Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
blitZee's pixel wall
So eh, i recently started doing pixel art, and i haven't done any custom sprites (until now), so this is the first one. Not really happy with the result, but it's a start. (I Really hate to work with the new MSPaint, the old one was better for me :/)

[Image: purSt.png]

I know, i know, the shadowing's of in some places (If not all sprite), and not really happy how hands came out (i do way better irl :c Oh well)
Thanked by:
You can get Paint XP here. Tongue
Yeah, the new one's kinda craptastic.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: blitZee
(10-05-2012, 11:01 AM)Mighty Jazzers Wrote: You can get Paint XP here. Tongue
Yeah, the new one's kinda craptastic.

Oh god, you've saved me sooo much nerves, thank ye good sire and/or lady
^^
Thanked by:
Let's start with a few basics.

At best, post your sprites at 1x resolution and not upscaled (though you may add an upscaled version as well). Do not use a white or black sheet background, but go for a more neutral colour instead that doesn't beln with the sprite, either. Some pale desaturated green, for example.

Concerining the sprite itself, it has anatomy issues mostly (anatomy is hard, yes). The arms look bend strangely (the far arm has no elbow, the close lower arm is bent downwards, but should be more straight, and I think the upper arm should be a tad longer, lower a bit shorter). The close leg is shorter then the right one (even consideing the pose), I guess the thigh is too short. The belt bucket implies that his torso is turned towards the viewer too much. Move it more to the (viewer's) right.
The purpe shade has too much contrast and a not pure black outline may look nicer, too (really dark purple / grey, for example).

Others may be able to help more Tongue
Thanked by: Garamonde, blitZee
(10-05-2012, 11:23 AM)Previous Wrote: Let's start with a few basics.

At best, post your sprites at 1x resolution and not upscaled (though you may add an upscaled version as well). Do not use a white or black sheet background, but go for a more neutral colour instead that doesn't beln with the sprite, either. Some pale desaturated green, for example.

Concerining the sprite itself, it has anatomy issues mostly (anatomy is hard, yes). The arms look bend strangely (the far arm has no elbow, the close lower arm is bent downwards, but should be more straight, and I think the upper arm should be a tad longer, lower a bit shorter). The close leg is shorter then the right one (even consideing the pose), I guess the thigh is too short. The belt bucket implies that his torso is turned towards the viewer too much. Move it more to the (viewer's) right.
The purpe shade has too much contrast and a not pure black outline may look nicer, too (really dark purple / grey, for example).

Others may be able to help more Tongue

Thanks, it was helpful enough for me ^^. I *tried* to fix some of the addressed problems (the resolution was actually 1x, so i scaled it down instead), but forgot/didn't know how/couldn't fix others (the contrast problem couldn't be fixed as i hit my maximum quota of colors). Anyways, i don't know if i should keep on working in 8bit anymore, keep on constantly hitting the max colors :/ Besides, i don't know what sprite i should do now, outta ideas...But thanks for helping me out, i really appreciate it
Thanked by:
First things first, drop "8bit", that term describes a lot and nothing at all. It's heavily misused, really.

To change the contrast, change the colour Wink

Either way, as a beginner, you shouldn't start with too many restrictions. Restrictions make spriting harder and you need a higher understanding of pixels and how they work together.
Thanked by: Garamonde, blitZee
(10-05-2012, 12:53 PM)Previous Wrote: First things first, drop "8bit", that term describes a lot and nothing at all. It's heavily misused, really.

To change the contrast, change the colour Wink

Either way, as a beginner, you shouldn't start with too many restrictions. Restrictions make spriting harder and you need a higher understanding of pixels and how they work together.

Oh, sorry, my friend's the one i should blame for making me overuse the term Tongue Hmm, changing the colors...now i feel stupid haha...And alright, i'll try doing stuff with less restrictions, as constantly hitting 8 colors at max was kinda tiring. Thanks for the tips again
Thanked by:
Just so you know: 8-bit =/= 8 colours.
Thanked by: Garamonde