Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Cam's Pixel Art
...Uh, I've always had an interest in spriting. I've gotten better over time, but it still appears I limit myself to editing Nintendo's official graphics. Albeit with much worse shading, because I really suck at shading for some reason even though there's a million extremely simple tutorials out there. But anyways. I thought I'd show you guys a very recent character I sprited.

This is a character I made named Alice. She is a Battle Android. I'm a big fan of Mine Yoshizaki's art style, and this is pretty evident with this character.

[Image: sprite0.png]
I'm really happy with how she came out. The next step, is of course, shading her. This is where I'm at a loss. But anyways, I just want to know what you guys think of this pixel art and how I should approach the shading.
Thanked by:
She's pretty cute! As far as shading goes, you need to think about where your light source is coming from and how shadow would be cast on a object. For example, the highlights on her chest suggest light is coming from the upper left, so you should shade it something like this:
[Image: aliceq.png]
Keep in mind that different materials need to be shaded differently so they look convincing. Glass is shiny, metal is reflective etc. I also changed her legs a little, they looked kinda funky. Granted I'm no anatomy expert (or on anything, really) and I probably made them worse, so hopefully someone who knows better than I do can help.

And avoid pure black outlines!
[Image: ee001b0522d4fd2f5ee2844fa8a32efe82d30bad.png]
Thanked by: ~CaMtEnDo~
the proportion is all wacky, but more important, avoid making completely symmetrical poses. it makes the piece very stiff and not dynamic.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
not to mention it really turns your character into a bunch of shapes glued together, rather than a display of proper desing and development.

the way everythign is arranged looks completely unnatural, anatomically wise. it gets quite hard to read the pose as it is now.
Thanked by: Gors, Garamonde
Can you elaborate on the proportions? Her arms are a bit too big or wide, I think that's what you mean. I'm an idiot when it comes to these things. She's supposed to have her hands clasped behind her back, hovering, with a welcoming look to her. I don't know what changes I can make that will make her less symmetrical, without making her look weird. Possibly her hair I assume?
Thanked by:
I'm sure you understand what we mean by symmetry, but look at this.

[Image: symetry.gif]

It doesn't seem that you've made one woman, you've made half a woman and mirrored her next to herself. I understand
the look she is supposed to have, but humans aren't symmetrical, and look strange when presented in such a fashion.
I'd suggest trying to vary these lines so her she doesn't seem to be just a bunch of hourglasses stacked on top of
one another.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by:
[Image: alicenewpose.png]
I'm attempting a new pose. Her hair and left arm have been adjusted, as well as her choker.
Thanked by:
It'll be harder to make this into a new pose than it would be to practice on a new sprite entirely.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: Garamonde, Zadaben, Iceman404
i suggest you to start over, as tonberry said. This pose is really stiff, and a new body will better than tweaking some of the limbs.

Limbs aren't made of half-circles either, and the breasts look really out of place. Not to say that the 'hands on back' pose is really amateur-looking, as this avoids you from doing the hands. (I'm not saying that you should never put hands behind you when drawing/spriting, I'm just saying that in this case, it doesn't work).

i'll try making an edit soon to exemplify.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde