Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New Challenger
I kept telling myself "No, I'm not gonna do this... I'm not gonna do this... not gonna do it! Nope! Nuh-uh!".

What do you know, I am in fact doing this. '_;

Anyway, unless your name is cuckoos or Ridge you've probably never heard of me. I'm Phaze and I am a coder slacker. As is expected, I'm rather fond of those "video game" things and occasionally spend extended amounts of time interacting with them. I occasionally think that it sucks that [insert game here] lacks [insert feature here] and wish someone would implement [insert feature here] somehow or just recreate [insert game here] in such a fashion that [insert feature here] can be a thing.

I've been trying to look into being that someone, for certain cases. However I lack the experience to do so and not fail horribly right now. I have experience with a Comp. Sci course but I have done practically 0 gamedev.
At the very least I'm trying to create my first engine of sorts for a friend, basically an online Mario TCG game in Java (I know, considering making a C++ client in the future). I'm not posting a topic for it in the forum yet because only the barest of engine essentials is done. You can just barely conduct a very buggy battle in singleplayer-only textmode! I'll probably post when it's roughly around private beta status and thus actually presentable. Maybe telling even more people about it will help me actually get off my ass to work on it Big Grin

As it stands though, I decided to join tSR after a couple of friends (or acquaintances? vOv) linked this place and I kinda regret not doing it sooner; stuff here is awesome. 'nuff said.
Thanked by:
Welcome to the Resource Community, Phaze!

The best way to learn game coding is to do it Tongue
Thanked by: Garamonde
(09-26-2012, 08:34 AM)Previous Wrote: The best way to learn game coding is to do it Tongue

Indeed, this is why I'm trying to make myself do it, planning to step up complexity as I go through projects. Hopefully in the future I can post fun stuff on tSR Big Grin
Thanked by:
Welcome to the Resource, Phaze!

Yeah making a game (or in my experience so far, just programming) is best learnt just by trying it step by step, and improving your experience bit by bit. Failing, debugging, and trying again is the only way to really know coding inside-out. But don't expect to memorize everything of the language, I mean I've been using AS3 for quite a while and I still use the reference to look up functions I've used multiple times before.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here, just follow the rules and if you need help with anything don't hesitate to ask Smile
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(09-26-2012, 09:55 AM)puggsoy Wrote: Yeah making a game (or in my experience so far, just programming) is best learnt just by trying it step by step, and improving your experience bit by bit. Failing, debugging, and trying again is the only way to really know coding inside-out. But don't expect to memorize everything of the language, I mean I've been using AS3 for quite a while and I still use the reference to look up functions I've used multiple times before.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here, just follow the rules and if you need help with anything don't hesitate to ask Smile
I understand on that front, can't make a working program without lots of cursing and a strong desire to inflict harm on the computer Tongue

To be honest if someone told me they can remember entire standard library APIs for a language (or even multiple languages) I'd probably call them a liar. One thing the professors taught us is that trying to memorize all that is pointless when you can simply look it up if you don't remember the order of arguments or what-have-you. Heck sometimes you can even find small snippets of code you can modify to fit your purpose, which is a neat time saver Cute

Thanks!
Thanked by: puggsoy
Greetings, blue yoshi with a scythe.
Thanked by: