Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Submitting JPGs
I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING I'M NOT THAT STUPID I KNOW I SHOULDN'T SUBMIT SPRITES AS JPG

What I mean is, what if the game uses JPGs in the first place? I was just looking through the images of SPAZ and I found a bunch of background images that were in JPG format. Should I resave them as PNG or what?

Just wondering since I have no idea what to do in this situation, or if it's even happened before.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Kill the creators of said game.
TBH .PNG won't help any lost quality so I don't see why they can't be left, but I suppose you could re-save the graphics if only to make yourself look better. Tongue
I've had .JPGs in Bomberman Touch: The Legend of Mystic Bomb's graphics so I just stuck those on a sheet heh.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
I'd convert them into PNG to prevent accidental re-saving which would degrade the quality even more.
Thanked by: Garamonde, puggsoy
OK then, I'll just do that. Just wanted to check if there was any specific procedure for this sort of thing, or if I should just not submit them at all.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Reading this title nearly made me rage so hard...

But yeah, as said above.

(+ man I hate JPEGS...)
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by: puggsoy
Photofiltre has an option for jpg quality, I guess when you take 100% your picture doesn't lose quality.

But yeah, one accident and the pic is ruined. XNview (freeware) has a good batch converter for turning jpgs into pngs.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
Thanks for that! There's only a couple of images so I don't really need a batch converter, but it'll probably come in extremely useful in the future.

EDIT: Actually just remembered that I have IrfanView and it can also convert multiple files. Still, thanks for mentioning batch conversion in general.
Thanked by:
(11-21-2012, 11:54 AM)Davy Jones Wrote: Photofiltre has an option for jpg quality, I guess when you take 100% your picture doesn't lose quality.

Even on the "100%" setting, quality will be lost. It's just the lowest compression option JPEG offers, but the image will still be compressed with their usual quirks.
Thanked by:
(11-17-2012, 05:43 PM)Mighty Jetaku Wrote: TBH .PNG won't help any lost quality so I don't see why they can't be left, but I suppose you could re-save the graphics if only to make yourself look better. Tongue
I've had .JPGs in Bomberman Touch: The Legend of Mystic Bomb's graphics so I just stuck those on a sheet heh.

Well saving as a PNG can create the image rendered causing a better and sharper result, but the quality in general would be the same, but having a rendered image opposed to one with a white or black background is so much better, it's easier for everyone.
--
So for your question, I recommend you re-save your projects as .PNGs but make sure the sprite is rendered* (if it isn't already)

*Render - (Short terms) an image without a background, one that you can see through
Thanked by:
(11-22-2012, 12:18 AM)Supah Fly Wrote: So for your question, I recommend you re-save your projects as .PNGs but make sure the sprite is rendered* (if it isn't already)

*Render - (Short terms) an image without a background, one that you can see through

It's actually just the background images, without any sprites on top of them. Luckily the sprites themselves are PNGs.
Thanked by: