Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Food Fighters
Hey everyone!
I am making a 2D fighting game that features items of food as the characters.
I have given them a medieval theme and they will be different "classes"(Knight, Jester, Bard, King, etc.)
Here are 4 of the characters I have created so far:
[Image: lineupi.png]
I don't claim to be a professional, just as someone looking for constructive criticism so I can improve these so that they can be as good as they can be before moving on with the game.
If you like gaming and nerd humor, check me out on YouTube! [/shamelessadvertising] 

[Image: lilnatiswaveha7.gif]REF - 2[Image: lilnatiswaveha7.gif]

I like the idea you have going here lol. But I'm not sure about that dithering on burger knight (?)'s hat. It's jaggy near the middle.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Natis
All of your colors need to be brightened, I think. That's a rather bland tomato.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
you should start by fixing up the line art, the hot dog especially looks pretty sloppy
Thanked by: Garamonde, Natis
(10-03-2012, 04:18 PM)Mighty Jazzers Wrote: I like the idea you have going here lol. But I'm not sure about that dithering on burger knight (?)'s hat. It's jaggy near the middle.
I see what you are saying.
[Image: hamburgershadingdiffere.png]
Is this any better? I tried the one of them without the dithering. What do you think? It suppose to be a metal helmet, so I was just trying to figure out the proper shading to get that across.

(10-03-2012, 05:42 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: All of your colors need to be brightened, I think. That's a rather bland tomato.
Does that mean brighten the contrast? On the bright side, at least you could tell it was a Tomato, huh? And from someone of your renown, that's good! (Even though I've only posted 3 times, I used to post back on Pixeltendo, and lurked every now and then. >_<)
Anywho, I'm not an expert on colors, but I tried brightening the shade on the tomato.
[Image: tomatocolors1.png]

(10-03-2012, 06:06 PM)Key Wrote: you should start by fixing up the line art, the hot dog especially looks pretty sloppy
Yikes! That's not good!
[Image: hotdogcomparison.png]
Is this better? Or at least a step forward? That probably mean I need to work on his left arm after taking a second glance...
If you like gaming and nerd humor, check me out on YouTube! [/shamelessadvertising] 

Thanked by: Zadaben
The shading on the third one definitely looks better. You want to avoid dithering for the most part especially for sprites like these since it's mostly only used to add texture and/or create mid-tones in sprites, and because the helmet's made of metal, it would be shiny, rather than textured. Try adding some shininess to it (I would suggest looking up references on how metal helmets are shaded to get an idea), because as it is now it kinda just looks like a big helmet-shaped cooking pan.

As for the tomato I believe Tonberry may have been referring to the saturation, since tomatoes tend to be bright and vivid in color.

For the hotdog I can't really pinpoint what's wrong so I'll leave it to someone with a more experienced eye.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
I personally feel the designs need more cartoon like appearances. I mean look at that tomato, he's headed in the right direction, it's a stylistic choice I guess but I feel they could benefit from it.

Also much more vibrant colours!

EDIT:[Image: D92HG.png]
Here this was literally less than 5 minutes so it's really sloppy. But I feel like this kinda illustrates my point, make them more lively. If you want when I wake up in a few hours I can elaborate more.
(me too, Marth. Me too)

In addition of better shading techniques Marth explained in his post, you need to be aware about the character sizes. It's difficult to use stubby-limbed characters due to lack of range in their attacks. Pay attention to their anatomy and work their movements accordingly.

Also you could research about the food's origin and its place of creation so you can get coherent design inspirations instead of randomly giving food knight attire.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, Zadaben
If there's no Chinese take-out box wielding chopsticks, I consider this a missed opportunity. Tongue
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
(10-04-2012, 11:15 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: If there's no Chinese take-out box wielding chopsticks, I consider this a missed opportunity. Tongue

They should totally be chopstick nunchuks.
Thanked by:
Here's an idea: give the tomato a really big hammer to make up for his stubby arms. Just a suggestion.

Also, I, too, vote for a chinese take-out character with chopsticks.

EDIT: Yeah, Marth and Gors, I was expecting Fighting Foodons too...
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by: Marth, Natis
(10-04-2012, 02:24 AM)м▲я✞H Wrote: I personally feel the designs need more cartoon like appearances. I mean look at that tomato, he's headed in the right direction, it's a stylistic choice I guess but I feel they could benefit from it.

Also much more vibrant colours!

EDIT:[Image: D92HG.png]
Here this was literally less than 5 minutes so it's really sloppy. But I feel like this kinda illustrates my point, make them more lively. If you want when I wake up in a few hours I can elaborate more.
Cartoony is definitely the style I wanted for the game. I imagined it to be colorful and vibrate. I had Adventure Time, or Kirby Superstar in mind! I like what you did to the Tomato, but his eyes do not much up with his design I created for him.
[Image: tomato2.png]
I tried combining mine and yours together, because I like the colors you used, and I give him the smaller eyes. Eyes like that could most definitely work on other character, but not this one.

(10-04-2012, 11:15 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: If there's no Chinese take-out box wielding chopsticks, I consider this a missed opportunity. Tongue
Oddly enough, my girlfriend actually was demanding me to put a Chinese food-related character it the game. When are told her that other people were saying the same thing, she was thrilled. lol So now this must happen. Genki ^_^

(10-04-2012, 09:31 PM)SmithyGCN Wrote: Here's an idea: give the tomato a really big hammer to make up for his stubby arms. Just a suggestion.
I thought that too. The tomato's "occupation", if you will, is a blacksmith. So I was trying to just give him blacksmith tools. I could make the hammer bigger, but not a ginormous over the top hammer. lol But hey, if the style is supposed to be cartoonish, since when have cartoons had to make sense? His little stubby arms could stretch around too, if need be.

Thanked by:
You have some great ideas going here and that tomato is an improvement. But his pose still seems kinda stiff. Maybe try and liven him up more.
(10-10-2012, 06:11 PM)м▲я✞H Wrote: You have some great ideas going here and that tomato is an improvement. But his pose still seems kinda stiff. Maybe try and liven him up more.
Thanks! I'm actually looking in to the XBLA and if I can get the game looking fun and make gameplay fun I'm gonna shoot to get it on there.

Anywho, I haven't had much time with college and other activities being busy lately, but I did start on the next character.

[Image: eggwip.png]

He is an egg and he is a jester. Obviously, major wip... seeing how he only has one leg right now. I can't figure out the right position to put his other leg. This character is meant to be a more bizarre and bouncy character. My idea is that both of his feat should never be touching the ground at the same time. When it comes to attacking he uses juggling balls, rubber chicken, ect. Basicly "joke" items.

Thanked by:
he looks more like a salt shaker than an egg. The sides shouldn't slump down like that. I think the broadest part should be just below his grin.
Thanked by: