Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New Spriter
This is my first custom sprite sheet... It isn't complete, and it's not the best, but it's pretty good, if I do say so myself.

[Image: TOa5K.png?1]

Yes, these are made by me. All I did was open up an art program and a picture of the things.
Thanked by:
there isnt much to say about these, they're quite simple items and there isnt much detail nor they are specially elaborated or hard to reproduce.
although we'd like to recomend not using such a huge, empty canvas(let alone upload it) for the sake of.
Aside from that, you have barely any contrast between your shades, Hero234. It's not really visible there are any shades at all. You should use more distinguishable colous and not multiple shades that look almost exactly the same. If you can't tell a shade apart from the next, you could just as well not use it at all.

I'd recomment you to read the Spriting Dictionary, especially the sections on contrast, lightsource and pillow shading.
Thanked by: Phaze, Thor, Candel, Baegal
(11-20-2012, 06:48 PM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: there isnt much to say about these, they're quite simple items and there isnt much detail nor they are specially elaborated or hard to reproduce.
although we'd like to recomend not using such a huge, empty canvas(let alone upload it) for the sake of.

If you look closely, then you'll notice detail. Also, I'm using this for a fan-game I'm making. That is why the screen is so blank.
Thanked by:
We shouldn't have to look closely to see the detail. If any of your responses to criticism starts with "look closely" or "zoom in", then you're doing some thing wrong, so stop finding excuses and fix it.
(11-21-2012, 11:36 AM)Hero234 Wrote:
(11-20-2012, 06:48 PM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: there isnt much to say about these, they're quite simple items and there isnt much detail nor they are specially elaborated or hard to reproduce.

If you look closely, then you'll notice detail. Also, I'm using this for a fan-game I'm making. That is why the screen is so blank.

Honestly, I turned my screen up to full brightness and zoomed in on my web browser and still couldn't really see detail. Contrast is extremely important.
[Image: cIUPd.png]
Give me my own member group!
--
megazario Wrote:quite amazing good job make up more keep up the good work
plz dont give me a bad point plz for sounding a bit gay here
Thanked by:
Like Cobalt blue said, too simple sprites with to much blank space.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; ....I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein
Thanked by:
There is a little bit of details, but it is very difficult to see, to the point where it might not be there at all. A sorta pillow shading around the mushroom face and a vein-like line in the leaves of the flower was all I was able to spot after careful examination. It is very unlikely anyone would see this detail in the course of playing a game (in my opinion anyway).
Thanked by:
[Image: 6g16T.png]
To give you a better idea of what we are talking about

My edit isn't that good since I'm still a beginner and practicing, but yea, here you can tell there are difference in color and hue shift, Not so much for contrast though :/

simplify your shades for a sprite that small, and also the ?mushroom? of the....mushroom was too big, I made it a bit smaller so you can see it better, Also the white parts were too big for a mushroom of that size

or just look at Ploaj's edit below that is 10 times better than mine
Love : Previous(2)(3), Trollerskates(2), Nicktendo DS(2), Hiynastrike, ShadeDBZ(2), Recolorme, Sevenstitch, SupaBuddie,

Thanked by:
Also, shade to convey depth.
[Image: 8nCC9.png]
Tips:
*Red shades usually hue-shift to pinkish.
*Same goes for peach
*White shades usually hue-shift to blueish desaturated grey.
In this case, the white would hueshift better to pink because the entire object is almost red.

[Image: Nz3EG.png]

changed the light blue for the pink from its 'face'. Notice how it looks better and less out-of-place. When shading textures, such as spots or patterns, you need to visualize the object in 3D. You'll soon realize that the white spots are flat in the mushroom cap, so shading it would be inviable. You should then consider the hat and spots as one object only and shade it accordingly. The anti-alias should be a in-between color (in this case, red+white=pink) and not a completely unrelated one (light blue).

Hope this helps.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
so then OP, any news?
Thanked by:
(11-21-2012, 01:58 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: We shouldn't have to look closely to see the detail. If any of your responses to criticism starts with "look closely" or "zoom in", then you're doing some thing wrong, so stop finding excuses and fix it.

This is going to be for a game for the DS (using the DSGameMaker) and so you'll see it a lot closer.

(11-21-2012, 08:12 PM)Rakia Wrote:
(11-21-2012, 11:36 AM)Hero234 Wrote:

Honestly, I turned my screen up to full brightness and zoomed in on my web browser and still couldn't really see detail. Contrast is extremely important.

The reason for it being so blank, is that it isn't entirely finished!

(11-21-2012, 01:34 AM)Previous Wrote: Aside from that, you have barely any contrast between your shades, Hero234. It's not really visible there are any shades at all. You should use more distinguishable colous and not multiple shades that look almost exactly the same. If you can't tell a shade apart from the next, you could just as well not use it at all.

I'd recomment you to read the Spriting Dictionary, especially the sections on contrast, lightsource and pillow shading.

There was a really big chance that I may have put too much of a contrast and it would have looked chunky!
Thanked by:
Dude, you're not listening to the criticism. Cry

A sprite should be designed such that it doesn't have to be zoomed in or looked at pixel by pixel, like Hoeloe said.

Be sure to share with us any cool additions you add to it. It's been a few days now and those aren't exactly huge sprites. Sad

You should know how much contrast you want to put. Don't be afraid of color correcting images as well as using RGB Curves. Try doing that on Gimp to get some nice contrast/hue shifting. There's no chance of doing it wrong if you're careful and pay attention. Blank

And don't take anything said here as trying to bash you, we're all only trying to help. Wink
Thanked by: Virt
People here were kind enough to show you great examples you should listen I think.

Thanked by: Virt, Natis