Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
KillingTime (PC) sprites
KillingTime is an old FPS game released in 1996 on the PC. The player is an Ex-Egyptology Student and you survive through lots of places in the game. All weapons you can have: Crowbar, Pistol, Shotgun, Thompson, Molotov, Flamethrower and Cross. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Time_(video_game)

Here is weapon sprite sheet I made (Hoping it's good... first time I make a sprite sheet): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30737344/TSRSPRI...nsheet.png

And here is the HUD sprite sheet over here: (Removed, wasn't really good anyway)

Here a gameplay video of the game:

Sometimes in the video, the ghost cutscenes you see are .avi videos inside the game. But that game also use smooth sprites frames animating and the whole data of the game is a .rez file. But that file isn't a Monolith games data file format and there's no tools that I can find to rip all the game sprites.

With a tool for wad editing (Doom), called XWE, I could open the data and see few sprites like 9 out of 10 keys sprites and maybe the right palette color of the game (there was 4).

How I got to rip the weapons sprites was that I go in-game near a wall but really facing a wall really near, the pixels colors was really big and in MS-Paint was easy to remove the stuffs around the weapon sprite Smile

If you think I could do better with my sprite sheet, just tell me, I'll try my possible to fix it. I uploaded my sheets to Dropbox as direct link, I hope it won't do anything bad...
Ripping sprites of FPS games and random game with sprites when I want.
Thanked by:
They're pretty good! Moving to the correct subforum.
I feel like you could save some space by moving your credit tag up, into the space beside Flamethrower's sprites so you could cut out some of the extra space on the bottom, but you don't have to. Smile
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Tristan885
(06-21-2012, 04:18 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: They're pretty good! Moving to the correct subforum.
I feel like you could save some space by moving your credit tag up, into the space beside Flamethrower's sprites so you could cut out some of the extra space on the bottom, but you don't have to. Smile

Oh thanks a lot! Yeah I was thinking the same to save spaces with credit... since I uploaded it from Dropbox, I can simply update the file with the link to it auto-update without having to reupload a new link lol

Edit: Fixed, now saved space in my weapon sprite sheet Smile

Edit2: Here I made some icons for the 2 sprite sheets and the game section icon:

[Image: KillingTimeWeaponsIcon.png]
[Image: KillingTimeSectionicon.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde
There is something wrong with the HUD, the parts are not fitting into the bar. Also, where is the default brown background for the energy things?

Edit: I would also put a space between Killing and Time (section icon).
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
You know, I didn't even notice that about the HUD until now. Maybe the brown part is supposed to go overtop the colored bars rather than them fitting in?
Thanked by:
I think I should remove the HUD from submit, I did bad ripping at that one... when I take screenshot of it (printscreen button) the pixels of colors keys are really weird, but the HUD was fine.. just the keys slots is bad.

(06-22-2012, 04:49 PM)Davy Jones Wrote: Edit: I would also put a space between Killing and Time (section icon).

The game title was like that without space as I seen everywhere.

Now I don't know how much more I could rip of that game... all I could rip is the weapons. As I said, the game data file is a .rez file format but not from Monolith games data since it existed before that. If somebody can find a way with a tool to get all sprites showing in the data, I would be happy. I have the game data file uploaded in my dropbox (20 mb) and with a tool I got called FMV-Extractor, I can get some files as bmp format but when I look them, they are corrupted, file formats are like 2 mb eachs and few are over 139 mb Shocked . I opened one of the 2 mb bmp files in notepad to look the codes (yeah, that's weird). I can find between lines codes, there's more bmp files in it, even exe files, txt files, etc. Tried to change their extension into .zip, .rar, any package format, nothing worked... Or then with XWE, a tool lump editor for Doom wads modding, I can open the data file, it can find 4 palette colors, few sprites but they are like brokens, weird pixels, I can find 9 out of 10 keys sprites, 2 random things that I don't know what it is and few flowers sprites. Whatever, would be so fun if it had a working program somewhere to rip that data file...
Thanked by:
It has a space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Tim...eo_game%29

Tried media extractor, find_and_arc and the other usual pc dumping tools?
(06-23-2012, 07:28 AM)Davy Jones Wrote: It has a space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Tim...eo_game%29

Tried media extractor, find_and_arc and the other usual pc dumping tools?
Ah then I'll go fix that and I never heard of these 3 tools, I will go try them and see if it can extract files..

Edit: Can't find all them 3 or I just didn't understood what you mean... if you have a download link to it working, I would like it.
Thanked by:
Post #1 & #15:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...?tid=13653
Thanked by: Garamonde, Tristan885
(06-23-2012, 10:01 AM)Davy Jones Wrote: Post #1 & #15:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...?tid=13653

Thanks for it!

Sadly all they give of result is like I got from last programs I used... it find only few sounds of the game as wav, but no sprites.

But! with Extractor (simply Extractor as named), it found lots of txt files in the giant bmp files I said before, that's weird to say, maybe the txt files are the textures/sprites ? Tried to open it with any picture displayer, changing file extension, etc... No result that is working :/
Thanked by:
Okie, I've uploaded your weapons, and whenever you're able to update your HUD, I'll upload that too.
Thanked by:
http://i.minus.com/idDEn2vfMIn4.png
- 100 kb smaller
- Edits for transparency errors and resized crowbar
- Better organized
Thanks Davias, you're awesome. Big Grin
Thanked by:
woah, thanks a lot for the help, also I don't think I have more stuffs to upload about this game, but I got another FPS game that wasn't ripped, it was a tricky way I did and worked, I started making sprite sheet of it, will try and make a post about them soon
Thanked by: