Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Some sort of Mario sprite I'll probably never finish
[Image: mWhry.gif]
This was a sprite I was originally gonna put into a Super Mario World hack, but I decided I might want to give this little guy full animations (such as a real walk cycle in lieu of SMW's one-foot-forward walk).

Any glaring ugliness/es I should fix before I move on?
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
Thanked by:
I'm not sure what Mario sprites should look like, but the colors look wired.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by:
(05-22-2012, 02:32 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: I'm not sure what Mario sprites should look like, but the colors look wired.
What's off about the colors? Could you please be a bit more specific?
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
Thanked by:
Well, mario's skin has a red-ish hue. Not only the skin, but everything kind of does.
Thanked by:
oversaturated.
Thanked by: ~Axis~, BullockDS, Garamonde
Well, thanks guys! Part of the problem was that Microsoft GIF Animator kinda screwed up the palette, but looking back, it did seem a bit too saturated even before. Smile

[Image: 2MYRS.png][Image: mWhry.gif]
The sprite on the left is the new color scheme. This any better?
Thanked by:
(05-22-2012, 02:57 AM)Meta Wrote: oversaturated.

Not just that. The colors don't fit mario well. Try looking at mario sprites from the DS series. See how they look?

Thanked by:
they look even more saturated thanks to the neon green background they were placed on.

also "the colors doesnt fit mario" doesnt really says much when the sprites are actually using the RED/BLUE color scheme mario has always used.
Thanked by: Medevenx, Garamonde
What I meant was Mario's skin has a little red hue that it shouldn't have. Take out the red hue, and you get normal mario. He should have cream-ish type skin.
Thanked by:
The reddish hue could also be part of the look he's going for... sometimes characters are sprited in different styles and shades than their official sprites and still look good you know.
I don't mind the hue-shift myself, I think it's interesting.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: BullockDS
Well, his skin does appear a tad dark, though. His head seems to be placed a bit too far back.

Also,
(05-22-2012, 03:03 AM)BullockDS Wrote: Microsoft GIF Animator kinda screwed up the palette
Check my sig Nerd
Thank you all again for the criticisms! Big Grin

[Image: xLUHb.gif][Image: 2MYRS.png]
Left is new; right is previous.
(05-22-2012, 01:45 PM)BullockDS Wrote: [Image: xLUHb.gif][Image: 2MYRS.png]

But that looks nothing like Previous!
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
(05-22-2012, 01:45 PM)BullockDS Wrote: Thank you all again for the criticisms! Big Grin

[Image: xLUHb.gif][Image: previous.png]
Mighty Jetters Wrote:But that looks nothing like Previous!

Image has been fixed. Smile I really like this take on Mario myself. The colors really pop. You mentioned
in your first post that this was originally intended for a SMW hack? If you do decide to go down that
road, you'll have to make pretty much every other graphic for it as well. Drag this sprite over any
screenshot of SMW, and I think you'll agree that they simply don't mesh. Just my two cents.

As for Mario himself, I really have no problems with him. You've solved the skin issue; I think he's
good to go.
Haha :-)

Yep, lookin' good!
Thanked by: