Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
tSR Compo Vol. 9: Enviromental Hazard
No one made one yet, I, one of the runner-ups, am here to save the day.

The theme of today: Enviroments.

The rules:
-The subject must be an asset or collection of assets that can be used for an enviroment. That includes tilesets. Think trees, rocks, plants, water, clouds, the list goes on. Stuff like faces on hills like those from Mario are allowed.
--The entry MUST contain atleast one asset or tile. However, a single tile is very unlikely to win the competition.
-No characters, animals, monsters and the like allowes. Again, things like faces on hills are an exception.
-Backgrounds are allowed, but not mandatory.
--You are allowed to make a mock-up, as long as it focusses on the asset and/or tiles. Of course you'd have to arrange the tiles to make a proper mock-up, so it doesn't have to be an actual tileset, as long as it shows it's from a tileset. Mind that it's a waste to only use a part of your tileset for your mock-up, so either efficiently distribute every tile on that mock-up, or just show the tileset.
--Backgrounds* are primarily used to demonstrate the assets and/or tiles. You are not to be judged for the background*. (This is also sort of a rule for the voters)
--*A background made of tiles (Example: 32x32 repeated cave wall or SMB clouds and hills) count as tiles. Assets and tiles can be placed freely in a 'room' to design/create a level, while a background cannot.
-There is no size restriction, except that tiles in tilesets must be squares of multiples of 8 high and wide. (A 56x50 tree for example would fit in a 64x64 square, so that doesn't matter)
-Color limit is 16, including transparency. That goes for the entire work, including backgrounds and everything. Not per tile.

How creative is your enviroment? Remember that grassland isn't the only type of enviroment there is.

What are you waiting for? Get landschaping!

Due date is extended to Monday 26th of November.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Does it have to be made up entirely of tiles?
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
(11-15-2012, 08:30 AM)Mighty Jetaku Wrote: Does it have to be made up entirely of tiles?

It's a choise. You can make a tileset, an asset or both (basically make the asset part of the tileset).
You can make a beautiful 160x160 tree if you want, or a rock. Tileset is optional; it is useful for creating enviroments.
In a way, a single 160x160 tree is a 32x32 tileset of 5 tiles high and 5 tiles wide, though chances are none of them can be properly repeated.

Thanked by:
Well, I meant more like, if the entry can or can't be like a whole "piece", as in doing the whole thing as one, instead of being formed from different parts, if I'm making sense.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
(11-15-2012, 11:35 AM)Mighty Jetaku Wrote: Well, I meant more like, if the entry can or can't be like a whole "piece", as in doing the whole thing as one, instead of being formed from different parts, if I'm making sense.

Yes, it can, as long as it can be used as an asset and isn't a background.

EDIT: To clarify it more, you can use a background as long as it focusses on the asset and/or tiles. I'll edit the rules accordingly.

EDIT2: Sweet kitty Jesus, making a foolproof set of rules is hard. I hope people are able to figure out what counts as an asset, what counts as a tile/tileset and what counts as a background.

Thanked by:
What is the due date for this compo? I don't seem to see it in the op.

Oh, and the color limit, is that 16 per tile, or for the entry overall?
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by:
(11-17-2012, 10:19 AM)Sevenstitch Wrote: What is the due date for this compo? I don't seem to see it in the op.

Oh, and the color limit, is that 16 per tile, or for the entry overall?

Whoops, forgot the due date.
Since there has been no sign of actual work (though you may be doing it behind my back, you sneaky ninjas), I set the due date to a week from now, November 24th.

The color limit applies to the entire work.

These points have been edited in the OP.

Thanked by:
When you say "assets," do you mean objects that the player actively interacts with, such as platforms and barrels and the like,
Or does this include scenery objects as well? Objects that go behind the player that have no function excepting ambiance would
kind of be "background," would they not? I guess what I'm asking is, what layer of tiles are we working on here, foreground useage
tiles, or back detail layer tiles?

This distinction is important for me, as most of everything I've made so far is foreground tiles.

Thanked by:
(11-18-2012, 09:27 AM)Sevenstitch Wrote: When you say "assets," do you mean objects that the player actively interacts with, such as platforms and barrels and the like,
Or does this include scenery objects as well? Objects that go behind the player that have no function excepting ambiance would
kind of be "background," would they not? I guess what I'm asking is, what layer of tiles are we working on here, foreground useage
tiles, or back detail layer tiles?

This distinction is important for me, as most of everything I've made so far is foreground tiles.

Both. As long as it's placable in an enviroment. Background assets aren't the background itself, if that makes any sense. They form a background, like cloud and mountain tiles in Super Mario Bros.
What I classify as a background here are screen-sized pixel-arts and the like.

Thanked by: Sevenstitch
Well not a lot of activity this compo so far, aside from me asking questions.
Guess I'll throw my WIP up here

Tiles
[Image: tiles%20wip.png]

Without background
[Image: mocknoback.png]

With Background
[Image: mockyesback.png]

UPDATE 11-25

+Added lamps
+Modified Mock-up
+Added Background (not to be used for judging)
+14 out of 16 colors used (12 color, 1 black, 1 transparent)
+320 8x8 tiles total, 14 of which are either copies of palette or mirrored tiles

You may notice that the added background is from my steampunk contest entry, I'm mearly using it to show
an alternate view in my mock-up, It should not be used to influence the judging of my piece in anyway, as
It is stated in the rules of the contest that
(11-15-2012, 06:05 AM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: --Backgrounds* are primarily used to demonstrate the assets and/or tiles.
You are not to be judged for the background*. (This is also sort of a rule for the voters)

Probably a final update on this, unless I think of something else to add. If anyone has a problem with me using
existing work for my optional background, tell me and I'll remove it.

[Image: mBsHV.png]

I'm in!
Thanked by: Garamonde, Previous, Phaze, Candel
Pretty lonely in here. I'm not all that practiced with backgrounds, but I guess I'll drop my name into the hat.

[Image: gbhexagons.png] [Image: gbhexmockup.png] [Image: gbhexmockup2e.png]
^ Some kind of Game Boy... hexagon land?

Not sure why, but hexagons. I can't decide how far I want to go with this, so we'll call it a WIP.

EDIT: Ehhh, a simple interior is about all I could come up with for extras. That's what I get for spriting by the seat of my pants, I suppose. The second mockup displays the interior tiles, which are collected on the bottom of the sheet. Guess I'll call it done, considering how close it is to the deadline.
I'm metagame. I'm familiar with backgrounds, but hopefully this will make up from the last attempt. Rolleyes

[Image: SRuTE.png]

Asset: Whatever that is in the background. Serves a purpose as it's supposed something else entirely together. It's supposed to be a factory, albeit not an impressive one..
Thanked by: Previous, Garamonde, Candel
Is it possible you can extend the due date to the 26th?
Love : Previous(2)(3), Trollerskates(2), Nicktendo DS(2), Hiynastrike, ShadeDBZ(2), Recolorme, Sevenstitch, SupaBuddie,

Thanked by: Previous
Sure. Activity is a little low, so why not.

Thanked by: Previous, Garamonde, Gaia, Candel