Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Castlevania - Rondo of 8-bit [very early alpha]
So, after making this chiptune and seeing Gors' awesome 8-bit Richter sheet, I thought it could be fun to make an 8-bit version of Castlevania Dracula X (originally on SNES)

So yeah i started making sprites, and a mockup

Enemy comparisons
[Image: 1twVJ]
Left - SNES | Middle - mine | Right - NES

Mockup comparison
[Image: 1tyF5]

So yeah, not much more to explain, besides the code...
Well I thought of 2 ways to go about this project, either :

1. A NES Romhack

Well since Dracula X's physics and engine are pretty much the same as the NES Castlevania's, it should be pretty easy (there's also a neat castlevania nes level editor program called Stake).
The problem here is that creating new enemies will be complicated. One could either make the AI himself in Assembly 6504 language, or he could try and steal the AI from the SNES game, but I'm not sure how that would work.

2. A PC based game

In this case, finding a programmer should be easier seeing as the language is pretty much free choice. In this case, now, we won't have to adher the the NES restrictions at 100%
What i mean by this is that we could even try and innovate in the game, make it pretty different from the SNES version. (I was thinking maybe have it be a linear-type castlevania, but much faster-paced, with good controls and richter's special moves as seen in SotN or Por. The final result could resemble the NES ninja gaiden games)

Soooo, why don't you all tell me if you're interested in being the lucky programmer or what type of game you would prefer (between the 2 possibilities)

Thanks in advance !

EDIT: so yeah the engine is working, building the player atm, here's what the sprites are like:
[Image: OzBqiJi.png]
[Image: jljnFTE.png]
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Oh my god I wanted to do a downgrade project with Harmony of Dissonance, so I'm pretty much very interested in this project.

My vote goes for the pure PC game; you can retain more details to the original game if you do this.
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by:
I would like to work on the soundtrack with you, if possible! I love Castlevania music, so I'd really love if you let me!

also I'd say PC game.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Virt
(11-24-2012, 07:28 AM)Tae Kwon Doug Wrote: I would like to work on the soundtrack with you, if possible! I love Castlevania music, so I'd really love if you let me!

also I'd say PC game.

Hell, you can even help me with the sprites bro

Just try to keep it 20A3 though Smile
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by:
I personally would do VRC6 to mimic Castlevania III, but hey it's your game! I'll use the same instrumentation you used in your cover, so no worries.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
I like the idea of a redux!
However, I think you could do far better on your sprites.
Here are my suggestions for the bone pillar and the skeleton:
[Image: SFRyQ.png]
Hope it helps!
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Chris do you want to be on the team Shy
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Thanked by:
pc would be better I have no NES!! I like your ideaBig Grin
Thanked by:
If I wasn't already occupied I'd be glad to help with programming.

Anyway I'd also say PC for a number of reasons. Hope you find someone to do the coding!
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(11-24-2012, 01:16 PM)SupaBuddie Wrote: pc would be better I have no NES!!
Emulators exist Wink
Though I'd agree that PC would prob'ly be best, if only for flexibility reasons.
Thanked by:
(11-24-2012, 12:09 PM)Lexou Duck Wrote: Chris do you want to be on the team Shy
I'm afraid not, but I can give C+C! I'd prefer it if you tried improving your sprites because you can do better. Smile

Thanked by:
(11-25-2012, 07:10 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote:
(11-24-2012, 12:09 PM)Lexou Duck Wrote: Chris do you want to be on the team Shy
I'm afraid not, but I can give C+C! I'd prefer it if you tried improving your sprites because you can do better. Smile

It's a pretty laid back development, you just make what you feel like
anyways, i totally stole your stuff, and made more :
[Image: 1ud88]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
The new ones are good! I think you can improve them further more, though.
The skeleton ape's legs aren't at the same angle, while the rib cage and spine are pretty messy/noisy.
The zombie's colour choice isn't that contrasted to me, and the pose could do with some work, like leaning forwards.
Here are some edits :
[Image: quQz8.png]

Keep it up!

Thanked by: Previous, Lexou Duck
I notice you're lacking the brighter outline of the bat for the revision of it.

I would suggest that you bring that back, since the current no-outline version will make the bat almost invisible against the black backgrounds. Either that or choose a brighter color for the wings.
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

I edited your stuff, and made more Smile
[Image: 1usPx]

For the bat thing, I'll wait to see it in-game before i change anything, i might otherwise just have some bright selout on the surface lit by the lightsource
also i did some more frames :

[Image: 1utVp]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥