Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mario Sunshine - Delfino Plaza 2D
Hello,
I'm a real fan of Mario Sunshine and for a sprite comics, I tried to custom Delfino Plaza in 2D style :

Delfino Plaza

I hope you will like it Smile
Thanked by:
Woah, that's huge! xD

Awesome job on it, It's just not all sprite work though, it's a mix of sprites and textures + some soft shadowing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but things tend to look better if they're more consistent, so I'd recommend trying to change all the areas you soft shadowed/used textures into sprites, or to go for a digitally painted Delfino Plaza. ;D
Thanked by:
jesus, the combination of Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Super Mario Sunshine was like being hit with a nostalgia piledriver.

I have to say, even though some of the sprites are a little weird or don't fit, this is really cool! Do you plan on doing any other Mario Sunshine maps?
[Image: dariC.png][Image: QUmE6.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
Well, this looks nice and there's effort here, but I don't really like the textures/sprite thing. Also, the sprite elements are done quite poorly imo, with pillowshading and rigid straight lines. Some huts are out of perspective (mainly the Tanuki hut) and overall, it would be better (though harder) to make this entirely in tiles and pixelart.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, Virt
Thanks all for your post.
I knowed that mix of sprite and texture was not the best choice but it was the easest choice lol.
I've made a lot of pixel art on it and I would finish that as soon as possible (it was for a sprite comic).
For the moment, I don't want to custom the other area (it's not for a fan game) but maybe ...
If I have time, I will rework it Wink
Thanked by:
It's a great start, but I'd look at the shading of a lot of buildings in the M&L games and apply them to yours.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Er, he never said it was supposed to be M&L style though...
But yeah, they'd be good reference either way.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
The number one biggest, most obvious issue is that the giant Shine in the tower is pillow shaded.

After that it's the fact that like half or more of the image isn't even pixelled and was done using digital art tools.
Of the stuff that was pixelled (and even the stuff that wasn't), most of it has a lot of issues with shading and lineart and whatnot.

You have a decent base I suppose, but this is in no way (completely) pixelart. There's a lot of fixes that need to be made to get it to that stage. A lot of it clashes.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
No You make a mistake.
The giant shine is really Pixel art and the biggest party of this picture is pixel art.
I used digital art tools only for some ombrage (not all) and for the background (moutain and ground).
For the rest, I reaaly make it pixel by pixel.

After, If I have time, I can make it completely in Pixel art (it's not very difficult with this base) or completely drawing (as Mario and Luigi DS style).
Thanked by:
Yes, I know the shine is pixel art. That's why it's the biggest issue. :p
It's still pillow shaded though, which, as said, is a big issue.

As far as the the rest of the things that actually -are- pixelled, most of them are also pillow shaded as well and/or don't convey any depth which makes them look flat.

I know this is intended for a sprite comic, but that shouldn't make it any less important that the background is consistent and well-pixelled. Having your background match and complement the sprites that will be on it will just make it look that much better.

For example, look at Neoriceisgood's A Path To Greater Good comic. Note how all of the backgrounds are custom pixelled and match the sprite style used for the characters. They look natural and like the characters are supposed to be in those areas.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
Yes I understand that you want to say.

But I think I misspoke, I really haven't the time to do something better. It was for a little amical contest so I had a time constraint.
But when I had time, I will make it completely in pixel art and rework some sprite or I will redraw them (in M and L style).

So I'm happy to doing this in the short time I had ^^", and now that I have this base, it would be easer to rework on this Smile
But thanks for your post Wink
Thanked by:
this is certainly not pixel art. maybe a huge drawing done in MSPaint with the line tool and no antialiasing here and there, but in no way pixel art.

besides the evident and lazy use of textures in the mountain, most of it has been shaded with brushes and gradients.
Thanked by:
(12-05-2012, 05:05 PM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: besides the evident and lazy use of textures in the mountain, most of it has been shaded with brushes and gradients.

I have already answer to that, The big party of that is pixel.
And none brush have been used (the mountain is a some of tiles I used, and the only moment I didn't use the pixel was for some shadow (for some building) but it's in majority pixel art.
Thanked by:
(12-05-2012, 05:05 PM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: this is certainly not pixel art. maybe a huge drawing done in MSPaint with the line tool and no antialiasing here and there, but in no way pixel art.

Please don't try to start a "what is pixel art?" argument, clearly there is a level of pixelwork in his background (windows and statues, for instance)
Thanked by: Moonlink
(12-05-2012, 06:42 PM)Sengineer Wrote:
(12-05-2012, 05:05 PM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: this is certainly not pixel art. maybe a huge drawing done in MSPaint with the line tool and no antialiasing here and there, but in no way pixel art.

Please don't try to start a "what is pixel art?" argument, clearly there is a level of pixelwork in his background (windows and statues, for instance)
Sorry my dear, i'd love to have an argument about this except for the fact there is nothing to be argued about it.
there is stuff done with 1px brush and stuff painted with flat colors, and as such, you could go ahead and call that "pixel art". but even then, there is absolutely nothing else besides that that could be considered as what we all understand as such.

this is not pixel art, just just a huge digital drawing with stuff drawn with 1px lines and thats all. there is merit on the size and attention to details, and thats all. shading could and should be improved, but for that it would require OP to actually shade everythign follow a fixed lightsource - and that alone would require a complete redo of the whole thing, if not just take a darker brush and darker every object accordingly.
Thanked by: