Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Momentary
How it started
This was an idea I made after playing Mini craft, that game Notch made for the Lundum Dare competition. I started to draw in my planner at school thinking of ideas what potential Mini craft's sequel, Mini tale, would be like.
However, my plans and expectations were, like always, too high. That was how I started on my own project, Momentary, about a game of one getting total revenge. I asked my friends at my lunch table if they'd help and three of them agreed.

I have a few sprite sheets
My first sprite sheets came from my Flip Notes (my page here) titled "Mini Craft Custom Character Sprites" and they have been improving ever since then.

Short story
One day, you find that no one is left in your village. It gets obliterated by black lightning. Your mission is to find out who is responsible for your instant hardships.
You go around the world of Ocho while overhearing people talking about a mysterious wizard named Clue. He has the power of many sky elements, including black lightning. You fight him to find out he isn't the culprit.
Then, you find a haunted manor with a scientist who has been claimed a mad man and has been using black lightning. Find out he isn't the person who caused your village to disappear. He the assigns you to find a special ore to fuel his rocket.
You go to a city that has its power supply from the ore that the scientist needs, but it is closed. The city's generators are ran by this person who owns a hoard of gangster robots. Upon his defeat, you obtain the ore and go to both Ocho's moon and its star that orbits the planet.
The scientist will give you a list of materials he needs you to get. You only do this because you have nowhere else to look for who is responsible of your village. After the end of the moon and star, you get the eternal grant allowing you to fulfill your greatest desire.
Beat the final boss and happy ending (yay!).

Gameplay
Now, if your questioning on how the heck would so many places work in the overworld, I thought up of a simple solution. In Legend of Zelda 2, you find towns and dungeons to enter. They are one tile, but open up to a whole new lay out. Same with Momentary, except it is always in bird's eye view.

A lot of places like forests and caves may require a certain tool level, beat a boss, or something to be done in order to open it up and proceed. Enemies spawn from these places and villages repel spawning. If possible, this game will have a random world spawn since it does require building.

Conclusion
In the past edits from then to now, I have found a lot of things to fix (not to mention remaking sprites due to "accidents"), but what do you think? I've never heard of a game with a very deep story before (correct me if I'm wrong) and I thought it would be interesting to try to encourage players to go further into the game's story in order to gain more materials and power up further. If you have any further questions about it, I will happily answer them. Or, if there is anything I should add to this thread, please tell me (I feel like I may have missed something).
Thanked by:
Sorry, attachments aren't allowed so I've removed them.
Please use an image hosting site.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
(06-13-2012, 09:28 PM)PillowSledder Wrote: Now, if your questioning on how the heck would so many places work, I thought up of a simple solution. In Legend of Zelda 2, you find towns and dungeons to enter. They are one tile, but open up to a whole new lay out. Same with Momentary, except it is always in bird's eye view.

its called worldmap, overworld, etc. it a mechanic that exists since basically, always.
Thanked by: Cshad, Previous, Zadaben
@ Vipershark
Okay, sorry about that, I'll work on that right away! Something like Photoshop correct? Smile

@Meta
Oh, yeah. Sorry about that. I'm not the technical one actually, but even I shouldn't of made that mistake. Thanks for that. Big Grin I'll change that too.
Thanked by:
(06-14-2012, 01:24 PM)PillowSledder Wrote: @ Vipershark
Okay, sorry about that, I'll work on that right away! Something like Photoshop correct? Smile

He meant an image hosting site like imgur, photobucket, or something similar. Not a image editor.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by:
@ BlueBlur97
Aw, my bad. That was what I meant though. :I
Thanked by:
Okay, I got the the unfinished sprite sheets on Photobucket.
[img][Image: Mikessheetrevised.png][/img]
[img][Image: momentary.png][/img]
[img][Image: backgrounds.png][/img]
For what I have so far, what do you think? I know it needs better organization, but I am still gathering ideas and don't want to make a mess as I like to do multiple things at once. There is a lot of editing I'm doing with Mike's sprite sheet (the guy with black hair and a light blue shirt). The ideas for what weapons we're planning on using is about as diverse as Terraria's was, so I would say his is about 40% done as shown.
Thanked by:
There's so much to talk about all at once so I'll make it briefs.

I rather like the tilesets, the wood texture is really good.
Some of the character's anatomy is a bit wonky and the shading needs a bit of work.
Start the trees over, they looks more like mushrooms at the moment.
The solid black outline is somewhat detrimental to the style, it makes it look a little amateur. (But hey, if it works against the backgrounds)
Smooth out the line work a little bit, the lines are quite jagged on alot of them
The large character sprite is kinda horrible, I'd say scrap it and work on anatomy

Definitely needs better organization.

That's brief, right?

I'll give it another look over and see if anything else pops out.
Thanked by:
@Thumbtacks
Thanks for the review, Big Grin I agree that the character sprites need work, but I tried my best to improve Mini Craft's style, which is this (even though this is an image of a mod);
[img][Image: javaw2012-01-0117-32-20-70.jpg][/img]
However, I am improving the black outlines on the character's sheet so it isn't as confusing as to what is being blocked off from view. I did try to make the trees a little different and I find it okay if they look like mushrooms. As for the wood, the texture I had no problems with, but the corners are kind of odd. The large image is there for whatever reason I don't know, probably practice. I'll scrap it and draw with my Bamboo pad for title screens and cut scenes. Finally, the shading won't be a problem as I plan to enlarge the current images by at least 300% so everything is more noticeable.
Thanked by:
(06-15-2012, 06:26 PM)PillowSledder Wrote: Finally, the shading won't be a problem as I plan to enlarge the current images by at least 300% so everything is more noticeable.

No.

Stop making excuses.

Enlarging it by 300% isn't going to magically make the shading better. You need to redo a lot of these sprites.
Thanked by: ~Axis~
@Hoeloe
Alright, I'll see what I can do then (hope I don't sound whiny right here).
Thanked by:
[img][Image: Mikessheetrevised-1.png][/img]
I fixed a lot of edges aside from the black outline. The shading is better and a bit more noticeable. I fixed the spacing in between sprite as well as making everything evened out (improper leg lengths as an example). Also, the sprites using a bow have been remade, which I didn't fix before. So how does it look now? I have yet to add some more content, but the animation should run smoothly (it did even before they were colored).
Thanked by:
I actually haven't noticed any difference. Here's a tip for you. focus on one sprite first before you go on to making the sheet. If you can't even do a single sprite well, you'll never manage a full sheet of them.
@Hoeloe
*deep breath*
Okay, I respect your opinion, but I'm just going to disagree with it. So I'm going to tell you my opinion. Are these sprites perfect? No. Do they animate well? Yes, you can see that here and here (they animated well even without being fixed, or colored). Does a game need perfection? No, we have bugs and glitches on about every game ever made. Mine-Craft became successful, but look at it, are the sprites (aka skins) good? No! I'm not yelling, but maybe my idea of a game would be best if I made the sprites the way they are now. As for making a full sprite sheet, who cares?! It's not done because what if I found another way to improve it? I don't know if you noticed, but there are similar body patterns I am copying and pasting. Also, don't start with me on saying I'm a horrible spriter. You can't just say that, especially when every game has its own artistic way to represent its characters. Please, next time when you post, actually try to not be so negative and down right mean. Sorry about that, but not everything is perfect. Cool {IZ ALL COOL THOUGH)
And yeah, They changed quite a bit since last time. Did you even look at them in 300% (Yes, the shading does pop out when magnified)? Oh, and for last time, I wasn't making an excuse, that was an opinion... Rolleyes
Thanked by:
Quote:don't start with me on saying I'm a horrible spriter. You can't just say that
You're a horrible spriter. There, I said it.

I wanna be nice here, but I don't like your attitude.

If you don't want any negative criticisms, then don't post at all Big Grin
You need to be willing to accept whatever shit we throw at you, 'cause there's going to be alot of it.

For now, do what Hoeloe said, focus on one at a time; Because I don't think they animate well.

Start with the run animation. Animate that by itself and post it here and I'll be as nice as I can trying to help you with it.
Thanked by: