Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Kopaka's Spriting Adventure!
Hello! I am currently making a game for a company my friends and I created this year. I created a thread over HERE

I'm making this one here to post the current sprite sheet for the Hero characters as well as any enemies I flesh out (current demo enemies are very simple). I want to post my progress because I am a strong believer of posting my work and receiving all the feedback I can get from saavy pixel artists such as yourselves to become a better artist.

Below is the sprite sheet for the hero (name pending!)
[Image: nPG88.png]

The order of the sprite sheet is a little messy, but the order from top to bottom are:

- Victory
- Hurt
- Mid-Air Grappling
- Ground Grappling
- Air Slash
- Jump
- Idle
- Run
- Ground Attack: Slash 1
- Ground Attack: Slash 2

Some of the choreography I need to reconsider (such as the aerial attacks and running). But I'd really like to hear your thoughts about it. If you want to see him in action you can do so here

It's been a while since I was last on the spriting scene (back when I was in high school in Year 9, 2005) but I'll leave it with this

C + C? Smile
Thanked by: Tom Turkey
have you ever considered animating those frames to see if the animations are smooth?

i can already tell most of the frames are redundant, and the motion blur doesnt work. not to mention the character seems to shift the body of his legs(among other bodyparts) on each frame.

the whole things is a massive clusterfuck of poorly executed shading -almost everything suffers from pillowshading- and the character desings feels more like an edit of X/Zero from the snes.
Thanked by: Gaia, Marth, Tom Turkey
(08-09-2012, 02:33 AM)Meta Wrote: have you ever considered animating those frames to see if the animations are smooth?

i can already tell most of the frames are redundant, and the motion blur doesnt work. not to mention the character seems to shift the body of his legs(among other bodyparts) on each frame.

the whole things is a massive clusterfuck of poorly executed shading -almost everything suffers from pillowshading- and the character desings feels more like an edit of X/Zero from the snes.

Hey Meta, I've seen these sprites in motion and they do animate smoothly (You can see them play out in the current web demo of the game, it is linked at the end of the opening post). I mentioned in my opening post that some of the choreography wasn't the best and I will be redoing some of it. Is there any tips you can provide in regards to creating good motion blur and eliminating pillow shading?
By your OP, can i assume that these sprites were made in 2005? To be honest, they look like it.
You seem to have skill, but lack some other important basic fundimentals.

I'm no expert either, mind you, but I think that these may help. Give this thread a look,
and experiment.

Your character would benefit from a complete overhaul. Right now, he looks like an eyeballed trace of a megaman sprite, which you yourself have said was your original
influence. I'd suggest you try out some new design ideas that don't involve the megaman style all together. I'm not sure why, but It seems that most spriters start with
megaman influences, and have difficulty breaking away. Your game could be so much cooler if your main character was your own, and not what seems to the naked eye
to be a recolor.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: Kopaka, Tom Turkey
there's not a single thing in that section that will help you besides maybe readability; i'd suggest looking around the internet for some better pixelart tutorials.
i can already tell what you're looking for is a pixelart tutorial on shading, though to be honest i'd simply suggest studying some of the better works on http;//pixeljoint.com

metaru's post is better when it ocme sto animation
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
post animated gifs if you're going to show animations. otherwise we have no way to check if these animations are smooth or not -disregard of actually having to download your game for such thing-
also, motion blur 101.
[Image: Z8k4k.gif]
oh, heh, metaru i was looking for that but i couldn't find it!
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Are these Megaman edits? They look like MMX edits.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Gaia, Marth, Tom Turkey
They're not MMX edits, however the style I've always sprited in has been very influenced by it, so I can understand the gut reaction when people see this as an edit. Thanks to all the feedback thus far though, I appreciate it. I will be re-evaluating the hero design within the next few days and will be counting on your feedback when I come up with something
The overall design of the character is bland, crowded and try hard. Aside from all the aforementioned problems, this is really throwing me off. Look at the simplicity of the style in Meta's avatar, and tutorial. It's original, expressive and memorable. Your character on the other hand isn't. EDIT: Oh and it's EASY to read.
its the legs. they're basically X's boots and they instantly make your character look like an edit, disregard if its "inspired" or not.
Hello!

I took the day out yesterday to consider the feedback everyone's given me thus far, and have tried to come up with a new design for the Hero of Grapple Knight. I've gotten a general design down without use of reference of any style in particular and am currently up to choosing the colour palette and shading. This is what I have so far:

[Image: GbQRq.png]

At least, I think I'm not blatantly copying anything in particular, this general style came to me as I drew it, but please let me know otherwise.

What do you guys think of the design/silhouette versus the old design?

Anything you can't read well?

Any problems you guys can already see in terms of animating this?

What colour palette suggestions you guys might have?

Look forward to hearing your constructive criticisms!

EDIT: I cleaned up some of the pixels, gave him proper sideburns/ear and face, did some general shifting to keep proportions, and shifted the angle the axe sits at.

[Image: hJBeI.png]

C+C?
Thanked by: Kopaka, Nindo, Tom Turkey
Hey Keiang, the colours on the sprite aren't final (and by final I mean, nothing like that at all, I'm not going to have 20 different colours planned lol) they're just solid blocks of colour so I can see the shapes they take, so if the colour choices seem really odd, I apologise Tongue

I'll definitely have a look at his proportions when I get the chance, thanks for the feedback! I don't think I'll need to take it with salt, or at least that much, haha
you have two many colors planned, i can already tell that much. scale it back a bit
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.