Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Smooth as honey
So today I say that Hornet Man (from Megaman 9) was originally Honey Woman, and I gotta say, she had a pretty cute design. So now I want to sprite her, the issue being that I suck at Megaman style.

[Image: 2ugny2s.jpg]
I'm not to happy with the legs among other things. I want to keep her leaning forward a bit, but I feel like she's a bit off balance.

Also, I'm curious, if I were to get it in style and looking good, and make a full sheet, would I be able to submit it since it is technically based on official material?

UPDATE
Newest version:
[Image: 2i20xv7.jpg]
the white of her wing and shoulder and ear make it look like she has something weird on her shoulder isntead Sad
Maybe you should make them yellow too it would not be like in the picture but it would maybe be better for the sprite?
Thanked by:
Now I see why they change her gender, her face is hard to read.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; ....I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein
Thanked by:
Maybe if he played around with the head (the attenae should be spread a bit further and did away wih the eyes/shrink them?) and wings, she wouldn't look as hard to read. Maybe the feet could use a little standardizing too, as right now it looks like of a weird mix of Battle & Fighters and the original 8-bit style. I'll whip up a quick edit to see what I mean if I can.
Thanked by:
Alright, tried making a few edits.
[Image: 2ugh312.jpg]
THe difference between the two is the shoulder color (although it shouldn't an issue since I plan on having the wings constantly moving in the animation, so they won't be directly on the shoulders as seen). I also made the "eyes" on her helmet a brown color so it blends a bit better with the helmet instead of sticking out like it did before. As for the feet, I don't know what you are talking about, thats what their feet look like in Megaman 9.

EDIT- It's become clear to me that he design really doesn't work well with the style, although that isn't why they changed her into Hornet Man. It was because they felt that Splash Woman was more than enough.
Thanked by: Gwen
Here's the edit, sorry I took so long:

[Image: honeyedit.png]

Of course, this edit is just throwing my two cents in. Since her "skirt" was kind of large, I took a theory that since Honey was in development, she was originally going to be an elegant young lady personality-wise and applied it, but of course it was too big, so this needs to be addressed here.

I can understand now why the change, it can be a pain!
Thanked by: Chaoxys
i don't think megaman sprites have this much of antialiasing though, try increasing readability and lowering details.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Got me there, it's been years since I sprited 8-bit.

This guy only has antialiasing because of his size and such, but I'm not sure about the others.. I just felt that the skirt area should have antialianising being round and all, but it's up to the OP and such.
Thanked by:
Made some updates
[Image: 2i20xv7.jpg]

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that MM9 sprites do seem to use AA, but only selectively, so I only added it where I thought it would really be needed.

EDIT- I had removed the lighter orange bits from around the diamond on her forehead, but I may put them back because it looks odd without them.
Thanked by: Gwen, Gaia, Garamonde
Something about the sprite doesn't seem NES Mega Man enough to me. I can't put my finger on it though. Maybe it's just me.
Also I think that the (our) left arm should be placed on her hip to make a more interesting pose since it looks pretty boring right now.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Gaia
Still cleaning things up but would this be better? I tried having her hand on her hips but yellow hands on yellow dress looked awkward.
[Image: znuaub.jpg]

This pose is based a bit more on her official art.
Thanked by: Garamonde
That looks better yes. This also solves the issue with her wing not showing enough.
I can't seem to find any other issues right now so good job.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Chaoxys
Looking good so far, Chaoxys. I'd love to see this sheeted.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by: Chaoxys, Garamonde, Marth
Still curious if I'd be allowed to submit it. The rules say "They are based on a character who appeared in official game related media." and her design was officially released, but idk if that counts.
Thanked by:
not that I'm a guru of the rules, but I see no reason for it not to be "based on a character who appeared in official game related media" the character was in the game itself, albeit another gender, and the concept being released as an official concept its not even counted as a gender bender, its blatantly an official character, maybe not cannon but official none the less.
Thanked by: Gaia, Garamonde, Marth