Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mmkay! My Humble Sprite-Shack
Wow, haven't been here in a while.

I am always trying to better my spriting skills, but most places I post my sprites to don't really provide me feedback. Hence why I came back: I'll be more likely to get critique here.

[Image: customgameconceptbothhe.png]
Concepts for a male and female protagonist for a side-scroller game.

[Image: cafespritecomp1.png]
GBA FE-styled Meta Knight

[Image: customretrostyle.png]
A pseudo-8-bit style I made.

All comments and critiqye are welcome.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Phaze, Lexou Duck
The brown overalls on mario's sprite make everything sorta blend together. There's a reason why they were made blue in the first place.

That Meta Knight looks sick, btw. Big Grin
Thanked by: Ton, Goemar
(10-01-2012, 12:33 AM)LunchPolice Wrote: The brown overalls on mario's sprite make everything sorta blend together.

i believe that was the point. besides the color restriction of them being based off NES's restrictions.
Thanked by:
These are really good, but try to watch out for readability on the sprites. The Metaknight looks great because the bright colours and his big body make him readable. Don't be afraid to make sacrifices! :]
Thanked by:
So, I'm gonna try starting a project for myself.

Basically, I'm going to try and sprite 100 of my favorite characters from assorted video games.

So, here's a lineart WIP for the first character:
[Image: 100charchallengedisplay.png]
Thanked by: Virt, Phaze
Nice! Maybe the foot that's facing the screen could be wider. You managed to capture Waluigi's bowleggedness nicely. A lot of peole who sprite him, make him stand straight!

Thanked by:
(10-30-2012, 06:40 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Nice! Maybe the foot that's facing the screen could be wider. You managed to capture Waluigi's bowleggedness nicely. A lot of peole who sprite him, make him stand straight!
Will definitely see what I can do with the foot. Do his proportions look correct?

Also, a little random thing I made in fifteen minutes or so:
[Image: randomdoodlecrabscorpio.png]
I didn't have anything to do online, but I didn't feel like going to bed, so I was just randomly drawing lines in MSPaint. I ended up making the thing on the left and felt like making something out of it. So I did.
Thanked by:
Thread revival! ...I suppose...

So, I've been getting back into spriting as of recent, so here's a bunch of stuff I've made since I last posted here, in no particular order.

in the second image, the girl on the right and guy underneath dont carry the no-outline style very well imo
either try and use aa to smoothen things out or use selout it doesn't look too good at the moment

for the ike, maybe try and find a way to show a little more eyebrow ? looks great though

in the NES remasters, the mario looks pretty bland and doesn't add much to the original in terms of posing and design
samus' pose doesn't make much sense either, specifically in the legs

that greaser kid has something really weird going on the his right/our left side of his face, like you tried to show the sideburns and a little of the ear but it doesn't work
a clear outline'll look much better

and the before-last image, his look direction makes no sense like a chameleon kinda

all in all this is good stuff though keep it up
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
That NES Mario needs to be sheet'd (that's a term now) as it's really freakin' awesome.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
(06-03-2014, 12:01 PM)Lexou Duck Wrote: in the second image, the girl on the right and guy underneath dont carry the no-outline style very well imo
either try and use aa to smoothen things out or use selout it doesn't look too good at the moment

for the ike, maybe try and find a way to show a little more eyebrow ? looks great though

in the NES remasters, the mario looks pretty bland and doesn't add much to the original in terms of posing and design
samus' pose doesn't make much sense either, specifically in the legs

that greaser kid has something really weird going on the his right/our left side of his face, like you tried to show the sideburns and a little of the ear but it doesn't work
a clear outline'll look much better

and the before-last image, his look direction makes no sense like a chameleon kinda

all in all this is good stuff though keep it up
I kinda like the no-outline style, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. I'll experiment with selout and see if I can come up with something.

The NES sprites were more a product of boredom than a serious attempt, so I don't foresee myself doing a lot with them. That being said, I do admit that Samus' sprite is very wonky-looking.

The second-to-last image is, if I remember correctly, the oldest thing on that list; as a result, I've actually already started fixing up some problems I've perceived.

Thank you very much. I'd like to get to the point that I can help out around here more, something I've wanted to do since the old messageboard.

(06-03-2014, 09:20 PM)Goemar Wrote: That NES Mario needs to be sheet'd (that's a term now) as it's really freakin' awesome.

Eh, maybe. I don't make a whole lot of sheets normally. Regardless, thank you.
Thanked by: Lexou Duck, recme
I hope you do more o the Kirby and Zelda NES characters; I'd love to insert them into the actual roms.
Thanked by:
(06-04-2014, 06:39 AM)Midi Wrote: I hope you do more o the Kirby and Zelda NES characters; I'd love to insert them into the actual roms.

Like I said with the revamped Mario, there's a possibility that may happen.

And speaking of Mario...
[Image: 8KN9K6u.png]
Better? Worse? About equal?
Thanked by:
(06-04-2014, 02:52 PM)MarioKirby Wrote: And speaking of Mario...

what i meant about the design is that whereas the original had somewhat exaggerated choices in terms of proportions, yours tries to equalise it more (apart from the head that stays big but that's almost always the case in pixelart)
and where in some cases going for realism (im using this word in a very vast sense, bear with me) is way cool, on NES restrictions i cant really see much good coming from it, most of the time

i'd suggest you try and and play more with an imbalance of body parts, it makes for generally better and more memorable designs, specifically in a cartoonish universe such as mario's
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by:
(06-04-2014, 02:52 PM)MarioKirby Wrote: And speaking of Mario...

Lookin' tight! Really, I think you've captured the perfect revamp of the original Mario. You pulled off the original palette well and it's a very readable sprite. But one minor gripe, would it be possible to add a bit more detail to the M on Mario's hat? Like, just a tiny little brown bit surrounded by beige. Doesn't have to be readable M. And going with what Lexou Duck said, a nice bumpty bit to the front of Mario's hat would be nice. Mario's hat usually doesn't have a vertical front edge like that, it leans over the visor a bit.
Thanked by: