spell it if people knows how yo use it, a big part of tSR uses it and churns out quality pixelart. An artist shall never blame the tools he uses.

Whichever program you use, my criticism, as well as Bombshell's, are valid and you should read them carefully in order to improve.

Of course I care about improving.

Believe it or not. I spend 2 days making those sprites (Not 2 whole days but anyway)

And I'm not trying to be rude to people. In fact. I'm trying to be nice against them. But I can't take critism in such a good way. That's why I'm maybe rude sometimes.

And I was just saying. I didn't really ment about the mspaint thing. Of course I know people still use it. And I don't judge other people on which program they use.

But for me. MSpaint just doesn't work.

And about the default colors? That's a way too big step for an noob like me.
For now. I can sprite better doing it with much colors. Shadows and shaders are yet too difficult for me.

And why am I saying I'm bad? Becuase I am. And all I want. Is that one day. I will make some great sprites. Get positieve feedback from it, people ask if they can use it in their games, etc.

I just want you guys to see these sprite as a practise to get better in the future. I sure could use some tips. But I did do alot of effort for this.

(12-28-2012, 04:53 PM)Vipershark Wrote: also, please make the background a less blinding color
it makes the sprites themselves hard to see

a nice, dull gray-blue should work well

I'm using a light blue background becuase the color becomes transparent in the Doom-engine.

(12-27-2012, 06:08 PM)Trollerskates Wrote: I'm not sure if that's even using the SRB2 Pallete.

No it's indeed not using the SRB2 pallete.

Becuase palletes are still a little bit of a big challenge for me. I need to improve other things first.
Thanked by:
Well in order to get better you need to take people's advice to heart and remember that no one is attacking you or your sprites. They are trying to be friendly so just read over what they have to say and try to work on those things.

Colors is a difficult thing to grasp and it's something you'll have to work on. Being able to choose colors is as important in spriting as anything so we'll help you out with that, if you let us. So just listen to these guys since they are all quite experienced.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Bombshell93
While everyone probably has said what needed to be said, I kind of have to add that even if you don't like taking criticism and everything it's not always a bad idea to use the advice to help improve your sprite even if you feel that it's good or if you dislike the criticism.

Sure, it can be a hard thing to deal with criticism, I don't blame you for that OP because I've been in that position before (and sometimes I acted out in the wrong way, just for the sake of admitting something) so I kind of commend you for trying to be nice to everyone about it. But sometimes you can take in people's advice or criticism and tinker with you're sprites for the hell of it. Who knows, it might look better in the long run!

All I'm saying is, stay open-minded and try to look at criticism as something to use to make the process of spriting, drawing, painting, or whatever you are doing in the art field more fun rather than looking at it as a chore. It's kind of important to look at anything creative in a more positive way so it doesn't feel like you are being forced to do it for your life. After all no one is pointing a gun at your head telling you "Hey you better make it like this or I will shoot you".
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: Garamonde