Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Pick a thing.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
[Image: Y3xMi.png] - NICKtendo DS
20.00%
6 20.00%
[Image: 2ywa5g7.png] - Keiang
10.00%
3 10.00%
[Image: strange_flightless_bird_by_chase_san-d5jlw08.png] - Chase
0%
0 0%
[Image: 2egyU.png] - recolorme
10.00%
3 10.00%
[Image: ECZQQ.png] - Torch
3.33%
1 3.33%
[Image: 6NAuv.png] - SupaBuddie
0%
0 0%
[Image: iy2DFxgta6k6O.png] - ShadeDBZ
0%
0 0%
[Image: comp8luigi3.png] - Natis
0%
0 0%
[Image: jGsbVRWz8Qifj_e.jpg] - Dr. Ravenstein
0%
0 0%
[Image: fishsillouettething.png] - Cytric Acid
23.33%
7 23.33%
[Image: rkreQ.png] - Crappy Blue Luigi
3.33%
1 3.33%
[Image: rnjf6.png] - Tellis
0%
0 0%
[Image: spook2.png] - Sevenstitch
20.00%
6 20.00%
[Image: comp8entry.png] - Virtuaboy123
10.00%
3 10.00%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

tSR Compo Vol. 8: Shadowboxing VOTING
Quote:[Image: shadow1.png] [Image: shadow2.png]
[Image: shadow3.png] [Image: shadow4.png]

((RULES))
Pretty simple stuff. Just pick one silhouette and fill it in. Anything goes as long as you don't do anything that would change the silhouette. This means no extra pixels outside and no blank or open space inside. EDIT: You are allowed to flip or rotate the silhouette.

We vote and we wait.

[Original topic]
Thanked by:
I can't decide Cry
Thanked by:
When does voting end?
and there's always more
Thanked by:
Tonight. If I made the poll correctly, 24 hours after I created the topic if you want specifics.
Thanked by:
I think it's time to count the votes, huh?

This time's winner is Cytric Acid (7), closely followed by Sevenstitch and NICKtendo DS (6).

Thanks to everyone for participating!
Thanked by: Garamonde, Cytric Acid, Shade
I think the other entries are pretty mediocre. Crappy Blue Luigi's did the best with filling the space by making it not a whole "thing" and almost depicting a scene, which should really have been the goal of every pixelartist who entered this competition. For the most part, all I see is a lot of people showing off with something they could do particularly easy.
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by:
uh, what

the goal of the competition was to fill in the silhouette, not to make a scene
i mean sure, someone could have done that but nowhere do the rules state that as a requirement
"showing off" is kind of the point of a spriting competition
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
Actually, the whole purpose behind weekly themes and different people handling them, is to get people to try new things and experiment with different techniques.
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by:
..What does that have to do with making a scene?
And why does that suddenly make the other entries less relevant?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
I do have to agree that I was hoping to see a few more entries like Keiang's, Virtuaboy's, and Crappy Blue Luigi's -- entries that depicted multiple entities projecting a single silhouette. It doesn't mean there wasn't any merit in the ones that didn't do something like that.

I was personally impressed by Sevenstitch's reaper in that it was the only one that used the bird-like silhouette and didn't depict something in profile. NICKtendo DS's plant-thing was nothing to scoff at either, if you ask me. Had I voted, though, my vote would have gone to Keiang's Dewgong rider. *shrugs*
Thanked by: SKELTON S. SKELETON
(11-11-2012, 03:45 AM)Vipershark Wrote: ..What does that have to do with making a scene?
And why does that suddenly make the other entries less relevant?

because thats the point of labeling it as a competition in the first place. to put the best of your skill into an entry to top the challenge. half of the participants did the exact same entry wich ultimately tells them they'd better work their creative process.

while this was a rather easy challenge, you should be aware that the key to sucess here was to bend the canvas to your desires, and not vice versa. something only 3 entries managed to achieve(wich unsurprisingly are not the top 3 entries)

tl;dr: dont be a fucking baby and just do something for the sake of making a filler. these activities are a way to challenge yourself and test your might, and as such you should take that goal as a priority.
Thanked by: SKELTON S. SKELETON
Everyone is free to enter for whatever reasons they may have and if they just want to make a "filler", that's alright.

The only thing that's bothering me here is that people who didn't even enter are now complaining about how bad everything is. Just enter next time and show how it's done, sheesh.
Thanked by: NICKtendo DS, Garamonde
wow dude did you just play the "you didn't make anything/aren't a pixelartist so you cant give criticism card"

do you actually know what forum you're on/is it possible you forgot
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by:
(11-11-2012, 05:25 AM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: tl;dr: dont be a fucking baby and just do something for the sake of making a filler. these activities are a way to challenge yourself and test your might, and as such you should take that goal as a priority.

While I agree that this should ideally be the purpose of such things, is it fair to not allow people to have other priorities in joining such activities? A competition can have different meanings to different people, and I'm not sure any one of them is the "correct" one.

Perhaps, if the OP had included something like "we'd like to see if you can do something... interesting [or another word more fitting]... with the space you have," then there'd be a set goal, but since that sort of wording wasn't included, you can't really blame people for "taking the easy way out," since they didn't think of the same purpose that you did.
Thanked by: Gwen, StarSock64
To be fair, these competitions are partly for trying to improve/putting your skills to the test, I guess, but it also is about having fun, too. And, the winner of the contest doesn't always necessarily have the "best" entry, or use the best techniques/style/make the best use of the limitations given, but some of those factors probably boil down a lot to one's opinion I suppose too, and at least those who don't sprite very often/these kinds of things gave it a go and exposed themselves to something different and new, which is also important.

EDIT: Also going off of what Kitsu said above, not everyone is as creative as others, including me.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: