Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SmashBro's Spriting Shenanigans II: Son of Shenanigans
This can be seen as a sort of "spiritual successor" to my spriting topic over at the Cutstuff forums; while I'll still keep that one updated now and then, I expect to move a lot of my newer content over to tSR seeing as how THAT'S WHAT THE WHOLE FORUM WAS MADE FOR. JUST A BUNCH OF SPRITING NERDS LIKE ME. Angry

10/14/12 - "Base Camp" (older work)

[Image: 851105.gif] [Image: UF-Whoa-1.gif] [Image: BlueGhostB.png] [Image: Comett.gif]

[Image: nidospin.gif]

10/17/12 - Halloween Costume

[Image: girlnz.png] [Image: monsterx.png]
Thanked by:
The Battle Chips and animated characters are a decent start, but those cards... those mostly seem to contain sprite edits (Cold Fusion, Beed 28 (?), Savior Swd., Korby and Ice/Sparky). I would suggest not doing edits/recolors and putting custom sprites in there. Others will be able to tell you more. Smile
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Those are community members from the Cutstuff forums. It's part of a project for a classes modification there. You know, sort of how there's a guy here who goes by "Crappy Blue Luigi"? I can see your perspective though, and thanks for the comments.
Thanked by:
oh man, you do not know how long i've been waiting for someone to pull this card

the reason it's ok for me to have a recolor character but not others is partly because i'm not going around and actually making recolors/edits. all of the sprites i've done of Crappy are custom and give him a distinct personality that somehow immediately differentiates him from Luigi Vanilla.
maybe it's also because a lot of the idea behind my character is that he's a blatant recolor.

other than that though i have no clue and am kind of baffled that i'm accepted here Shy

most (not all) of the sprites in your cards are recolors/edits of sprites that others made. this is kind of very frowned upon here because it's so low-effort and low-skill that it demonstrates no talent or understanding of fundamental spriting techniques and concepts. while recolors are what some spriters start off with, and edits are a decent way to get the hang of certain concepts, customs are 100% Your Work and are what we want to see and critique to help you become a better sprite artist.
nothing particulary relevant/impresive in what you posted. not as sprite edits nor as "custom" content, wich i have to say is basically... nothing.

you can take your outpost-thread and keep it for yourself, because no on is going to be impressed by those weak foundations you wanted to establish.

if you get what i mean.
Thanked by:
(10-15-2012, 08:33 AM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: nothing particulary relevant/impresive in what you posted. not as sprite edits nor as "custom" content, wich i have to say is basically... nothing.

you can take your outpost-thread and keep it for yourself, because no on is going to be impressed by those weak foundations you wanted to establish.

if you get what i mean.

Can we, once and for all, drop comments of this sort? They're getting old and annoying. There's not a piece of actually helpful criticism in there. The "noone cares about such threads" aspect is one that will prove itself when noone replies to them. Stop complaining about people posting sprites on a sprite board.

If you get what I mean.
Op made a dump of stuff wich is clearly for display purposes, not for actual criticism.

even though, the only criticism that could be made about these is the same old statement that has been delivered every time someone posts sprite edits: dont make sprite edits nor dump them randomly expecting to be praised for the sake of. as far as i recall not every single one of the comments made has to be proper, full fledged criticism unless no one else had already stated everything that could be fixed/improved.

and even if that is not in the rules, its basic, pure common sense.
Thanked by:
And again a case of "why did take you two attempts to make a complete post"

I agree with Metaru wholeheartedly here, but I am also going to agree that such posts don't help much imo. Things would've been smoother if we simply said "dumping stuff here is frowned upon here". Being direct to the point is not sugarcoating too.

This being said, OP, avoid sprite dumps like this in the future, as well as edits. Those, while an ok way to first spriting, will not give you as much experience than making a completely custom work. Post it here so we can guide you on how to improve it.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
as if sugorcoating new users was ever one of my traits.
Thanked by:
Exactly. You don't sugarcoat your posts, and that's great. But my post was not sugarcoating either and explained why avoiding sprite dumps like the one found in the OP in a concise way.

Anyway I'll give this thread some more hours so OP can update the sprites. Otherwise I don't see any reason to keep a sprite dump thread like this opened up.
Thanked by: Keiang
Geez, I turn my back and you want to bash my face in for the quote-unquote "weak foundations". I can understand if you guys don't like "dump" threads, and I can understand if you asked me to change the thread or something, but you don't have to start arguing like an angry fat man who ran out of orange soda.

I find it funny how the guy who wrote the rules for Spriting & Pixel Art failed to follow the rules for Spriting & Pixel Art.

Cobalt Blue Wrote:You're free to help with advice, provide your opinion on the subject, or joke about the topic. However, keep the offtopic and the aggresivity to a minimum.
Cobalt Blue Wrote:not as sprite edits nor as "custom" content, wich i have to say is basically... nothing.

if you get what i mean.

Cobalt Blue Wrote:Some people would like to post edits, splices, frankenmons, tracing, recolors, and that is fine. Just hold your breath, take a shot of the nearest alcohol you can reach and explain him that the nature of said issue sometimes wouldn't benefit him, or that he should avoid do these because x reason you might want to elaborate (kicks in someone's face aren't an elaborated argument).
Cobalt Blue Wrote:Op made a dump of stuff wich is clearly for display purposes, not for actual criticism.

even though, the only criticism that could be made about these is the same old statement that has been delivered every time someone posts sprite edits: dont make sprite edits nor dump them randomly expecting to be praised for the sake of.

Was I expecting quote-unquote "praise"? No. I wasn't. I was expecting some constructive criticism, because you know, that's sort of this subforum's entire purpose for existing. Yes, I dumped a lot of stuff here, and it's old stuff to boot. Yes, a bit of it is recolours. Yes, even I think that some of it could use some good work. Does that give you an excuse to slander me? No. Does it give you a reason to "kick in my face"? Absolutely not.

I'm hoping that you'll calm down and put some damn pants on, and that I won't have to encounter any further foolishness in my thread, especially from someone so "high-standing" in the community... if I can even call it that.

In all honesty, I find this all somewhat amusing, for reasons stated above. I mean, I've seen far worse, and to see an explosion of THIS magnitude over a topic in which exactly one image is made of -- no, partially made of sprite edits... classic. Just classic. Everything else was fully made by me; no franken-edits, no traces, just using my own two eyes as my guide.

Alright, can we get serious? Please?

I guess I wasn't kidding when I called this thread "Spriting Shenanigans"...
Thanked by:
I took the liberty to remove the comic because it was uncalled for and only served as more hate fuel.

Can we get on topic again? OP, work on the sprites, and we shall give c+c to improve it. If anyone continue dragging this over, he/she will be warned.
Thanked by: Keiang, Garamonde, Phaze, Baegal
what a huge crybaby. nice way to conveniently ignore the criticism already given on the thread, as well and being a huge hypocrite and also ignore how you never asked for criticism in the first place.

in any case, go ahead. you have been told what has to be fixed on those and you simply gave an excuse to justify them. you were also asked to post more custom, 100% non edited content but again you haven't done so. you want us to criticize your 5minute mega man/sonic/FF edits? the only thing we can say about these is simple: don't do them.
Thanked by:
(10-16-2012, 06:09 AM)Mighty Switch Gors Wrote: If anyone continue dragging this over, he/she will be warned.

Said and done. That post was uncalled for as what needed to be said on that matter has been said.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Phaze
SmashBro, please don't mind the harshness. Just look at what Gors and others have said about your sprites to improve them and focus yourself on that rather than fighting with Metaru/Cobalt Blue as that will not get you anywhere.

Please let this feuding end here.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: SmashBroPlusB, Phaze