Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Utter newbie, desire instructions (psx)
Question 
Basically, I got an old ps1 game off ebay (Gex 3d Enter the Gecko) and after playing for a bit, found an awesome texture, so awesome that I wanted it. So I went online, looked up how to rip textures from ps1 games, found this site with all its helpful instructions, and got started.
3d Ripper DX doesn't work for me(gives an error then crashes), so I used PVV.
I figured out which area was the pallettes and even managed to get a few unrelated textures out using the '8 bpp' pallete option but couldn't find the gold square pattern I was after.

Any idea what I should try? also, this isn't a request for anyone to do it for me, after all I'd like to learn how to do this for future reference - Basically, which part of the output should I watch as I scroll through the pallettes?

Pic of the tex I'm after: http://tnypic.net/a83c3.png

Save state (epsxe): https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1l4zlq91a5hes...005.96.zip
Thanked by:
Even though this post was reported, this is not a request, but a question asking what he could do to rip the textures on his own, so I will not issue a warning.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Aw, it was reported? I guess it wasn't clear enough that yes, as the friendly mod said, I meant 'how can I do it on my own' and not 'do this for me'.

And I did manage to get a bunch of other things such as some curtains, a gex head and a yin-yang symbol. I just couldn't find the gold square texture, and wanted to know, am I even looking in the right place?
I don't understand the technicalities of anything since it was what I could do in 3 hours with the aid of google to teach me something I'd never considered before; but all I can think of is a) maybe the program I was using (PVV) couldn't see the part of it where the texture was stored or something. Or b) it could simply be that it is right in front if me and I couldn't see it.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanked by: Garamonde
I wish I could help you, but I have yet to venture into PSX ripping myself (though I plan on it)... But I do know of a program called PSX VRAM, that people have ripped PSX graphics with, and is supposed to be the best from what I'v heard. Unfortunately, I've never used it (as you can tell, having never ripped from PSX), so I couldn't help you with the usage. What I can tell you though is that there is a member here by the name of Davy Jones (he has a thread under the "Spriters Resource > Ripping Projects" forums who has used the program more than anyone here, so he could assist you with how to use it if you need it (he's generally rather prompt in replying to PMs). Hope that helps! Smile
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Using PSX-VRAM, I've found the texture, but I can't find the palette...
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Garamonde
Sweet, you found it? If you tell me where it is, then I can attempt to figure out which palette it belongs to. (the palettes are here, by the way: )
If anyone is curious, bored, or just collects sprites, this is all of what I managed to get. [Image: a35a0.png]
Thanked by: