Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Good for health, bad for education
Here's some arcade-style poses of Kaneda from Akira! I wasn't making them with any specific limitations in mind, but I did try to restrain the amounts of colors I used.
Latest:
[Image: 2012-09-22_1630.png]
--
[Image: kannnnneeeeeddddddaaaaa.png]
Now that I'm transitioning to more professional work, I want to ditch the biggest flaw my style has had in the past: An overabundance of colors hurts the harmony of the scenes I create, and is obviously less efficient in general - the last few things I've sprited have been ridiculous.

Kaneda clocks in at 15 colors. His back has an extra shade for the pill, though.

[Image: 2014-11-19_1823.png]
I think it's a bit low on contrast for the pants and jacket. His shoes look like they're of different height and the way his left arm comes out of the jacket looks weird, I think the jacket bound should lower more on the left (viewer) side.
Thanked by: StarSock64, Garamonde
merge the blue with the purple of the boots and you'd kill that extra color.
can i use your palette
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by:
The palette is indeed beautiful. Though Previous is right, the jacket could use some contrast. Also, the head (without a body) is just a tiny bit unclear, could use some cleanup of a pixel or two.

btw hi idk if u remember me ok byeeee
The only think I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is that his eyes seem a bit feminine to me, probably because there's that brown pixel above his right (our left) eyelash that makes me think they're longer than they are.

Other than that, it looks really nice.
Thanked by: Guy
Alright, thanks guys. I tried to incorporate all of your crits. I fixed the boots, added contrast, and fixed up Tetsuo's head. Previous, could you elaborate on what you mean with the left arm? Which sprite were you referring to?
[Image: kaneda1.png]
@Keiang
Yeah, I could see how they could be seen as lashes, but it was meant to be part of his brow-
[Image: kanedaeye.png]
Should I still get rid of it?

also sup mozzy

(09-02-2012, 10:22 PM)total burning heart kojjiro Wrote: can i use your palette
I'd feel bad if you didn't
~~~

I'd try it and see how it looks, especially because I don't think Tetsuo's brow flares up that much.
[Image: 435391-kaneda_large.jpg]
Thanked by:
idk how you'd do that personally but his 3/4 view head's left eye (our right) is 'banding' together with the face outline, and it looks weird.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
Oh right, wasn't really specific there.

It's about the second one.

[Image: NFC1N.png]

The upper arm comes at an angle and the jacket stops at the elbow. The way you formed the holes looks like the jacket's arm part would have to go straight up rather than at the angle it has, at least to me.
Thanked by: Pik
Oh, I forgot to post my edit here.

Something I envy you for is your colour choice, Pik!
However, for a game you'll have to drop a few more colours and details to save time.

[Image: hheFb.png]
I tried to get a better likeness after a quick Google Image search. Anyway, I hope some of my choices are insightful.

I'm looking forward to Tetsuo being completed! Cute
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by: Pik, BynineB
c2b always delivers!!

I like those changes. I referenced your edits and came up with this:
[Image: 2012-09-22_1630.png]
Instead of simplifying the color count, I tried to simplify the shading style- It should have a similar effect in terms of time efficiency.

Thanked by: Virt, Baegal