Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Puggsoy's Video Game Sound Converter
Video Game Sound Converter (a.k.a VGS Converter or just VGSC) is a program that basically has the ability to convert a range of different video game audio formats into .wav files. It can do multiple files at once, and it can be a mixture of formats.
The program uses a library called vgmstream, which does that actual converting. The range of file formats is quite large, and will hopefully include what people here wish to convert.

How to use
There are two ways to use this. The first and most straightforward way is to just open VGSC.exe, you'll see this:

[Image: ibs8D9k9KtpRZS.png]

A file opening dialog will come up. Navigate to and select the files you want to convert. Now a folder selection dialog will appear; use that to select the folder you want the converted files to be saved in (note: the folder must exist beforehand). You'll see a bunch of text come up, similar to this:

[Image: ihiK3VucM23xC.png]

The other way you can run it is just through the command-line, either using the command prompt or writing a .bat file. This is the usage:

Code:
VGSC inDir outDir
    inDir: Path to directory containing files to convert
    outDir: Path to directory where converted files will be saved

I'm planning to add extra optional arguments that affect how the files are converted in the future. For now however, this is probably not the option most people will use.

Compatability
Here is a list of the currently supported files according to the vgmstream readme (you can find the readme itself in the vgmstream subfolder of the application). I can't guarantee that all or most of these will work, I've only tested a few of them. However I believe that as long as you got the file from the console associated with its extension below (e.g. a .ss2 file from a PSX game), you should have no trouble converting it.

This compatibility list is from the readme, which hasn't been updated in a while. This is most likely because no major formats or features have been added, but there have been slight fixes and tweaks (hence newer vgmstream versions in each release), which you can view on the vgmstream SourceForge changelog. The changes made are mostly relatively small and only matter for specific situations and thus I'm not going to update VGSC for each revision, only when I update VGSC itself or if significant changes have been made to it. However, if you want me to update VGSC to a new revision of vgmstream for a specific purpose, feel free to say so.

Download
You can download the latest version, v2.0, here. The program is only available for Windows.

History log

Version 2.0 (Latest version)
-Rewritten in Haxe
-Better stability
-No installer required
-No runtime required, runs natively
-Updated vgmstream to r1024

Version 1.2 (Download)
-Implemented file adding/removing system
-Allowed dragging files into window
-Allowed adding of folders and their subfolders
-Made the window resizable
-The application now remembers the last folder you added files from
-Updated vgmstream to r1007

Version 1.1 (Download)
-Added save location options.
-Updated vgmstream to r979

Version 1.0 (Download)
Initial release. Uses vgmstream r975.

If you find any bugs, have any questions, or think the compatibility list is wrong, please post here. Comments on how awesome you think this is are also welcome, of course Wink
Wow this will really come in handy Big Grin
Thanked by: puggsoy
This will be useful, now I can rip SE from games I couldn't before!

... Yet it appears to re-direct me elsewhere. So what I reccomend is uploading it onto mediafire.
Thanked by: Ploaj, puggsoy, kilik
Sorry about that. Google Drive struggles with direct links, looks like it's not working for people other than me.

I've changed it so that it's not a direct link. It should work now, but if it doesn't I'll use Mediafire.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Previous, Gaia
Good, now that I downloaded it making music and sound through a rom should be easier (I have two certain roms that can do that).
Thanked by:
Wow Puggsoy! This tool will come in very handy! Thanks for making it! Are you planning to put in more any compatible formats? Just wondering...
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
(05-13-2012, 02:33 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: Wow Puggsoy! This tool will come in very handy! Thanks for making it! Are you planning to put in more any compatible formats? Just wondering...
If you had actually read his description, you'd know that format support is up to vgmstream ;-)
Thanked by: puggsoy, Garamonde
Indeed, as Previous says, I can't decide which formats are supported, that's up to vgmstream. I'll check every now and then, and will update the program with any new versions of vgmstream that may appear, but last I checked the project doesn't seem very active. If I ever get into it, I might be able to expand it myself, but for the time being I'm afraid I can't do much. The current range is still pretty wide though, only the newer consoles (Wii (U), 3DS, etc) might use unknown formats.
However I might occasionally add some other features that I do have control over, such as allowing you to choose vgmstream parameters. If I can find a way, I might even be able to let users choose an output folder (instead of the .wav files being in the same folder as the original files.)

By the way, Google Drive doesn't really seem fit for public file sharing as much as private file storage, so I've updated the link to a Mediafire one. There should be no more problems with downloading now. It's still the same app though, no changes or updates.

EDIT: Huh, it seems that vgmstream is still active, the most recent update (the one that's used in VGS Converter right now) was from the 21st of March this year. I'm following the page for changes now, and will update this VGS Converter whenever a useful new version appears. Some versions may add nothing useful for my app though, in those cases I obviously won't update.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Previous, Garamonde
OK, right, really sorry about this. I tested my app after installation for the first time (all other tests had been debug runs during development), and I noticed that it doesn't actually work. Well, it opened, but it didn't convert the files, or even attempt to. Don't know why nobody else reported it, but I'm guessing that no-one's used it yet.

Anyway, figured out what was wrong (application options required for release that I changed just before I released it messed it up) and fixed it. I decided to add the version number to the end of the installer to keep track, and I changed the installer's folder options a little bit (it automatically creates a subfolder for the folder you select). It's also an .exe now, instead of .air.
Anyway this isn't an update, I haven't added anything only fixed it, but anybody who's already downloaded the old version should get this instead. Just use the same link in the first post, I re-linked it.
Thanked by: Previous, Garamonde, Ploaj
Oh damn yes, I was waiting for a gui version of Vgmstream so I could mass convert stuff. Thanks man!
Thanked by: Previous, puggsoy
Welp, sorry, but apparently, I don't have any weird exotic audio files for conversion. The weirdest stuff I have are some .rws files (from Silent Hill Origins, PSP) which are not accepted (but play just fine in MediaPlayer Classic (while WinAmp rejects them)). Sooo I can't really test it. Sorry.
Thanked by: Garamonde, puggsoy
Right, a new version's out!

Version 1.1
Download

Not much new going on here, but you now have more options of where your converted files go. You can choose to keep them in the same folder as the originals, in a new folder called "wavs" (within the original folder), or you can choose a totally different directory altogether.
This took some time to actually get working, so it's possible that it might not function properly under certain circumstances. Please be sure to say if you notice anything weird, especially file type incompatibility where there shouldn't be (since that's what most errors will result in).

I also updated it with the newest version of vgmstream (r797, released on 15 May), although the readme doesn't mention any new formats, and I couldn't find anything different. Maybe it's just more stable, I dunno.

If you have any suggestions for future features (NOT additional formats), feel free to post them here (or PM me if you'd prefer, whatever).
Thanked by: Garamonde, TGE
I FUCKING LOVE THIS PROGRAM!
I've been using it alot, because I'm porting SA2 music to Generations.
Anyone who wants a beta, pm me.
I glad you like it so much, it's good to know I'm helping people! Be sure to tell me if you stumble upon a format or something that's in the compatibility list but doesn't work, or have any problems with save locations.
Thanked by: TGE
Thanks!!! This is useful!!! Now I can convert the sound files I need!!!
''ERROR!!! NO SIGNATURE AVAILABLE!!!''