Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A simple questions to all Sonic fans.
Thumbs Down 
Hey guys! I wanted to ask you a simple question. What is your favorite gamplay feature that you like out of any sonic game you've ever played? I need this information for a fan game I'm going to begin. Please state what you like, and why you like it. I NEED your help.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by:
Well, I wouldn't call myself a Sonic "fan", but I've played one or two of the classic sidescrollers and I think I could be helpful.

One thing I loved about the Sonic games were those pinball-ish type levels. The bits where you roll into a ball, and then all these boosts and stuff rocket you through pipes, with cool effects and all.
[Image: s2-cnz-objectsimg3full.png]

And if you can, adding in Tails as a CPU or second player would be cool.

Not sure if I'm gonna play it or not when it comes out, but if I do I'd love to have these 2 things.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: ~Axis~
Thanks, Puggsoy! Any thing else you liked? Everyone reading this, tell me all you love about sonic games.
Thanked by:
Speed. Cute

*puts this in so I won't be spamming* Speed is the best part of a Sonic game. Cute
The entire concept of Knuckles was really cool.
He took all of Sonic's best features and preserved them, while adding in new ones of his own.
The gliding and wall climbing were a natural fit.

I like Super Sonic/Hyper Knuckles/Turbo Tails (and their level 2 master emerald variants)

I really like the spindash, but only when done correctly.
Sonic CD style spindashing and Sonic Generations do not do it right.
Sonic 2 - 3K are how spindashing should be.

I know they're not classic Sonic games, but I found the powerups and item upgrades from the Adventure games to be really cool.
Getting new abilities later in the game and then being able to go back to earlier levels and access new paths was cool.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: recme, ~Axis~
(05-20-2012, 06:07 PM)Vipershark Wrote: The entire concept of Knuckles was really cool.
He took all of Sonic's best features and preserved them, while adding in new ones of his own.
The gliding and wall climbing were a natural fit.

I like Super Sonic/Hyper Knuckles/Turbo Tails (and their level 2 master emerald variants)

I really like the spindash, but only when done correctly.
Sonic CD style spindashing and Sonic Generations do not do it right.
Sonic 2 - 3K are how spindashing should be.

I know they're not classic Sonic games, but I found the powerups and item upgrades from the Adventure games to be really cool.
Getting new abilities later in the game and then being able to go back to earlier levels and access new paths was cool.

So, what was your favorite abilities? Light speed dash? Which super form did you enjoy most? Super, or Hyper? How would you want modern sonic to spin dash?

Anything else? (this goes to all who read this, remember it can be from ANY sonic game you like)
Thanked by:
Isn't this supposed to be in the Gaming Discussion Cute?
Thanked by:
does mighty the armadillo's inclusion count as a gameplay feature

hehe no, i'm kidding. i'd have to say the instashield.

i love the instashield. it's just fun to experiment with, whether it's getting double hits on a boss, or reaching it when you're not intended to.
Spindashing in a modern sonic game?
The adventure games got that right, I suppose.
By "modern", do you mean unleashed-style on-rails gameplay or Adventure/2006 style gameplay?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
(05-21-2012, 01:12 AM)Vipershark Wrote: Spindashing in a modern sonic game?
By "modern", do you mean unleashed-style on-rails gameplay or Adventure/2006 style gameplay?

Kind of a mixture of both. I was planning to make tha fan game revolve around the Sonic Generations style (boosting, sliding, etc...), while still keeping the exploration and freedom of the Adventure/2006 games.

That's a good one Crappy blue luigi!

(05-21-2012, 01:12 AM)Vipershark Wrote: Spindashing in a modern sonic game?
Thanked by:
Spindashing does not work in 3D at all. It sucked in SA and was OP. It was slightly better in SA2 but it was a little bit underpower and overpowered at a time (UP for normal players, OP for speedrunners)
It wasn't very balanced. The SA Spindash was funky as hell and fucking hard to control. Try spindashing in Emerald coast in some places and you'll fall through the map. In later stages, spindashing wasn't even needed anymore, atleast, excluding the Red Mountain speed part which was only a few inches. There was good balance between speed and platforming though, just so that you know that Tongue SA2 Spindashing was unbalanced as crap, it was kinda slow compared to SA and was abit... meh... It kinda ruins the sense of speed. Try spindashing in Green Forest Tongue You'll bump into stuff and come to a instant stop... kinda broken. I loved the placement of dashpads in SA/2 (you can kill me now if you want to Tongue) It totally made the game feel faster. SA2 in general was far slower then SA but it wasn't much of a problem. You could atleast enjoy the environments unlike Sonic Generations where your goal was to go FASTER!!!! BOOSSSTT!!!!!. You get the point. I could make a documentary about why I love these games so much. NEW TOPIC! : Eggman's and Tails' sections in SA2/B
Nice description! I think what made the spindash suck was the level design. It could have been better, but... Meh...

How about Sonic 2006? How was spindashing there? Any thing you love?
Thanked by:
Does not sucking count as a gameplay feature?

The closer you are to Sonic 2 the better. Seriously though: Good physics and level design are the most important things. Feel free to throw in some cool pretty much automatic nice looking bits but everything else can wait. The "features" of each level should emerge from your level design, not the other way round.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
The level design wasn't that bad at all, it just didn't fit with the spindash. Sonic 2 had to best spindash in all of the series. SGenerations spindash was just damn weird (Rolling didn't work, Spindash was waaay to fast, and you could easily fly through the level... literally). But 2D Sonic games without some kind of speed upgrade are kinda slow (Sonic 1 was veery slow compared to its successor) I'd love to see Sonic's new direction that they announced. I'd love to if it's going to be like '06, or worse.. Or the best game in the Sonic franchise (Which would be DAMN F- hard compared to how f- good the originals were, especially Sonic 3 + S3 & Knuckles.

Oh, I'm still waiting for Silver to get his own game, it would totally own!
Thanked by:
What would you think of Sonic Adventure fused with Sonic Generations (modern stages)? The speed of generations, and exploration and freedom aspect of SA... Smile
Thanked by: