Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Help save planetary exploration

send in a letter
https://secure3.convio.net/planet/site/A...ion&id=139
Thanked by: Tellis, Guy
I'm going to be honest here, I'm not really in favour of these things and in my opinion, that money could be spent on more important things than a childhood dream. While I can understand that it is exciting and whatnot and there is the possibility of maybe having a chance of finding something that will be of any help for us, but I think other fields of research and projects are more relevant.
Thanked by: Sengir
(10-12-2012, 08:34 AM)Previous Wrote: I'm going to be honest here, I'm not really in favour of these things and in my opinion, that money could be spent on more important things than a childhood dream. While I can understand that it is exciting and whatnot and there is the possibility of maybe having a chance of finding something that will be of any help for us, but I think other fields of research and projects are more relevant.

What is more important than the survival of our species? Going to Mars is totally do-able and very useful.
Thanked by:
There has to be much better options for the survival of our species. Why not invest in non polluting energy sources, invest in cleaning up our environments, invest in the bettering of starving countries instead of investing on terraforming another planet? You shouldn't try to buy a new car just because your's needs a new coat of paint.
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by: Previous
No but it's wise to buy a new car when your family gets too big for it.

Having another planet to live on means we wouldn't have to abuse this one as much, less people here means less pollution and more food to go around. Also we should be able to master nuclear fusion within the near future.

Nothing could possibly help our species more than another planet's worth of resources and land. All throughout history there has been poverty, war, and a shit ton of other problems. If we tried to fix all that before we started exploring we'd never leave this old rock.
Thanked by: Thumbtacks
The problem with moving people to another planet is that we'd be moving people there. We've done quite a number
on this planet, which is our nature as a species, so I see no reason why we wouldn't eventually do the same thing
on another planet. I think its best that we contain our planet-wide destruction to one planet. We've left more than
a footprint on Earth alone already, by the time we leave it Earth will be nothing but a smear on the star-chart.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by:
Developing a super-mutant predator superior to humans to knock us from the top of the foodchain is a way to deal with human overpopulation.

But I guess a certain animal species would reject that idea.

I reject the idea of terraforming another planet. It's one thing to fuck up Earth's enviroment, let alone manipulate that of a planet initially not suited for human life to begin with.That stuff is for science fiction, where there are infinite funds, super advanced technology and no possible consequences.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by:
(10-12-2012, 12:05 PM)Sevenstitch Wrote: The problem with moving people to another planet is that we'd be moving people there. We've done quite a number
on this planet, which is our nature as a species, so I see no reason why we wouldn't eventually do the same thing
on another planet. I think its best that we contain our planet-wide destruction to one planet. We've left more than
a footprint on Earth alone already, by the time we leave it Earth will be nothing but a smear on the star-chart.

It is the nature of all life to do whatever is most beneficial to it's survival. In the future when science hopefully prevails and we become a type 1 civilization we will be able to use our resources more responsibly and fix up problems with our planet much more easily.

Oh no changing Mars from a seemingly lifeless red ball to a useful and liveable planet how awful.
Thanked by: Guy, Phantom Killah
(10-12-2012, 12:15 PM)Amon Wrote: It is the nature of all life to do whatever is most beneficial to it's survival.

We've defeated nature. We have the ability to reason and thus question said nature. (Why do people swim in seas they know contain sharks?)
It's not our nature that drives us to seek 'survival' by inhabiting another planet, it's our curiosity. Who are we to say this project wouldn't backfire in our faces? There is only one way to find out.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by:
(10-12-2012, 12:21 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote:
(10-12-2012, 12:15 PM)Amon Wrote: It is the nature of all life to do whatever is most beneficial to it's survival.

We've defeated nature. We have the ability to reason and thus question said nature. (Why do people swim in seas they know contain sharks?)
It's not our nature that drives us to seek 'survival' by inhabiting another planet, it's our curiosity. Who are we to say this project wouldn't backfire in our faces? There is only one way to find out.

No we have not defeated nature and we cannot defeat nature.
You're ability to think and reason is heavily influenced by your biology YOU ARE AN ANIMAL.
People swim in seas they know contain sharks because sharks are everywhere and shark attacks are pretty rare.
When I said that about life I was referring to how we've polluted this planet and used up so many resources because it helped us at that point in time not about how it's our nature to go to Mars.
Sure just like how going to the moon was a bad idea.
Thanked by:
You know, I'm not going to dispute that moving to Mars wouldn't be interesting, It would be quite
an experience. As the state of the world stands now, though, I seriously doubt we'd be able to get there.
One country alone can't make it there, we just don't have the time or money. Looking ahead is great, but
any funds spent on going to Mars right now would take away from funds fixing our problems here.

Anyone who is honestly of the opinion that we really need to just scrap Earth and move on to the next
planet isn't paying attention to what's going on globally right now.

All that said, If we ever do sort all of our problems here on Earth, or at least stabilize ourselves, then
I'd love to see us traversing to another planet at some point.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: Garamonde, NICKtendo DS
We don't need to scrap Earth we just need to go explore, and we actually do have the time and money.

Please watch this
Thanked by: Sevenstitch, Bigfoot, Gwen, Guy
I think I'm going to side with most people here; while exploring is cool and might bring us benefits, I think that we should take care of our planet more first. There are so many people living a miserable life, endangered animals to protect, pollution to take care of etc. My priority would be to fix things we're certain how to solve than embarking into somewhere we don't even even really have a grasp of.

IF the resources are more than enough, then exploring Mars would be cool, but more immediate results would be better imo.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]

YEAH YOU GUYS I AGREE WE SHOULD FIX THINGS

but that shouldn't stop us from going to Mars, you know that if we don't even bother to go to fucking mars before we fix all our problems

THEN WE WILL NEVER GET OFF THIS FUCKING ROCK BECAUSE THERES ALWAYS GONNA BE PROBLEMS
Whoa, I never thought I'd see the day that I agree with Pug!

But yeah, just because we try to get to Mars (or elsewhere) doesn't mean that you stop working on everything else. Just because I'm going into the games industry doesn't mean other people should stop working on the cure for cancer.