Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
La Chique Custom Sprite thread.
Kay, so I'm trying to get into making sprites but I need some if your help Smile

[Image: updatee.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, ~Axis~
Oh, was this image blown up? (did you re-size it?) I would suggest that if you post re-sized sprites, you post them alongside their
1x (original size) counterparts.

As for this sprite itself, Kirby yes? Did you use a circle tool with anti-aliasing enabled, or did you do that yourself? Either way, It's not
really needed. the limbs seem to just be tacked on.. Not really too much else to say about it really, sorry.

Is this your first try at spriting? I would suggest you try something a little less.. amorphous. Kirby would seem like an awfully easy
character to sprite, but he can prove quite challenging. His general lack of anatomy can be difficult to grasp. I would try spriting
something more realistic, that is to say something with limbs, or human proportions.

Please don't take offence at any of this, I don't mean to come off as condescending. I just figured I'd say all this before someone
else did.
(05-23-2012, 09:36 PM)Popcorn Wrote: Not bad, but you should try something else before tackling a complex character like Kirby
Try some Megaman recolors first

im asking myself the same god damn question.
Yeah I'm totally gonna recolor stu.... what?

I added the AA myself.
Thanked by:
Yes but you obviously have absolutely no comprehension as to why and how and when you apply antialias.

Antialias on the outside? Almost absolutely never because that way, your sprite won't work on varying backgrounds.

Also, you upscaled it using a floating point scaling factor. Only upscsale with 2x, 3x, 4x etc whole numbers. Also, don't upscsale.

Did you ever look at a sprite? By which I mean, taken a close look trying to figure out how the pixel clusters work? I guess not. You really should. Because honestly, this Kirby is one of the worst Kirby's I've ever seen (including my own).

Excuse me if I sound rude or accusing. It is just that your sprite shows that you either
a) didn't think about what you were doing and just applied a bunch of techniques you don't know
b) wanted to be funny with a troll sprite we've had these stories their not funny.

tl;dr Don't use antialias when it is not needed. Don't use it on the outside (unless you work with alpha channels but noone does that). Think about why you are doing what with your pixels. Present sprites on 1x scale (if you feel the need to post higher res, keep the whole number factors in mind and put the 1x scale on the pic, too). If you're totally new to spriting, don't start with advanced techniques like AA but try to learn the basics first (lineart / shape, basic shading).
Sorry about that, I sorta thought it was a troll thread when I saw your post count :/
Idiot, I am

You should remove the AA, it just makes it look blurry when you don't do it right
Look at a reference, See how the size of his legs/arms compared to his body
Don't use the circle tool for any reason, a lot programs make circles weird at such a small scale.
Thanked by:
I made the whole sprite myself, including the circle Tongue

And no, I'm not trolling. I''m just a model ripper who tries to learn some spriting Tongue

Yeah, it sucks...
Thanked by: Garamonde
Good attempt, to be honest. The AA is a bit messy, and the light grey would only work on white backgrounds if Kirby where to be transparent. Don't bother doing recolors, keep trying to do custom sprites! Just read up on how AA'ing should work, and various types of other not-to-do's and techniques that could be explained here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_po...?TID=11299

Wink Good luck!
Heart
Thanked by: Garamonde
I tried to help him some before he made this thread, and yes he was using a reference. He's just new to this, so he needs some friendly guidance to be able to get better.
For now I would remove the shine and focus more on the lines as everyone has said. I also recommend trying to make the sprite a bit bigger (try drawing a larger circle to start, then you can add more detail to it later on).
That dark shade of red on his feet is also unnecessary, so replace it with black for now.
Otherwise, this is a nice first attempt!
One more thing, don't say it sucks, because A: you'll get better with time, and B: it makes you look like a baby. Tongue
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: Sevenstitch
Try some recoloring first before you get to full custom spriting so you can get a general idea of how shading and pixel placement works. That's how I learned how to shade and make custom sprites.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by:
are you fucking kidding? I can just paintbucket the recolor, it really isn't that hard.
(05-24-2012, 09:39 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: Try some recoloring first before you get to full custom spriting so you can get a general idea of how shading and pixel placement works. That's how I learned how to shade and make custom sprites.
I know. But once you get the hang of choosing the right colors for your recolors, then you'll know the color differences between shades.
Thanked by:
(05-24-2012, 09:57 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: I know. But once you get the hang of choosing the right colors for your recolors, then you'll know the color differences between shades.
Why not just learn what colors to use on a custom sprite? Why does it have to be a recolor?
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

(05-24-2012, 10:00 AM)Sh@de Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 09:57 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: I know. But once you get the hang of choosing the right colors for your recolors, then you'll know the color differences between shades.
Why not just learn what colors to use on a custom sprite? Why does it have to be a recolor?

I was just stating one way on how to learn. There are other ways though. This just worked for me.
Thanked by: