Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
TSR COMPO 10: Scrooge is my Homeboy
Christmas is close for most, and whenever the holiday draws near, I watch
all of my childhood favorite movies. I love seeing my favorite characters
again. You know, like the Grinch, The Boogie Man, and of course Mr. Scrooge.
..What?
I like the bad guys, is that wrong? They all share a common trait, they are all
greedy.

The goal this week is to design a main character sprite. The catch? The character
must be the embodiment of greed.

Compo prerequisites

+one sprite, any dimensions
+16 colors max palette
+must be an animated pose or action, minimum of 4 frames required

The character itself only needs to adhere to the palette, but it would be appreciated if any colors used for background or other
sprite elements be put in a separate palette, which also must only be 16 colors max. so I suppose you have two palettes to work
from, but only one may be used on the main character itself. Any cross-palette funny business will forfeit your entry.

I understand that some designs might not scream "I'm a greedy guy,"
so please tell us a little about your entry so voters can have a little
perspective on the character. Your character can be anything you want,
a robber, a thief, investment banker, you name it. Just so long as they are
all about the money. Also, the animation can be whatever you like,
an Idle pose, an attack, jump roping, it's your choice.

As Gors has pointed out a few posts down,
Quote:This challenge is not mainly pixelart; it is more a challenge to test your character design abilities, so look for a bunch of references of greedy traits, their symbolisms and colors, posing etc.
this pretty much sums up the heart of this compo.
The deadline for this compo is DECEMBER 4TH. Good luck, and have fun!
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

[Image: r10%20rough.png?w=6737c343&dl=1]

Letting this sit well over a year after it's made can have nice after-effects, though I'm in the process of remaking it, think of it as a rough draft (with the added bonus of the Loomis Method of drawing). This is his life in a nutshell:

Although my age may suprise you
I own the entire mining industry
Thanks to my unusually high IQ.

Using bribery to get what I want
Though one thing is certain, it's not about cash
it's the blood diamond, that's my goal you see?

many say that's the ultimate act of greed
but not fret, as I have a scheme
to get my hands on such a marvelous gem..

My dad is the pawn now, not me
He is my personal guard
Keeping both parents in line is what I do best.

Though there's still that pest
keeping me from accomplishing my dream
there must be a way to get rid of him somehow..

A constant battle it is, that's for sure
but I am top dog, he is not
it's not the rivalry you see, but the gem

I.
MUST.
HAVE IT!
Thanked by:
Broken image.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Baegal
What? Dangit dropbox!

[Image: r10%20rough.png?w=4c2b4ab3]

How about now?
Thanked by:
Gaia are you sure the file you linked is in a public folder?

Because it's still broken.
Thanked by:
Oh, is that why it worked when I downloaded it to my dropbox and linked it? Because mine's public.
(I fixed it for him btw)
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Oh shoot! Didin't know about that, derp. Shy

[Image: r10%20rough.png]

NOW it should work. I'm not using sites like imgur since I'll have to be constantly updating and all that along with color loss on some image uploading sites (Don't worry, it's merely a rough)~
Thanked by:
your skeleton sketch is leaning back too much; flip the sprite to notice such inaccuracies.

also personally this 'skeleton' stuff like the way you're doing works better in higher resolution media such as paper drawings and maybe bigger PAs/digital art; small sprites like those should still follow anatomy, but albeit in a more simplified way to fit the sprite and still be readable.

This challenge is not mainly pixelart; it is more a challenge to test your character design abilities, so look for a bunch of references of greedy traits, their symbolisms and colors, posing etc.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thankfully there are a bunch of greedy bastards, not just the aftermentioned few, Conker or well, Greed from FMA (aren't we all?).

What I have going on is basically the all-powerfull moneyman. AKA the guy who already owns the damn world yet he wants more (did so by controlling the entire world's mining industries, one of the few things that hold the modern world together), how will I get it to work in design, I'm not sure.

What I did was mainly a workout (to see if I can make a custom sprite without resorting to a base/template/edit). Also can we extend the deadline in case some of us end up taking longer on the design phase?
Thanked by:
I would suggest flipping that loomis skeleton upside down, then drawing it. Your cognitizing too much on what you think it should look like (the legs go down etc) try to just draw the lines first.
[Image: IiIQzhm.gif]
This might sound like an extremely stupid question, but do black and white count as colors?

lol I'm new here
[Image: dariC.png][Image: QUmE6.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
you may use up to any 16 colors you choose. Black and white and all shades in between are included as colors,

yes

have fun

Thanked by:
Thanks!

Very, very rough WIP of the lineart up to now just to display the direction I'm taking.
[Image: 29ln1va.jpg]

It's kinda weird attempting to emulate your own freehand drawing style in pixelart form, but I think I'm more or less doing a good job. Only time will tell, I suppose!

One more question, though - if there's a seperate object involved in the animation, does it have its own palette or does it count as part of the character's palette?
Thanked by:
The character itself only needs to adhere to the palette, but it would be appreciated if any colors used for background or other
sprite elements be put in a separate palette, which also must only be 16 colors max. so I suppose you have two palettes to work
from, but only one may be used on the main character itself. Any cross-palette funny business will forfeit your entry.

Ill' add this to the OP, thank you for bringing this up.

Thanked by:
lol no prob

Okay, I've got the lineart and the base colors pretty much done.

[Image: 106bgxv.jpg]

That knife's kinda bothering me though, Might try to fix that up somehow.
Thanked by: