Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Custom Pokémon
Burger 
hi this is my first thread and i am very excited i am looking for custom pokemon sprites and some ideas for spriting

here is my first sprite
ROTOM + REUNICLUS =
[Image: tC2pN.gif]

NEW SPRITE
[Image: RR36K.png]

OLD SPRITE
[Image: Y7XHv.png]
OLDER SPRITE
[Image: vtuh3.png]

thank you, bye!
Thanked by:
Some of the shading is very messy. There are lots of jaggies everywhere. Also, the lightsource should remain constant. When he's rolling, the shadow should always be on the right side of him and the highlight should be on the upper left, as in the first sprite.
Thanked by: Baegal, Phantom Killah
Nice MS paint circles and inconsistent light sources.

Now get rid of those two things and make it completely from scratch.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
I'd suggest you to read through this. It contains a lot of information on spriting terms and has some good examples on basics. Three posts down there are more good examples.
Learning how to sprite properly is hard work, but it's worth it.

I'd also suggest to make it a tad smaller and to take care of making it an actual circle rather than an oval.
Thanked by: Garamonde
sorry ill get to that now

(06-26-2012, 12:02 PM)missingno. Wrote: sorry ill get to that now

done!
Thanked by:
The "New Sprite" in the first post is questionably worse than the first one. The colors aren't new or exciting, and the lineart is a lot worse. Also, the lightsource is still inconsistent. Finally, I fail to see how something like that would rotate smoothly, seeing as how it's not a perfect sphere.
Thanked by: Phantom Killah
(06-26-2012, 12:25 PM)Trollerskates Wrote: The "New Sprite" in the first post is questionably worse than the first one. The colors aren't new or exciting, and the lineart is a lot worse. Also, the lightsource is still inconsistent. Finally, I fail to see how something like that would rotate smoothly, seeing as how it's not a perfect sphere.

its voltorb it would'nt LOL

OKAY! name the problems and i will TRY and fix them
Thanked by:
(06-26-2012, 12:26 PM)missingno. Wrote: OKAY! name the problems and i will TRY and fix them

He just did.
Maybe you need an edit to help steer you in the right direction.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Candel
(06-26-2012, 12:54 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote:
(06-26-2012, 12:26 PM)missingno. Wrote: OKAY! name the problems and i will TRY and fix them

He just did.
Maybe you need an edit to help steer you in the right direction.

who just did??
Thanked by: Candel
The larger your circle, the harder to make it look like an actual one. Try making smaller circles first. Do not make it oval. Use the same number of pixels for the lines at the top, bottom, left and right and use the same curves between them. It's a circle so it is supposed to be absolutely symmetrical.

There's no point in your rotations the way you made them. Rotations of this kind can be done by code, no point to add them to your sheet. If you sprite rotations, be sure to change each one's shading so the lightsource stays consistent. If one would animate your sprite, it's be all jumpy and weird.
Thanked by: Garamonde
currently looks like
[Image: 2aFza.gif]

should look like
[Image: tuifU.gif]

when a ball rolls, the light source is constant, meaning it stays in one spot whereas the ball moves. the ball is rolling, but the shading should stay the same.
i laughed at that voltorb

i'll just say this: even if you go down the cheap-ass route and make a Voltorb who is nothing more than a ball with a face painted on it, you need to have decent knowledge in pixelart. Thought you could avoid the hard job by choosing a simple character, eh?

just listen to what everyone said here; they're all correct, valid and you should take more time reading their posts than skimming through them and going 'WHAT NOW?'.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
shading is flat and ignores form of the character,
character is a poor choice for learning as even if you perfect this you will still need to learn more for characters with anatomy,
colour choice is poor, lack of contrast and colour curve doesn't help that flat feel.

my advice, try and make a mewtwo.
It may be a massive jump but in doing so you will be able to learn;
shading of complex forms, use of multiple colour curves (one for the pink other for the purple), anatomy, posing, and in the faces case, pixel limitations and how to overcome them.
come to think of it any humanoid pokemon should work (I only say pokemon to keep it relevant to the topics title)

in any case, welcome to the community, look at the stickied topics, the spriters dictionary in particular may be for use to you.
looking forwards to seeing you progress.
Thanked by: Shade, Garamonde, Zadaben
(06-26-2012, 03:56 PM)Bombshell93 Wrote: shading is flat and ignores form of the character,
character is a poor choice for learning as even if you perfect this you will still need to learn more for characters with anatomy,
colour choice is poor, lack of contrast and colour curve doesn't help that flat feel.

my advice, try and make a mewtwo.
It may be a massive jump but in doing so you will be able to learn;
shading of complex forms, use of multiple colour curves (one for the pink other for the purple), anatomy, posing, and in the faces case, pixel limitations and how to overcome them.
come to think of it any humanoid pokemon should work (I only say pokemon to keep it relevant to the topics title)

in any case, welcome to the community, look at the stickied topics, the spriters dictionary in particular may be for use to you.
looking forwards to seeing you progress.

ok will do
Thanked by:
(06-26-2012, 01:40 PM)Gors Wrote: i laughed at that voltorb

i'll just say this: even if you go down the cheap-ass route and make a Voltorb who is nothing more than a ball with a face painted on it, you need to have decent knowledge in pixelart. Thought you could avoid the hard job by choosing a simple character, eh?

just listen to what everyone said here; they're all correct, valid and you should take more time reading their posts than skimming through them and going 'WHAT NOW?'.

well i had to go "simple" because its my first ever custom

(06-29-2012, 11:50 AM)missingno. Wrote:
(06-26-2012, 01:40 PM)Gors Wrote: i laughed at that voltorb

well i had to go "simple" because its my first ever custom
any way voltorb is one of my favourite pokemon if he heard you say that i think he would be very upset.
Thanked by: