Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
List of Known File Formats
I didn't see anything like this in this section at all, so I thought I could start it.

This list here will contain all the known sound file extensions, separated by videogame consoles, and its corresponding converters.

Since I have no knowledge about sound ripping, I'll need help from seasoned rippers. This way, we'll have a quick, accessible list and make ripping progress faster. Post the file extensions, which console uses it and its converter.

Known File Formats
(recommended converter in parenthesis)

Nintendo DS
Computer
Nintendo 64
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo Wii
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Good idea, I'm sure this thread will save time and trouble for lots of people.

.sad, NDS, VGSC
.swav, NDS, VGSC
.ogg, PC/Computer, VGSC

I'm saying VGSC because I made it, and thus use it, but there's probably some others out there. Especially for .ogg, it's like super common. However VGSC works as fine as anything so there's no reason not to use it.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Garamonde
I don't know what kinds of formats this supports specifically (you could list it as "various" formats or something) but this tool lets you rip sounds from many Nintendo 64 games. I haven't tried it yet myself but I think it's most likely invaluable and deserves to be posted somewhere. Someone else used it and said it works well.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of at the moment is the .DSP format, mainly used by Nintendo GameCube games AFAIK, and can be easily opened and converted with Audacity (I believe there are even batch conversion options if you know how to use them).
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
vgmstream says it supports DSP files from GC games (and other GC/Wii formats too), so VGSC should be able to convert them. If you could give me a link to one I can test it (or you can test yourself).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Oh okay nevermind then. Better put that on the list (unless it's okay if I do it, Gors).
Thanked by: puggsoy
thanks for the tool "Crappy Green Gors" =)
It helped me a lot converting those .brstm sounds I got from one piece unlimited cruise 2
Thanked by:
I made the program although actually proper credit should go to hcs since he made the actual conversion code.

Anyway better add BRSTM to the list too then. Is that from Wii?
Thanked by:
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/brstm

BrawlBox can also open .BRSTMs but VGSC is most likely the better choice.
oh yeah it does open brstm but can't convert more than one file at once
Yeah I guess it's really only good as a last resort.
BTW I went ahead and added these myself since Gors apparently doesn't check this thread anymore. Tongue
.stm from GameCube games is compatible with VGSC as well, tested it with Paper Mario TYOD. vgmstream lists it as ".stm/.dsp" so I'm guessing they use the same encoding and vary only in extension (I'm not sure of this though).
In any case you can add it to the list, if anybody knows of Wii games with .stm files they're probably the same and can be added to the list too.
Thanked by: Garamonde
I know this thread is quite ahh ... dead ... but if I could contribute a format/converter?

Xbox Live Arcade/XNA (Xbox 360 and PC) - *.XWB (and *.XSB, but this is the "index" file and no actual sound data is stored here) - UnXWB
**Though mostly inactive on the forums, you can shoot me a PM and I'll try to respond as soon as I can. PM notices get emailed to me!

You can also catch me on Discord: John2k4#5788
.AST used in Gamecube games, convertable with VGSC.
.AAX, .ADX CRI based formats, convertable with VGSC.
Sound on a Genesis is stored in .bin files. The actual format depends on the sound driver being used, but the one Sonic hackers such as myself most commonly use is S1's since it's easiest to work with.

I'd tell of a converter but sadly I don't know of any. I'll look around and see if I can dig up anything useful. :V

On a side note, some of the DAC I use is in .snd format. So that can also be used on a Genesis, but only for DAC.
(DAC is drums, cymbals, and the like, for those who don't know.)

I really hope this was useful in some way :V
[Image: sig.gif]

I'm a Sonic hacker. 'Nuff said.

WHAT I DO:

Custom Sprite Gallery (restarted on 7/6/2014)
Thanked by: