Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
3D Coat
I see that many members here are Steam users. I myself am not, but my bro is on Steam constantly and is now thinking of getting their new modeling software "3D Coat". Can someone tell me some specific differences between the standard version of the software and the professional edition?

And is a modeling studio that you pay for really so much better than any of the freeware studios available? I'm referring to the list of them I posted in Models Discussion----including Blender, SketchUP, and 3DMAX's older brother "gMAX". If so, can the difference actually make-or-break model quality, or can a skilled modeler do just as well with good basics?
Thanked by:
In the Steam Store page, it lists the differences between the two versions:

3D-Coat Basic version vs. the Professional version Wrote:3D-Coat
  • No commercial usage, but you may earn money from TF2 items.
  • Textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048
  • Limited to 7 layers

3D-Coat Professional
  • The ultimate set of 3D-Coat tools and features.
  • Rights to use 3D-Coat commercially.

I think "the ultimate set" basically means it removes the texture size and layer restrictions are removed, plus maybe a few specific extras. Then again the Professional version is more than $200 extra, so it could be quite a bit.
Personally I would say that if you're not planning to use it commercially, the standard version probably has enough for most uses anyway. I haven't used it though so I wouldn't know for sure.

As for freeware vs shareware, from what I can tell the biggest advantage that shareware has is that it's easier to start using. That is, the learning curve is less steep than freeware. I mean, I've seen Blender being used for truly professional-looking stuff, but using it takes a lot of patience.
Again, I haven't actually used these programs so I'm not completely sure about this. But from my knowledge the biggest difference between the two types is that freeware isn't as easy to use in certain areas as software that you pay for.

Don't base your decision of this post though: this is just what I know that might help.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Steam gives us so little to judge by, and as a rule I don't make assumptions based on a price. Been stung too many times. But you have a point about the learning curve. I'm a beginner who doesn't mind difficulty, but my bro is at square 0.
Thanked by:
Well, you can have a 30-day trial of 3D-Coat to try it out, which I think this lets you use the professional version unrestricted. When it's up you can continue to use it but it will have the restrictions that the standard version lists, and you can't export.

I'd probably give it a go like that if I were you, just so you can see if it's the kind of program you want at all. And if I'm right, it will also give you a good idea of the differences between the two versions.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Eu Tyto Alba
I didn't know it had a 30 day trial. Yes that will really help. Thanks for pointing that out. Big Grin

Don't I feel silly. Tongue
Thanked by: puggsoy