Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
vSNES and Screen rips (different palette)
Normally it doesn't happen, but in case of Brutal: Paws of Fury (SNES), the screenshots from zsnes 1.5 and the stuff from vSNES have different colours.

Why is that so?
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde
Yes, I also noticed this when I was ripping Toxic Seahorse from Mega Man X3. I'd like to know this too.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Noticed some Megadrive/Genesis games do this also. Splatterhouse 3 in-game sprites (aka screenshot captured) are very slightly different from when the sprite data is viewed. No idea why at all but yeah, it's annoying.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
I know on the Mega Drive/Genesis there are shadow and highlight modes that have different colours (it doesn't help that in terms of emulators, each one has a different palette in general with Gens/GS being most likely the correct one [emulators use 224, 238 or 255 as white]).

I don't know about SNES but there could be something similar going on. Either that or a lighting effect like the GBA (Donkey Kong 3 on Game & Watch Gallery Advance is an example). Try checking on bsnes to see if the colours match with vsnes since they say that is a more accurate SNES emulator if you can run it. Then again I'm not sure myself.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Goemar
Thanks for the hint, but bsnes v088 binary (Windows 32-bit) [compatibility profile] requires sfc files. But my roms are only smc:
http://byuu.org/bsnes/

I remember that vSNES got the colours for a mode 7 object (Dynablade) wrong, but I'm not sure if that applies to normal sprites:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...?tid=19128
Thanked by:
I've ran bsnes and I'm sure it played SMC files just fine...
Thanked by:
How you're doing it?

Load - Super Famicom - Load Cartridge - can't find the smc files and at the bottom of Load Cartridge stands "Files of type: .sfc"
Thanked by:
Just rename if to .sfc and it should work. If not, check the purify.exe, that one should remove copier headers and change extensions to .sfc.
The developer of bsnes is a bit weird about file formats.
Man, this guy has problems. Why changing a winning team? It's not like he can do anything about the popularity of the .smc extension =/

Anyway:
[Image: isYeOCA1qIdn9.png]

Guess what? THREE different palettes, hahaha.

That's it, I'm going with the vSNES palette. Also nearly done with the stages, I just have to recolour one animation and get the other lightnings.
Haha gosh that's just weird. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? You read your color bits and shift them to get your 8bit color value and ta-da.

Makes me wonder if there really are screen filters of some sorts.

Being picky on file extensions is kinda crazy anyways if you ask me. I can name a file anything I want and if I go with BIN or DAT it's fine and alright and correct. Of course it is confusing, but let's be honest, when SMC is popular, just add that one filter to the list and stop bothering.
That's my view on things.
Thanked by: Goemar, Garamonde
Well if there's 3 different palettes I guess just stick to the one you find easier to use.
So if your mostly using ZSNES, simply recolour the stuff you pull from vSNES in Photoshop or something.

Yeah it's not "correct" but I really can't imagine anyone being THAT picky when the difference is so minor.

That up set a SNES up, stare really closely at your screen, and then get made when you realise it probably looks slightly different on every single TV anyway...
Thanked by: