Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
General Sprite Experimentation (previously colour experimentation)
In this thread I'll be experimenting with all sorts of things, most recently animation, but before that colour, if you look through the thread you'll be able to see my progression.

EDIT: playing with colours again, I really want to get better at picking my pallet, so I've been fiddling to make a 16 or under pallet for general purpose use.
[Image: ihUgSEN.png]
EDIT: just playing around with pixels in-between coding the vertical space shooter for P2PG arcade, I thought I'd try some mining stuff and eventually got into trying out my luck with human proportions again.
[Image: sWHKAJ8.png]
EDIT: another random piece I'm making just for the sake of experimenting with styles
[Image: iIAYS.png][Image: Pf6zk.png][Image: 4smBo.png]
EDIT: Felt like actually trying some NES spec 8-bit sprites!
The entire POSSIBLE colour selection above, just below it the 4 pallets (NES only capable of handling 4 pallets at a time), below that the sprites and ofc a sample.
[Image: ji8Y1.png][Image: JANBh.png][Image: 9gKbw.gif][Image: 4BZVJ.gif]

SPROCKET! bit of a cleaned up sheet and timing as well as new legs
[Image: pIt4k.png][Image: UEYAe.gif]

EDIT: I thought it a waste to make another topic especially seeing as this topic will be effected most by this subject,
I'm changing this thread to a colour pallet experimentation thread, I'm trying out styles which are foreign to me and I'm trying to get more variety and feel in my colour choices.

Here are 2 pallet choices, the TDS is aimed at to be tropical and vibrant, the platformer is aimed to be a gloomy forest.
[Image: 3Jol0.png]
a slight pallet change and some extra bits and bobs added
[Image: 3ygcC.png][Image: NMPyN.gif]
EDIT: I've decided to play around some more with NES limitations, I'm quite enjoying the challenge
[Image: jbZoi.png][Image: Yh2CE.png]
and here is the sheet in practice as a header for my website (a work in progress it'll be keeping updates on my game projects)
[Image: NETyN.png]
old link: http://i.imgur.com/Za9Q2.png

EDIT: and so here I start the vertical fantasy space shooter!
[Image: 1PEYD.png][Image: DFpnH.gif]

EDIT EDIT: another experimentation with colour I revised a sprite originally for TFR,
[Image: Am3qG.png][Image: 6MYjL.gif]

Any and all comments and crits are welcomed and encouraged,
Thanks in advanced,
Bombshell
Thanked by: Zac
[Image: dNqFN.png]
my first try at the background, using the second pallet (changed the tones of the sky) looped once.
Thanked by:
I wouldn't use dithering when things are supposed to be viewed in enlarged resolution. I think the shading on your mountains forms too many long straight lines.
Thanked by: Bombshell93
[Image: XYU9H.png]
hows this?
EDIT: ofc I plan to put clouds aswell, just working out the land since you mentioned it
Thanked by:
Looks better to me, yes :>
Thanked by:
I thought it a waste to make another topic especially seeing as this topic will be effected most by this subject,
I'm changing this thread to a colour pallet experimentation thread, I'm trying out styles which are foreign to me and I'm trying to get more variety and feel in my colour choices.
Here are 2 pallet choices, the TDS is aimed at to be tropical and vibrant, the platformer is aimed to be a gloomy forest.
[Image: 3Jol0.png]
[Image: Za9Q2.png]

I may use these sprites at some time, but for now I'm just enjoying playing around with them.
I'm fairly happy towards the results so far.
Thanked by:
I really like these!! The Second mushroom looks not good round with the bulges at the bottom. Shy
Thanked by:
Honestly the mushroom looks more like a tree (it's actually a tree isn't it) so I would get rid of the corners on the stalk and maybe that "separation" in the shading since that makes it look like tree roots or something.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
[Image: 7nUOZ.png]
added a cave tileset, fixed the mushroom (which btw is a spring mushroom, 1 is idle, 2 and 3 are bounce and retract)
and I've added murky water.
Thanked by:
added a little ninja, no new colours added to the pallet, I will need to add some soon so the ninja won't blend in with the background (current tiles being foreground)
[Image: 8kXLI.png]
[Image: PgzJx.gif]
EDIT:
[Image: r2VgJ.png] the sheet in practice, I think I could make a nice little game out of this set so long as I make a background and some extra bits and bobs.
Thanked by: Previous
the ninja walks really weird, I think you should look for walk cycle references.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B], Virt
I've done a little more work on it,
including the addition of jump, revision of run and idle and jump attacks,
aswell as a new red shade added to make uncut and cut gems for which would obviously be scoring aids, if I do turn this into a mini-game project, I might as well have a story,
ghost ninjas being evil, feed gems to ancient oriental dragon to get rid of them... I think that should suffice for a mini-game.
[Image: TQpUr.png]
[Image: y3eMF.gif]
is this looking better? if you notice something wrong let me know (barring the lack of arms in the run animation, its intended for now while the legs are fixed up.)
Thanked by:
He kind of looks like he's.. skipping? He seems to be putting his legs behind
too quickly, maybe another in-between frame would help make it a little more
fluid?
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by:
I've done some edits on your character,

[Image: NkYap.png]

check the sprites inside the circle. I gave the ninja a more battle-ready pose. Ninjas are supposed to be quick and ready for action, so I reflected that in the stance.

As for the walk, I only did three frames because I took advantage of the legs' ambiguidity. the sprite only takes one 'step', but when looped, it looks like a full cycle.

[Image: xiBZ6.gif]

Of course, you'll have to double it anyway to draw the swinging arms, but have in mind that walking is a symmetrical movement so the steps need to be even between his left and right sides, unless he is limp.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
[Image: vQ7Ln.png][Image: TDj3f.gif]
I've given it a go myself, it is looking significantly better, if you have no problems with it I'll add arms when I get back from watching the hobbit Tongue
Thanked by: