Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Not Kevin's sprites
Introduction if you're interested.

My first sprite, improved and a few other costumes (just because)
[Image: Spriesofblackhole_zps7d1e077e.png]

A friend asked me to make her look like a sprite, so I did, I added comparisons because I didn't know what would be better, and i feel like the legs are a bit awkward. (didn't resize it sorry)
[Image: samussprite_zps475532d9.png]

A custom Link (WIP)
[Image: Linkcustom_zps05fbf0a2.png]

Thats basicly it besides a minceraft styled sword but it's only a result of complete boredom. Critique please.
---------------------------------------------------
EDIT: it would be apprieciated Blank
Thanked by:
the black shirt man looks reeeally thin, most the arms and the pants have too much contrast! Also his hand does not look much like it goes in a pocket but more like he does not have one. The girl looks much too thin too! Link head has too manc colors and not enough contrast! Smile
Thanked by: Imnotkevin
Thanks for the critique, but I have a few questions. By thin do you mean thin overall or just the arms, (I try to sprite JUS styled btw). and are you applying the contrast for only links head or everything, also I have other less detailed versions of links head to the left. I put it there to compare but I resized what I thought was best.
Thanked by:
Overall, especially arms and legs but also the woman torso. and contrasts arent really good on all of them but mostly on link plus it is hard to see where the light source is Shy
undefined

WTF? I tried to edit it and it came out as undefined... I have no Idea what happened so I tried to post something else, same result, I'm using quick chat now, What I ment to say was...

I see well what you mean... thanks, lemme see what I can do.

UPDATE: I added Link's torso and added more contrast and used less colors for his skin, I wasn't sure which one of the torso's you would have liked, so I put multiple ones, not done with his hat, or other hand, the other things are still being created...
[Image: Linkcustom_zps238841c7.png]
Thanked by:
(I deleted the other post)

I'd suggest to always draw the whole figure first and then start finishing parts. Otherwise, you're likely to end up with different pieces not fitting together properly.

You're using WAY too many colours. 41 for the one in the top-right. You're using several almost-similar colours and shades with low contrast. You can easily get rid of the most of them. Try to merge similar colours into one, like some brown of the belt with the skin outline, grey of the glove-things with his eyes, dark grey of the sleeves with bright grey of the gloves etc.
Well sometimes when I use high contrast for shading, It just looks awkward, and as for the merging... I use paint for spriting, so I dunno If there is some tool for merging colors, I'm still pretty much a newbie at spriting. (help with the undefined thing would be appreciated as well.)
Thanked by:
It's a manual job. Look at your colours, see if some are awfully similar, then replace one with the other (You can use the erasor in MSPaint to recolour easily).
Too high contrast can look bad, too, yes. However, yours certainly seems to be too low.

As for the "undefined" issue, I don't understand it, you'd have to elaborate more on what the problem is.
Oh I see, well would the left torso be the best one to start working on? and the gloves things are blueish, the lightest part of the belt is already being used for the skin outline, and is there any problem with the anatomy of it?

(I can post the undefined problen in errors right? PMing is not really an option, I tried pming mighty jekatu, with the title being the only thing explaining to him what happened...)

Edit: How is 26 colors for the torso and the head?
Thanked by:
Update: Link, Finished his entire body, tried to remove some of the colors, (hope about 25 colors are okay), and *tried to add some more contrast, I know there is something wrong with the anatomy, but I cant put my finger on it.

[Image: Linkcustom_zpsb59b42a1.png]
Thanked by:
Where are his knees, on the floor? Move them up! Still too many colors and too little contrast, kid, check the darkest hair shades for example and the two mid green tones.
(12-24-2012, 03:28 PM)OverlordNext Wrote: check the darkest hair shades for example and the two mid green tones.
I'm sorry, but what do you mean by "check"? Blank
Thanked by:
Take a look at them. Compare them. Think about them.
Hows this?

[Image: Linkcustom_zps58e5b2c3.png]
I replaced the two green midtones with one, and darkened the hair.
It still feels funky for some reason Blank
Thanked by:
-try fixing the boot closer to the light source, it looks crooked
-I think even less colors are need on such a small sprite, the highlights on links tunic/stocking might need to be removed. Its cloth material, not silk, so it shouldn't be as glossy as his hair
[Image: mugen.gif][Image: 41583772.gif]

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by: